Help

Options
I have been working out consistently and alot of circuit training with light weights/ push ups etc. I have gained weight . I m confused my BMR 1438.4, so I changed my calorie intake to 1450. Dont really understand the Net at all. Need to know how I can lose 20 pounds. Can someone break it down to me if you can help me.

weight 152.2
BMR-1438.4

I work out 3-4 times a week.

Thanks

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    BMR is your starting point. Before we figure out caloric intake, we need to know what your daily lifestyle is like. Are you active or sit behind a desk. More than likely, you should be around 1600 calories but here are some numbers that will estimate it. Also consider the last few pounds require you to eat more but...

Desk Job
    TDEE = 1438 * 1.2 + 400 (calories from workout, estimated) = 2125

Add a 20% deficit (much better than the standard 250 or 500 calories )

Caloric Need = 2125 * .8 = 1700

If you are a bit more active (stay at home mother, nurse, teacher)

TDEE = 1438 * 1.375 + 400 = 2373

Caloric Need = 2373 * .8 = 1898 (~1900 calories needed)

Once we figure out your lifestyle, we can do the rest.
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Not sure but I do know that muscle weighs more than fat and if you're building muscles then your weight could go up. I think that at this stage, I'd be looking at body measurements and not the scale. Measure yourself once a week and see if there is a difference. Hope this helps and keep up the great job working out:bigsmile:
  • bebegettingtheweightoff
    Options
    I do sit behind a desk the majority of the day. I am very active with my kids, moving around a bit but work out 3-4 times a week,
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If I was you, I would eat 1800 calories and don't eat back your exercise calories.
    Options
    I have lost some inches but not much been working out 3-4 times since Jan.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Not sure but I do know that muscle weighs more than fat and if you're building muscles then your weight could go up. I think that at this stage, I'd be looking at body measurements and not the scale. Measure yourself once a week and see if there is a difference. Hope this helps and keep up the great job working out:bigsmile:
    Yes, but it's very very difficult to build muscle on a calorie deficit. You have to eat closer to maintenance or even a surplus.
    Options
    Ok I will try that thanks
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Ok I will try that thanks

ps- you may have to give it a month to allow for you body to work. And in fact, you may gain a lb or two when you initially up your calories, but it will come back down.