AM workouts vs. PM workouts

Options
13»

Replies

• raineraven78
    raineraven78 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting. I wish I was a morning person and could get my workout done in the AM. Having a daughter to get ready before work and school makes for a crazy busy morning and we have very long days - I am gone 11 hours a day and don't get home until 6 in the evening. Then I have to get in my workout, make dinner, spend time with my daughter and work on her homework and then there's pretty much no time left for me. Having said all that, there are many evenings that I end up skipping my workout because I am simply too tired and/or want to spend the time with my girl. I wish I had time to get the required 8 hours of sleep and get in an AM workout because I think it would be more beneficial for me.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I trying to explain the benefits of AM workouts to a friend, can you help? I am an avid MORNING workout person. The reason is that I feel the morning is when all the SUPER serious people go to workout because :

-It's less crowded

-You burn more calories

-You start the day off with a bang

-You workout after being well rested.

Most of the SUPER fit people that I know workout in the morning (or at least try). I am not saying that "afternoon people" are not as motivated BUT you have to admit that the PM is where you see all the "posers" and the fashion shows at the gym. Also afternoon people tend to flake and fail more often. What do you think ?

PM "poser" checking in. I prefer the pm that way if I have a **itty day I can let some aggression out. It beats clubbing baby seals.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I swing both ways!

I have classes I like to go to and there is an EARLY *kitten* one on Tuesday and Saturdays I go to - BUT then on Mon/Wed/Thur and Fri there are classes at 7:30 PM - I used to be an AVID early am person - but have switched it around and like a little of both -

I agree get it where and when you can!!
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a morning workout person...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I trying to explain the benefits of AM workouts to a friend, can you help? I am an avid MORNING workout person. The reason is that I feel the morning is when all the SUPER serious people go to workout because :

-It's less crowded

-You burn more calories

Most of the SUPER fit people that I know workout in the morning (or at least try). I am not saying that "afternoon people" are not as motivated BUT you have to admit that the PM is where you see all the "posers" and the fashion shows at the gym. Also afternoon people tend to flake and fail more often. What do you think ?

This is just a lot of self-congratulatory boo-yah.

Different strategies work for different people. There is no inherent benefit --physical or otherwise -- to working out in the morning.

Many people like to do it for behavioral or psychological reasons, but that just means the particular schedule meets their needs, not that it has some universal benefit.

For all of your chest thumping about the SUPER fit people, I see just as many people at 5 am who are rigid and mechanical about their programs and do the same thing EVERY day. They are no more fit today than they were 2 years ago.

I would never assume that my particular routine is the "best" for everyone, just because it suits me.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I've heard that people that work out in the mornings feel more self righteous.

+1
  • kidakiwi04
    kidakiwi04 Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm an am workout person. Mostly because I found that if I put it ouch to later in the day I wind up coming with several very good logical excuses why I can't make it to the gym. So for me it's simply to get it out of the way.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options

-It's less crowded

-You burn more calories

Different strokes for different folks. Whichever produces your best workout results should be the #1 objective. Period. The rest of the stuff is window dressing.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    :drinker: PM poser here!!:tongue:

Oh and just had to say...Azdak, I :heart: your avatar!!
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    ^^^ YES

-It's less crowded

-You burn more calories

YIKES. Jaw dropped with seeing your initial post as it is overly generalistic and pretty judgmental. I am an AMer... but to each their own. Anyone at the gym, no matter what time, is doing more than sitting on their *kitten* in front of the TV.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options

-It's less crowded

-You burn more calories

What the heck did I just read?

Edit: Also, I work out in the evening.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I am an advocate for whatever fits you and your lifestyle the best. I am NOT getting up at 6 am to workout! NOT GONNA HAPPEN! I will workout at 5 pm, 6pm, 7pm, 8pm, 9pm, 10 pm and maybe even 11 pm. Only time you see AM behind a workout is Saturday mornings and it is 9 am for the gym that is 5 blocks away LOL I can roll out of bed 15 mins before class - get dressed, brushed me teeth and walk there right on time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More of the classes I like are offered in the evening in my area.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I am a late night workout person. I am a night owl. I work second shift. There's NO WAY in hell that I'm getting up early to go workout. I have more energy at night and am in a far better frame of mind to face working out at night.

Everyone is different and I don't like that we label AM workout people as more productive than people who work out at night. That's just plain silly. You make it sound like AM people care MORE about weight loss, working out, etc than people who workout at night. And that, is just plain silly.
  • katheharwood
    katheharwood Posts: 25 Member
    Options

-It's less crowded

-You burn more calories

[maryloo2011]
    YIKES. Jaw dropped with seeing your initial post as it is overly generalistic and pretty judgmental. I am an AMer... but to each their own. Anyone at the gym, no matter what time, is doing more than sitting on their *kitten* in front of the TV.
    [/quote]

I agree with maryloo2011 and with most responses on here when they say that working out, no matter what time of day, is so much better than not working out at all. Gionni, if your friend is working out on a regular basis you should merit and encourage that person instead of criticizing those who workout in the PM. Each person has a routine that works best for them and that's awesome.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I flake and fail more at A.M. workouts because quite frankly, I like my sleep. I work my *kitten* off all day every day so when it comes time to rest, I rest.

In regards to P.M.ers, I seldomly see "fashion shows" or "posers" at my gym. I go and put in, at minimum, 40 minutes of strength training sessions and take myself to failer, and then ofter turn around and get in some sort of cardio. You ever done cardio after a leg day? Yeah... it's not for "posers".

It doesn't matter what time of day a person works out, it matters that they work out.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Thanks for the burning info, Judgy McJudgerson.