Apples

Options
JoolieW68
JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
I want to increase my fiber intake some (only getting about half of what I probably should each day), and thought I'd add apples. I like apples, but in the past have mostly bought Red Delicious and sometimes they are mushy (or at least not super crunchy) by the time I get around to eating the last one or 2. I also like Honey Crisp, but they are only available in my area in the fall.

Curious what kinds of apples you guys like, and do you do anything special to keep them 'fresh' (keep in fridge, keep in paper bag, etc).

Replies

• samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Pink lady are very good.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Gala or Fuji!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Gala & Empire :)
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    empire or cortland
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    When its not fall/apple season, I stick to Royal Gala. I believe it's a mix of red delicious and another type. I find they stay fresh for a good long time... i eat one a day usually, and I'll buy about 10 at a time. What I have found is that the ones that are a little more elongated in shape (more like a red delicious shape) as opposed to round shape, and have some red on the skin or a striated colour pattern on the skin are the sweetest and best flavour. :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Braeburns are really good too!
  • colgosling
    colgosling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Pink Lady are my favourite, lovely and crunchy :)
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    fuji (with peanut butter)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Pink lady are very good.

pink lady are amazing. I get them much cheaper from aldi. They are the only apples i like and keep well in the fruit bowl x
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a cold Granny Smith apple - wonderfully crisp.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Fuji all the way!
  • MomofAnt
    MomofAnt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fuji for sweetness & Braeburn if I want a little more tart
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Gala, Honey Crisp, or Pink lady. If I can't find anything good but still need the crunch, I will pick up a trusty granny smith!
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I eat two red delicious apples every day (one at breakfast and one for an afternoon snack). I only buy red delicious and they are always crunchy. I keep mine in the fruit/crisper drawer in the fridge. LOVE them!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    pink lady, gala and my all time fav honeycrisp!
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Golden delicious/Gala.......not a big fan of Apples, but this what I eat when in the mood............with a littl peanut butter, yum
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like Rome & golden delicious. You can always see what is currently available in your area at this time, then look up online their charasteristics. This week at my MOPS meeting we had organic farmers over, and as a side discussion mentioned how Red Delicious are popular mostly since they are a nice red color and therefore very marketable.

I found a site that looks like a good resource for finding out about apple charasteristics
    http://www.orangepippin.com/apples
  • pslwalker
    pslwalker Posts: 13
    Options
    I love Honey Crisp too! But when they are not available I go for Pink Lady, Fuji or Gala. You are right about the Red Delicious, they are mushy (my husband only eats Red Delicious.) I read something about apples and don't know if it is a fact but they said that eating an apple gives you the same boost as a cup of coffee. I usually save my apple for that afternoon slump. Most times it works.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My faves are pink lady, but like honey crisp have a very limited availability. My preferences are more by color after that. I like the ones that are both red and gold most. After that, I'll take the ones that are just golden, then the ones that are green. I do not eat the red ones if I can help it because the skins are usually bitter and they get mushy too fast.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Red Delicious apples are the best. Or Golden Delicious. Of course, I only like them when they are fresh and crunchy. I hate mushy apples.