How do you balance school, work, and exercise?

Options
Hey everyone! I am new to exercise and I know that may sound silly but it' true. My problem is that I don't know how I'll be able to exercise in addition to attending college... let alone in addition to a job! (I'm still seeking employment). It's hard enough for me to get adequate sleep with my class and study load.

The thing is that I don't want to be just another excuse-filled individual. I want to do yoga and pilates and get fitter since I currently am very un-fit.

So how do you self-motivate even when you perceive yourself to be tired and/or busy? Any advice on how you mentally get yourself to squeeze tons of stuff into your day is appreciated.

Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I mentally commit to a weekly plan and literally, sign a contract with myself.

It's about making time. I understand you're busy, but we all are - kids, careers, school, dishes, husbands, wives, whatever. If you want to do it, you will make working out as indispensible as eating, studying and sleeping.

I do it by getting up at 4-4:30 am each morning and getting my workout in. I skip my lunch break and go to a Pilates class near my work instead. I go for walks when I can. I make sure to plan other activities AROUND my workout and exercise plans, instead of the other way around.

You'll find a way. If you have time to be posting here or Facebook, you have the time to get a workout in. It's all about commitment.
  • BlessedShauna777
    BlessedShauna777 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    add kids to that equation too! lol ummm God??...yeah im pretty sure thats it, my faith :)
  • bstevens1021
    Options
    I am a full-time single mother to a 2 1/2 year old boy, I work 40+ hours a week, and I am taking 4 classes as a graduate student. Trust me, I understand what you mean when you say "busy day"! I am fortunate enough to have a small workout facility (couple weight machines, some free weights, couple ellipticals and treadmills) at my office, so I work out on my lunch break 3 days a week. It's not pilates or yoga, but then, I am not workout-crazed, I just want to fit some exercise in when I can. It works for me, because otherwise I wouldn't get any.

Essentially, I set a specific time every day to do my workout, because otherwise I would have a much harder time fitting it in. If a set time doesn't work for you, you just need to be disciplined about taking the time when you have it instead of saying, "Oh, I'll do it tonight," and then tonight you don't feel like it, and so you say, "Oh, I'll do it tomorrow"... That kind of thing is what derails fitness plans!
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I don't (currently) go to school, but in my field night classes tend to become necessary fairly often. I do have 2 kids and a full time job though, so I know something about a tight schedule. If you want it to be a priority you just have to make it one. I get up at 5:30 every morning to get my exercise in before my wife and kids get up.
  • Lorie66
    Lorie66 Posts: 66
    Options
    I am in college full time. I keep a daily planner and literally stick to everything...If you procrastinate you fall behind. schedule all of your important things due at school first then plan backwards the steps you need to complete it..allow time for emergencies in case something comes up you are not up all night cramming. all of this allows time for sleep, working out and fun. Seems to be working fine but like I said never procrastinate get in there and get it done.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    All it takes is a few minutes a day. If you've got enough time to fit in a sit-com or 30 minutes worth of Facebook perusing, then you can fit in a quick work-out; walk, video, whatever. There are also little things you can do during your normal day that will add up, too...park at the very back of the parking lot when you go to the store or mall, take the stairs instead of elevator when you go into business or apartment buildings, fit in 10-20 sit-ups when you first wake-up and before you go to bed. There are a million & one extra little things you can do throughout your day that may only take an extra minute or 2 than usual. Be creative and you'll start seeing opportunities all the time.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • C1oser5
    C1oser5 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just happened to see your post, and as someone who constantly feels stressed and under pressure, I was hoping to give you some help.

Right now I'm in my 7th year teaching literature to seventh graders. My daily planning and grading takes up a lot of time, but fortunately I have lessons from previous years that I can use and tweak, rather than reinventing the wheel.

On top of my career, I am finishing up my master's program where I have to complete 150 hours (300 for the year). Plus I run the school newspaper, and next month I'll be coaching the track team.

Yes, I am incredibly stressed out this year. It would be very easy for me to let my fitness go while I get through this, which is exactly what I was telling myself from Sept - Dec. However, I'm going to be in two weddings this summer, one for my sister and one for my best friend, and I wanted to look good for all the pictures haha. Starting January 2nd, I've been waking up at 5-5:30 am then going to the gym. Depending on what time I get up I usually work out anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

Is it miserable? Initially it was. But after my body adjusted I can now make it through my day without having to down extra coffee or 5 hour energy shots.

