looking for support for single moms

momma2boys0609
momma2boys0609 Posts: 74
edited September 19 in Motivation and Support
Im 24 & the single mom of 2 boys. My oldest just turned 3 and my youngest is 5 months. I'd like to join a grup for young single moms. Im also a nursing student. I go to school full time and care for my friends. I havent so much as been to a movie in over a year, so I would love to make some new friends here that can relate. I think supportive friends are essential when it comes to making healthy lifestyle canges and sticking with it! :) I love this site and am looking forward to making some really great friends.
~~~JoyFul~

Replies

• kellibe
    kellibe Posts: 11
    hey hey, im a 36 year old single mom of a teen.....
    it can be really tough. you always seem to put others ahead of you and worry about you last..
    i too would love to join a group, i consider myself young at heart, LOL..
    welcome :)
  • TilleElizabeth
    TilleElizabeth Posts: 6 Member
    I know the story! sounds just like mine, except my two boys are just a lil older, not by much. I totally agree on the support, and that is one reason I use this website! And keep your head up with nursing school! I know its rough
  • Glad to meet you all!
    Have any of you heard of the ChaLean program? Im looking for a good workout program I can do at home. Ive seen the name thrown around here a bit, but I dont know the details on it. What type of workouts do you all do? What are your favorites? I seem to burn fat the best with more strength training than aerobic activity, but a good balance seems to work best. Any suggestions? I know I used to do Carmen Electras Strip to Fit video. Im not really into the whole stripping part of it (LOL) but the workout really seemed to trim and tone my body. So, here are a few of my favorites:

1.) Carmen Electra's Strip to Fit
    2.) Billy Blanks Fat Blast Cardio
    3.) The BIggest Loser &
    get ready for this one..........
    Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies and Dance Your Pants Off. I know it seems silly, but in middle school when I was first diagnosed with hypothyroidism I started taking Synthroid and doing Richard Simmons videos and the weigh began to fall off. I got to to a really healthy weight and it felt good. I know its silly, but I really did feel like he was cheering me on and when I dont feel like doing anything, those are good videos to do. You get into the music and soon forget you are working out. It is not a hard core workout, but at least its activity.
    Anyhow, Id like to hear what others know and think about CHALEAN.
    THANKS
    KEEP ON MOVING......
    JOY
  • Alafia22
    Alafia22 Posts: 112
    Wow. We have a lot in common. I'm a single mom as well. I'm 24 (as of last month) and my daughter just turned 4. I am also in school for nursing and I start my second year next month. I also work on campus at the school bookstore and I'm trying to as much weight as I can before the year is out.

I look forward to keeping in touch with those with similar struggles...

You can do it!
  • kellibe
    kellibe Posts: 11
    ive never heard of it
    but for me , this is my like up teen time really trying to lose
    i am emotional eater, and i really let myself go, but i am determined this time,plus im getting older
    i always use to be really thin, never had to worry..... so really don't know anything about how to eat or exercise right. im learning.

my fav so far and what ive been lead too
    is leslie sansone walk at home dvds, there not for sissy's and i tell you it tones you right down
    running on treadmill and outside
    i have to try to keep costs at a minimum
    and i do free weights and strenth traning...
  • Alafia22
    I do alot of free exercise videos online. Like Billy Blanks Tae Bo on Youtube or the free vids from www.exercisetv.tv It gives be a bunch of variety so that I don't plateau and keeps costs down as well.
  • Im so glad to have met all of you and I am so excited about supporting one another on our weight loss journey. I just wanted to let you all know that I have done some research on ChaLEAN and another program called the Fit Yummy Mummy. They both look like great programs that really emphasize the weight training to build lean muscle. This is sometimes scary for women beceause they fear bulking up, but MUSCLE BURNS FAT!!!!! If we can do these programs and build muscle, then we will burn more fat even when we are sitting in class or at work. It is also proven that strength traing can really boost a woman's mood! So, I'm looking at purchasing ChaLEan and starting with it and when I finish those 90days, begin the Fit Yummy Mummy program. We Can Be HOTT MOMMAS! :wink:

I know that sometimes the weekends can be tough on our good intentions, but lets make out goal this weekend:

1. At least 30-60 minutes of Cardio over the weekend
    2.) 64oz of H2O a day :drinker: &
    3) A Bubble bath at some point during the weekend.
    We need to nurture and care for ourselves so that we can better take care of our children!
    Love Ya MOMS :flowerforyou:
    ~~~JOY~~~
  • Alafia22
    Awww! Ty. It's a deal. I'll make sure to fit that bath in as well since i usually do showers for time.... Funny how we forget the simple pleasures in life when things get hectic.

Good luck everyone.
This discussion has been closed.