Warrior Dash

Options
I've been slacking on exercising and dieting the past couple of months due to an overload on school work and pulling extra shifts at work. I really want to do the Warrior Dash in mid-May. Has anyone here done the Warrior Dash before? What were your experiences/ what advice do you guys have?

Replies

• melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    interested in this too! i want to do one in August, but am a little scared!
  • dellafiora3395
    dellafiora3395 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm REALLY interested now!!
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Doing the Barbarian Challenge in June!
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Doing Warrior Dash in Michigan in July. I have done many races, but this will be my FIRST WD. I am so nervous and excited. No mater what, I just want to go out there and have some kick-a@@ fun!!!!

Good luck with your training.
  • bellevie23
    bellevie23 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Will be doing it soon! Agreed to do a marathon with a friend if she would do warrior dash with me lol. Now we both will be suckin!
  • ZenitaC
    ZenitaC Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm joining the guys in the tough mudders in Kentucky in October. Hopefully I can get it together to get through. It's 12.5 miles and 29 obsticles.
  • Loseweight1980
    Options
    I did a 5K Spartan Race, and despite my overall hatred for anything and everything muddy, dirty, and summer outdoorsy, I actually almost enjoyed myself! Good luck, and have a blast!
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I already signed up. My first one. Mine is at the end of July!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I are looking into doing one in either June (North-East England where our family is) or August (Dublin).

Going to see how I get on with a 5K at the end of May first.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I've only done one but it was a lot of fun...Not all that difficult at all. It's a great social event and plenty of supportive and optimistic people.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Did mine last days of April in 2011. I was not in shape. I finished in less than an hour (for 3.4 miles, pretty ok time) and completed every obstacle.

I got very dirty.

I donated my shoes to a good cause.

I had an incredibly amazing time. It was so fun. I do not have the funds to go this year, but I wanted to so so badly.
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Did it! Here's some things you need to know:

Bring really old shoes or plan on donating the ones you do bring. There's a donation pile there.

Your clothes will be stained, so wear black or brown.

They hose you down with freezing cold water. Bring a towel and change of clothes to put on afterwards.

What to expect:

Every course is different. This was what was in mine (that I remember)

- 10 + foot rope ladder
    - really long and deep mud pit (possibly with manure)
    - cars to climb over (see my pictures in my profile)
    - crawling through mud and gravel under barbed wire. The gravel will rip your knees apart. (bring bandaids perhaps)
    - running 3.5 miles (they range from 3 to 3.5)
    - a really long pond waist-high to wade through
    - barrels to crawl through
    - trails to run through (watch your step)
    - 6 feet high walls to jump over

With everything said, I will definitely be doing it again.
  • grievero
    grievero Posts: 2
    Options
    I ran the dirty dog in Traverse City MI and the Warrior Dash in Flint MI last year and LOVED them!! I've signed up for 2 more this year. I'm looking to add a few more. I wasn't in shape at all when i did them but it was so fun! You can skip any obstacles you want. There is definitely a team fun mentality when going through it. The longest part of the running is the beginning. After the first obstacle, its a slight jog in between each one. I could go on forever about how fun it is!!
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one this spring! It's my first. I am so excited.
  • jessicaeclark
    Options
    I love these sorts of races! Make sure to also check out Hero Rush (herorush.com) It's a firefighter-themed 5k obstacle race event!
  • Sweetpeagrl
    Sweetpeagrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for a warrior dash this May in Maryland! It's my first one, my cousin is doing it with me and we are super excited!! I can't wait to get muddy!! :-)
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    In two weeks, I'm doing a local challenge that is similar to the warrior dash! And then if I survive, I'm going to do the real warrior dash in october.
  • mikeecus
    mikeecus Posts: 7
    Options
    HI - I completed warrior dash last year, along with a gladiator challenge and now I am currently training for tough mudder (11 mile course in washington).

I would reiterate a lot of what the posters above said;

shoes - totally destroyed, dont buy shoes for the event - or rather do buy shoes for it, 6 months prior and use them to run for six months prior to the "dash" I had to cut my timer token out of my laces because i couldnt get them undone afterwards.

be physically able to hoist your body up stuff.. ropes, walls, cars, tires, you name it if you have to climb it, they'll probably put it in your way.

expect to get freezing cold - then really hot during the nitermediate runs. I wore a long sleeve underarmor type shirt under my tee-shirt... i will NOT be doing that again.. I was sweating like a hog by mile 2.

I ran warrior dash in north bend washington, some of the course was through the woods, and it was extremely muddy. I was surprised I didn't fall more due to the slick mudd. I actually totally took this chick out after trying to pass her on the inside and bailing right into her after my foot slipped. Funny after the fact but I was pretty embarassed.. Anyway - it was really really muddy.. Dont expect to do any of the obstacle events and not get completely thrashed in the mud and water.

One thing I wish our group had done during warrior dash was dress up with a theme. Theres a TON of people who dress up in costumes for the event - we saw this one guy in a full body rat suit.. lol, he looked miserable at the end of the run caked in mud. Particular highlights - these two couples went out and bought viking beards and ran in them.... hilarious. Im talking full blown viking braided beards - it was awesome.

I suggest camping close to the event, or getting a hotel to increase the after-party too:) warrior dash afterparty was aweome.

** TOTALLY FORGOT** DO NOT BE SCARED OF WARRIOR DASH.. it is VERY easy, and it's a great way to get yourself into doing competition runs! It really is not hard at all, you will find people walking from obstacle to obstacle throughout the course. It's more of a big party than it is a hardcore run.. so yeah get out there and do it!