I know it might sound ridiculous, but if you really want to fit everything in, this is the way to do it. Plus, all studies have proven that exercising in the more is way more beneficial than at night.

Anyway, you might read this and laugh, but now that I look back at how I experienced college, I wish I had been more diligent about it (and probably would have prevented the gradual weight gain throughout the years).

Honestly, I can hardly go a day without doing some sort of exercise, whether it's the gym, going for a walk, or playing baseball. They say it takes about 3 weeks to develop a habit, and after you break that 3 week point, you'll hate yourself for skipping days, or at the very least look forward to your next fitness day.

The bottom line is you just have to want it. Once you push past those first few weeks, your body will take over and your self-motivation will go into cruise control.

Hope this helps!
  • RachelVon
    RachelVon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have the craziest work/school schedule ever! & trying to fit in time with my husband & cooking meals is crazy! This is what I do/my schedule on a typical crazy week

Monday 6am wake up pack food , fresh clothes, and exercise stuff 7am-9am workout , 10am-3pm work retail rest of the day relax!
    Tuesday 6am wake up , 7am biolife appt , 9am-12pm class 12-7 relax 7pm fellowship
    wednesday 8-10am work out, 4pm-10pm class
    thursday 6am wake up , 7am biolife appt , 9am-12pm class ... 4pm-10pm class
    Friday 9am -11 work out, 1-10 work retail
    Saturday work 5-10
    Sunday Church 10-1:30 work 3-7

I try cooking some meals at night so they will be ready for the next day and work out super early m/w/f!
  • Alafia22
    Alafia22 Posts: 112
    Options
    I have the same issue. I am a college student, I work at a hospital (sometimes 12 hour shifts) and I have a 7 year old daughter. It is not easy, but nothing worth having ever is. On days that I attend school or work, I wake up at 4 or 5 am to work out. I know, it sounds nuts but it also forces me to go to bed at a reasonable hour and develops discipline (something I am trying to establish).

I see it like this, when you are done with school... you will STILL be busy, with work, family and just LIFE in general. Establishing a routine for your workouts and thinking of it as "time for yourself" is the only way to combat the overwhelming time issue.

My suggestion, get more bang for your buck. Workout with higher intensity workouts (they take less time and/or burn more calories). I am on day 4 of TurboFire and I love it.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
  • 12mcguigan14
    Options
    I just had this exact conversation yesterday with a neighbor who is retired!! She doesn't have enough hours in her day, and then those of us who work full time plus many hours of commitment to family responsibilities and class - I simply had to laugh.

What's helped me with exercise is having a friend, partner or in my case, husband, who also is committed to working out. I'm usually the one bemoaning that I don't have time, and he's the one encouraging me to go for just 30 min. I've also found the lunch hour to be a great time for a 20-min. walk ( of course, if you have the space at work - roll out the yoga mat!!:flowerforyou:
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Okay, first let me say that it doesn't really get easier as you finish college, get older, etc. The challenges just change. I too used all those excuses. First, school (luckily as a young woman, I did not tend to gain weight, as long as I ate reasonably), then a new job, then small children, now a job, big kids with tons of extra-curricular activities that require my attendance and/or transportation, plus help with homework, etc, and managing two totally different schedules (four schedules if you count my husband and I). I let myself go for a long time.

So you are very smart to be mentally addressing these things right now. Your mindset has so much to do with your success! Give yourself a pat on the back for your mental attitude!

Here's what works for me:

First of all, forget exercise classes. With a tight schedule, having to work around a certain time to exercise just doesn't work for me. If I wait for the perfect time, it won't happen. So after trying and failing for years to do classes (that's what I really thought I enjoyed), I decided that I had to find something more flexible. When I first strated with MFP, I was walking. I keep a pair of shoes and socks in my van, so that if I am stuck waiting on someone to be finished with practice, school, etc, I can use even those 15 minutes or so to get some exercise. As I lost weight, I graduated to running, since I also noticed that I needed an activity that burned A LOT of calories in a short time, and walking just wouldn't do that. So I used Couch to 5K to learn to run 30 minutes at a time. That has truly changed my life. Because you can run anytime (almost) and anywhere, so there are few excuses! I now struggle to try and eek out more than 30-40 minutes at a time, because I love the running. But regardless, I know that most days I can fit in 30 minutes.

