I Just Don't Understand

Options
Poison5119
Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
I'm looking for a yoga class, and can't find one for under $10 per class. There's like 80 studios in Indianapolis, but the COST is SO prohibitive! That's insane! :angry: Like anything else that is supposed to be GOOD for you, overcharge and make it impossible for most people to enjoy it! :angry:

So even at one time per week (which I think would be ineffective), that's $40 a month? Is Yoga only for rich people? WTH???!!!!

My work offers a yoga class, $40 for 6 classes but they won't start one after 6pm. I've asked for one to start at about 6pm, but who knows how that's gonna go?

I'm really really pissed.

Replies

• heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i hear ya!

you could pick up a yoga dvd and do it at home...i did yoga for dunnies once. ONCE. yea, it wasnt for me. one of my great friends recently got certified as an instructor. she looks phenom! :drinker:

good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I've been looking for a low cost cardio kickboxing class and can't find one anywhere cheaper than either $140 a month or $35 a session. Ugh!
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    Bummer. I don't live in Indiana, but my gym is $20-30/month depending on your contract, and they offer yoga classes every day. So have you tried looking into a gym membership that has free classes included?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Some studios offer "karma classes" where you exchange services for classes, or they charge less. Not many, but some.

My best advise would be to take a few classes (there is really no substitute for a good teacher adjusting your poses) and then get some yoga DVDs. You can't go wrong with anything by Rodney Yee, IMHO.

I do hot yoga, and for that I need the studio. I figure their heating bills must be CRAZY, and I'm addicted, so I fork it over.

Not that it's any comfort, but for my city, $10 is really cheap. :tongue:

The expense of yoga is something I'm constantly conflicted about. My gym offers yoga classes, but they suck, so I fork over the extra money.

Feel free to PM me for DVD recommendations depending on your style (there's a yoga style for everyone, IMO)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I love Bob Harper's (The Biggest Loser) Weight Loss Yoga DVD. I highly recommend it.

I go to a Bikram studio - and wow, it's 20$/per session. I spent 140$ for 10 sessions that expire in 3 months.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Here is a website called Yoga tv.net.

It is free and it is yoga!!! This is what I do at home when I can't get Fit TV.

http://yoga-tv.net/
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Bummer. I don't live in Indiana, but my gym is $20-30/month depending on your contract, and they offer yoga classes every day. So have you tried looking into a gym membership that has free classes included?

all classes are included in my gym membership too at lifetime, which is about $40 a month.
  • hamak13
    hamak13 Posts: 11
    Options
    That's a bummer-- I would suggest what others suggest: go gym shopping. For example, there's a gym near my home that offers group classes (you pay for each individual class) owned by a city park district, and there is a gym 11 miles from my home that offers access to every group class on a monthly basis. I can swim, use sauna/steam shower, whirlpool, and a plethora of awesomely instructed classes. There has to be something like that in your town. Remember, yoga is the new black-- it's gonna cost an arm and a leg until it's no longer so popular. I hope this helps.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    check out the local schools. In So Florida we have adult education and continued learning classes and almost every HS has a yoga class and they are around $50 a term.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Options
    I tried DVD/free youtube yoga routines, but I just don't trust myself that I'm doing the poses right -- some of the poses actually cause me some pretty severe pain, so I thought a class would help. Until my gym offers a class at the right time, I'm stuck. Thanks everyone for your imput!! :heart:
  • Mlbnyy2
    Mlbnyy2 Posts: 16
    Options
    What I don't understand is WHY the insurance companies won't let you use your flex card to pay for a gym membership!!! I mean in the long run it will save them a ton of money in health cost:grumble:
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    What I don't understand is WHY the insurance companies won't let you use your flex card to pay for a gym membership!!! I mean in the long run it will save them a ton of money in health cost:grumble:

That's a really good idea! I never thought about that.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I would strongly advise going with an instructor if you're just starting. DVDs are a good follow-up once you understand the basics.

I don't know your resources - do you have community recreation centres? I can take all sorts of courses there at a fraction of the cost, similar to the idea to try a local highschool. I paid about $60 for a beginners' yoga course of 14 classes.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If you have a YMCA in your area, you could look into that. I know here they will give you a reduced rate on your membership based on how much you can afford. I also believe you can negotiate class rates.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

The fitness industry has never been mature enough or competent enough to set up the kinds of tracking studies or other research that would provide the kind of hard-core data that insurance companies need to incorporate it into their programs in a substantial way. Most fitness people are too busy planning infomercials or supplement scams.
  • Poison5119
    Options
    I would strongly advise going with an instructor if you're just starting. DVDs are a good follow-up once you understand the basics.

I don't know your resources - do you have community recreation centres? I can take all sorts of courses there at a fraction of the cost, similar to the idea to try a local highschool. I paid about $60 for a beginners' yoga course of 14 classes.

I compared one private studio (per class) to the classes offered by our parks/recreation in our city; our city actually charges MORE.:grumble: