exercises for stomach/belly fat

Options
Ok...before you start butchering me with..'you can't specify where you want to lose weight'...I KNOW THIS! :laugh:

Just curious - are there any specific kinds of exercises that i could be doing for my stomach? i have noticed a change in my body everywhere except there. I have the type of LOVELY stomach where it is the upper area that is the biggest and most flabby (also most unhealthy)...no matter what I do it seems it is not getting smaller...my lower stomach/pelvic area has gotten noticeably slimmer...

as info..i've lost 17lbs so far, i am 5'3 and i still have about 45 to go!

I work out 5-6 days a week..i usually do cardio between 40-60 min, and alternate days with strength training/weights.

thanks and happy thursday!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue (huge upper belly!).

Pilates and weight loss yoga(i use the dvd) SEEMS to be helping..but i know its not spot specific. I figure it can't hurt - building up a strong core will help in all sorts of ways!

Congrats on your losses so far!!
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Cardio and weight training is helping me start to reduce it. Also WATER WATER WATER! :)
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that when I cut sugar out of my diet and focus on core exercises, my stomach tends to flatten out faster...try pilates and core exercises...they're also great for building balance!
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Just eat a calorie deficit and workout. No matter how many crunches and situps you do, it would never target your belly fat. Abs = low body fat, if you want to get rid of your belly fat and eventually see your abs, you need less than 10-12% body fat.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit and strength training. (the deficit can come from diet alone or a combination of diet and exercise)
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    Same problem! (Except my thighs still look huge too! :D)
  • erickirb
    Options
    Just eat a calorie deficit and workout. No matter how many crunches and situps you do, it would never target your belly fat. Abs = low body fat, if you want to get rid of your belly fat and eventually see your abs, you need less than 10-12% body fat.

OP is a woman, so she should be able to see abs at 15%, women should not go lower than 10-13% as that is the amount of essential fat, men's essential fat is only 3-5%.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    30 day shred x
  • akiramezu
    Options
    I will say it again, calorie deficit and workout. You cannot target specific body parts with exercise in hoping that it will burn the fat in that area. IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!
  • xxxAimeeHxxx
    xxxAimeeHxxx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Your body Burns Sugary before it burns fat. the less sugar you eat the sooner your body can focus on burning the fat.

xx
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    if you haven't tried this already, you could try alternating the kinds of cardio workouts that you're doing. for example, one day you could run, the next day you could do a bike, the next day elliptical, the next day jump rope, the next day zumba. i've read in MANY sources that changing up your workout tricks your body into burning more fat.

also, i would say you should do cardio every day (as in, every day of the 5 to 6 days that you're working out), because cardio is gonna burn fat. also try doing cardio right after a strength training session (because right after a strength training session your metabolism is on monster mode and will burn crazy calories, so you will get twice the benefits of the cardio burn). every time i do that, i wake up the next morning at least a pound lighter (it's crazy!).

and one last thing, a fun way to get cardio and strength is circuit training - i use dvd's by Bob Harper like Total Body Transformation and Pure Burn Super Strength. I have a hrm so i can see that these burn crazy calories!! I have like 8 DVD's, so basically every day of the week I'm doing a totally different workout to try to freak out my body and make it work extra hard.

I hope this helps!!
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks for the posts so far!!! :heart:

I have to say - I'm not trying to see my abs! I don't want a rock hard stomach. I just want it to be somewhat smooth/flat. I have curves and I love em - I don't want to be skinny - I just wish I could lose a little in my upper stomach..

I have noticed - and I think this may be leading to it...given I am VERY big chested (not a good thing!) i tend to slouch a lot because my back and shoulders constantly kill. I believe that is why my stomach looks the way it does..from years and years of bad posture!

I am goin to try the pilates and core exercises..like you said it will help with my balance too..and I need that!! :tongue:
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    need to reduce body fat. Just not quite how to go about that.
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I will say it again, calorie deficit and workout. You cannot target specific body parts with exercise in hoping that it will burn the fat in that area. IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!

lmao..i know this! did you read the first sentence in my post??

i have a calorie deficit of at least 500 a day, plus i'm working out a ton...i just have to keep at it!!
  • akiramezu
    Options
    Your body Burns Sugary before it burns fat. the less sugar you eat the sooner your body can focus on burning the fat.

xx

Wow...
  • erickirb
    Options

xx

No, if you are in a deficit it does not matter where the cals come for weight loss.
  • akiramezu
    Options

lmao..i know this! did you read the first sentence in my post??

i have a calorie deficit of at least 500 a day, plus i'm working out a ton...i just have to keep at it!!

I know i know :P. Also, most people tend to lose their belly fat LAST compared to other parts of their body, hence why abs are so hard to get, so your right, just keep at it
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Front squats, Dragon flags and Deadlifts.
  • McMeggers
    McMeggers Posts: 22 Member
    Options

OP is a woman, so she should be able to see abs at 15%, women should not go lower than 10-13% as that is the amount of essential fat, men's essential fat is only 3-5%.

wahhhh thats not fair :(
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating Tae Bo Insane Abs into your routine.