The next step was to invest in some good videos for home when the weather is bad. I love anything by Jillian Michaels, and her 30 day shred can fit in even the busiest day (20 minute workout with good calorie burn). I also bought hand weights to use at home. So, once again, no excuses!

I know that going to the gym would be way cooler, and I still love it when i get a chance to swim, but I have to be realistic and do what works.

So, in summary, find an activity that is flexible and very accessible to you. Make sure that it is vigorous enough to burn some calories (this may change as you get more fit). And try to do something every day--even just 20 minutes of walking is better than nothing!

All the best to you!
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am new to exercise and I know that may sound silly but it' true. My problem is that I don't know how I'll be able to exercise in addition to attending college... let alone in addition to a job! (I'm still seeking employment). It's hard enough for me to get adequate sleep with my class and study load.

The thing is that I don't want to be just another excuse-filled individual. I want to do yoga and pilates and get fitter since I currently am very un-fit.

So how do you self-motivate even when you perceive yourself to be tired and/or busy? Any advice on how you mentally get yourself to squeeze tons of stuff into your day is appreciated.

Thanks for reading :)

It's just something you have to tell yourself your gonna do, then sit down and work out a schedule and a plan and just do it. I work, go to school, have kids and kid activities. It's NOT easy AT ALL! The only thing that really helped me is what I suggested. I leave my workout vids out to where I have to trip over the things so it's in my face to do them! I put my schedule out for everyone to see it, and I set things up in my house and my life to support my efforts and make it easier for me to get off my butt and do it because I'm an excuse maker. It's STILL not easy, BUT it definately helps! It's more in the mind. You have to be committed in the mind because your mind has to push your body when your body doesn't feel like it. Make sure to leave an adequate amount of time for rest. I burned myself out recently, and I'm still trying to pull it all back together. I just over-did-it thought because I'm impatient. So, be realistic with your goals and your schedule. Eat enough, Drink enough, Sleep enough. :) You can do this!
  • kayers26
    kayers26 Posts: 9
    Options
    I had the same issue: Full course load, Full-time job, plus an internship. The only way to do it when you "don't have time" is to just do it. I am not a morning person and my full-time job includes a lot of nights until midnight or after, so getting up at 5am is not an option. If I have a day were I am out of work before 11pm, I hit the gym after work. On the days I go in during the afternoon to work an evening shift I'll go before work. I would LOVE to have a set schedule of going to the gym at the same time everyday but my schedule doesn't allow for that.

The only way to make the time is to just do it regardless of what you have going on. It's a great stress reliever, plus its the best energy booster I know of! :) so instead of trying to write a paper while stressed out and exhausted from you day, go get your work out in. Afterwards you'll feel better and have more energy which turns into more focus to getting it done.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You just have to chose to do it. If you really want to make it a priority, you will find time to do it. I'm a full time graduate student. I spend between 10 and 12 hours a day in the research lab. I have a full social life too. But I get up a little earlier in the morning to exercise, and I make time for the gym 3 evenings a week. I just have to, or else I can't keep up in the lab!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I have 2 jobs, 3 children, a partner, pets, and two websites to maintain. How to fit in exercise?

You make it a priority. Last year, I started running. Well, the only time I could fit my runs in was 10-10:30 pm at night, after 2nd job, kids + homework, chores, etc. So at 10 at night, I'd gear up and go run for an hour or so. I came to enjoy the quiet streets with my ipod blasting in my ear. I'd stagger home, shower, and crash into bed. No excuses. Ever.

This year, I am taking classes. Two weeknight classes for an hour and one Sunday afternoon. Kids go into daycare at the YMCA, I fit dinner and homework around the class and work 2nd job afterwards. On non-class nights, I go lift weights for 30-45 minutes.

There is no sitting aimlessly on the couch, no hours of watching TV, everyone in the family must help with chores. Meals are not complicated, hours long cooking affairs, they're simple, healthy and fast. Chicken breast, salad, veggie...presto!

I've made a schedule in order to get it all done. I allow Sundays to be "free days" except for my kickboxing class and preparing for the coming weeks meals.

Bottom line - Planning and Committment.

If you want it badly enough, you will find a way to get it done.
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I have 2 jobs, 3 children, a partner, pets, and two websites to maintain. How to fit in exercise?

You make it a priority. Last year, I started running. Well, the only time I could fit my runs in was 10-10:30 pm at night, after 2nd job, kids + homework, chores, etc. So at 10 at night, I'd gear up and go run for an hour or so. I came to enjoy the quiet streets with my ipod blasting in my ear. I'd stagger home, shower, and crash into bed. No excuses. Ever.

This year, I am taking classes. Two weeknight classes for an hour and one Sunday afternoon. Kids go into daycare at the YMCA, I fit dinner and homework around the class and work 2nd job afterwards. On non-class nights, I go lift weights for 30-45 minutes.

There is no sitting aimlessly on the couch, no hours of watching TV, everyone in the family must help with chores. Meals are not complicated, hours long cooking affairs, they're simple, healthy and fast. Chicken breast, salad, veggie...presto!

I've made a schedule in order to get it all done. I allow Sundays to be "free days" except for my kickboxing class and preparing for the coming weeks meals.

Bottom line - Planning and Committment.

If you want it badly enough, you will find a way to get it done.

this is how I do it too. I work 40 hours a week, have a 5 yr old, my boyfriend, a garden to maintain, our dog and 6 chickens lol My boyfriend is a fireman so he is gone for 48 hours at a time. I used to use this as my excuse ALL the time. "it's too hard to get it all done when you aren't home" BS. The YMCA is great, they have kid watch for the nights when my boyfriend is at work and my son has to come with me. I also try to cook as much as I can in advance on Sundays (google freezer cooking, my favorite website is Once a Month Mom). I also try to maintain a clean house by doing a small ammount of chores each day instead of trying to do them all on saturdays.
  • laurengaugler
    laurengaugler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Like everyone here has already said, you have to plan for it and make it happen. We are all busy. If you are thinking, "But, I have __________, and you don't understand!" then you are simply making an excuse.

I am a full time high school teacher during the day, coach after school and teach night school after that ... EVERY DAY ... and I still get my workout in. I pack my workout clothes with me in the morning and literally every single meal and snack I am going to eat that day. Straight from night school I go to the gym. I am lucky enough that my gym is open late because sometimes I don't even make it there before 9:30 pm, home by 11:00.

Bottom line - if you want it badly enough it will happen. You just have to plan ahead for it.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0wa3gNk6U1qke924o1_500.png

:smile::
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Here's my life: I am a Registered Nurse, I work 4 12 hour shifts in a row every other weekend, 150 miles away from home.
    I have two special needs children. I am Financial Secretary for our church. I am heading up a Warrior Dash team and we are currently in the level 3 Intense training program. I manage rental property, keep our home running smoothly, have a myriad of meetings that are required of me to attend, turn in daily logs of everything my daughter does to the state on a monthly basis, I oversee my son's running program (I'm training him to run 5Ks with me in the Spring), get him back and forth to his music lessons (he plays 2 instruments right now, getting ready to pick up #3), along with the 'normal' mom stuff.. cooking, cleaning, car maintenance, bills, etc... and how do I do it all (and still have time to visit MFP and reply to these topics)? I schedule it. I break out the calendar each month and ink in the most important things.. Dr.s appts, meetings, Bible Study, work schedule.. then I schedule in the things I can be flexible with, like my workouts, oil changes for the car, etc. But once they are on the schedule, they're in stone, and no backing out will be tolerated. If I get up on a Thursday and see 8am Yoga, 1030 am oil change 2pm IEP meeting, 4pm Home Visit and 630 pm Bootcamp, then those are the things I"m doing. Period. Workouts are in there and just as important to get done as the oil change or anything else. At the end of the day, I've accomplished alot and can rest easy. It's the only way for "busy" people (or anyone else that tries to use that as an excuse) to get it done. Remember, If it's important, you'll find a way. If it's not, you'll find an excuse.
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    All of your responses are INCREDIBLE! You are all such inspiring people. Whether it is a difficult job or taking care of children, you all have impressed me so much.

I definitely need to get rid of these excuses while I'm still young so that when I grow up I can be like y'all. Thank you again for responding!!