Goatmeal... er, I mean Oatmeal.... Info needed

Options
I always hated oatmeal (hense the name I gave it: Goatmeal), but I'm going to try to incorperate into my life. Thank goodness for Splenda brown sugar is all I can say.

Anyway, what is the difference in them all?

Instant
Old Fashioned
Quick Cook
Steel Cut

I know Instant is not favored by most health nuts, but I have no idea why because until now, I couldn't have cared less...

Info appreciated :)

Replies

• jeskate
    jeskate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Due to time constraints and atrocious cooking skills, I buy Uncle Toby's Quick Oats - they come in a variety of flavours. That's in Australia though, I'm not sure about the States. I like the honey flavour, so yum :)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options
    I use quick cook oats too, just for convenience. I actually love them. Try putting a spoonful of reduced sugar strawberry or blueberry Jam through it. It's also beautiful with lots of cinnamon and a little honey.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Cripes why do you need instant oatmeal? - I just use normal porridge oats (that's what we call them in the UK), up to twice as much fluid as oats (I mix water and skimmed milk) and cook them in the microwave for 2 - 2.5 mins. I add flavourings at the start or end depending on what it is. Either way, takes less than 5 minutes and in my view proper oats taste better and you can make them to the consistency you like. Proper oats are also a lot cheaper. My fav additions to porridge are banana, maple syrup or cinnamon with demerara sugar. Enjoy.
  • feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options
    Thanks to this post I just had oatmeal for lunch!!! However, I went for a less than healthy version and mixed a little chocolate through them. Heaven!!!!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    bump... again :)
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Here is a great way to have fun with your "goatmeal" lol (wonders if her son will eat it if she starts calling it goatmeal...lol)

I love love love these http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/personal-sized-baked-oatmeal-with-individual-toppings-gluten-free-diabetic-friendly/ (personal size baked oatmeal you can freeze)
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I use old fashioned quick oats for time. The instant packs are favored b/c of the additives in the flavorings. I mix in some fruit and/or cinnamon in mine. Steel cut just aren't rolled out so they take longer to cook and you get more oats in a serving so higher contents, but still good! The rest don't have much of a difference. Even when I get the regular Old Fashioned I still put my 1/2 cup serving in a bowl add water and stick it the microwave for a minute. I've only noticed a slightly different consistency.
  • paleojamie
    paleojamie Posts: 191
    Options
    here in the uk i have quaker 100% rolled wholegrain oats, I put it in the microwave for 4 minutes .. then chop a banana up and throw it in :) tastes so good I actually look forward to it
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I differentiate the types of oatmeal by their prep time. Instant is ..well instant. Old fashioned takes about 5 minutes. Steel Cut takes about 20 minutes.

Some people have personal preference when it comes to taste and I think that's the major thing. All in all though, an oat is an oat is an oat.
  • msmonique09191
    Options
    I believe steel cut and old fashion are a bit more healthy than the quick oats. I think there is a difference in the type of fiber. If I am not mistaking, steel cut is the best choice.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The more instant or flavoured it is the more processed it is!! Get good old fashioned oats and cook them with water. I do a big batch on a Monday so I have it ready for other days! Then add anything you like, dried fruit, fresh fruit, nuts, seeds, honey, I like a big spoonful of Greek Yoghurt and dried fruit! Also good with a bit of milk or better yet almond milk!!! Hope this helps. A good rule of thumb is if they had to process food too far past it's original state is is far less healthy!!! Enjoy!!!!
  • erogers85
    erogers85 Posts: 32
    Options
    this recipe makes a TON of oatmeal but you can make it on Monday, refrigerate and reheat squares throughout the week. It also seems to appeal to people who are not fond of the "mushy" oatmeal texture because the steel cut oats are more nubby and baking it makes it dryer :

ingredients for baked oatmeal
    1 pound steel cut oats
    1 cup walnuts, or other nuts (see sources)
    2 tablespoons yogurt, kefir, whey or buttermilk (see sources), for soaking
    dash unrefined sea salt
    6 pastured eggs
    2 cups whole, fresh milk (see sources)
    up to ¼ cup maples syrup (optional)
    ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
    ½ cup dried unsulfured apricots, diced
    2 tablespoons cinnamon
    ¼ cup coconut oil (see sources), plus extra for greasing baking dish

method for preparing baked oatmeal
    Pour the steel cut oats and nuts into a ceramic container or mixing bowl.
    Add enough filtered water to completely submerge your oats and nuts. Add a dash of salt and a two tablespoons of fresh yogurt, whey, kefir or buttermilk.
    Allow the oats and nuts to soak, covered, overnight in a warm place in your kitchen – about eight to twelve hours.
    After the mixture of oats and nuts has soaked overnight, dump them into a colander to drain and place the mixture back into the ceramic container or mixing bowl.
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 13 x 9-inch rectangular baking pan with coconut oil or another wholesome fat of your choosing.
    Meanwhile beat together eggs, milk, maple syrup (if you’re using it), until well-combined and frothy.
    Pour the mixture of eggs, milk and maple syrup over the soaked oats and nuts, stirring well to combine into a porridge-like mixture.
    Gently fold dried fruit, cinnamon and coconut oil into the porridge-like mixture.
    Pour the mixture into a greased baking pan and smooth it out with a rubber spatula to ensure even baking and a good appearance.
    Bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees Fahrenheit for forty to forty-five minutes or until the oatmeal achieves a pleasing golden-brown color on top, a knife inserted into its center comes out clean and free from liquid and the fragrance of baked oats, dried fruit and cinnamon perfumes your kitchen.
    If you can bear the wait, allow the baked oatmeal to cool for five to ten minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
    YIELD: 12 to 16 servings
    TIME: 10 minutes (preparation), 8 to 12 hours (soaking), 40 to 45 minutes (baking)
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think it is so funny that you call it goatmeal. Any time there is oatmeal on our grocery list, my husband sticks a "G" right in front. He's a large child at times.

I prefer steel cut oats, as they have more of an al dente texture and fill me up more. There are some mornings where I oversleep enough that I wake up starving and wish I could just make a packet of instant. Ideally steel cut are supposed to be best for you, but I would say, what ever fits into your time and space is worth while.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut
    Old Fashioned
    Quick Cook
    Instant

Basically, steel cut oats are the least processed. They are chewy and take a while to cook. More nutrition and slightly more cals. Old fashioned oats have been steamed, rolled, and flaked. Quick cook oats are slightly thinner and more processed so they will be faster to prepare. Instant oats are thinner still, and some people simply add hot water and don't even cook them. So in the order I listed them above, you go from the longest cooking time, most texture, and chewiest variety, down to the least. That being said, any of them can be made fairly quickly in the microwave, if you have the right technique/recipe. I personally don't like Scotch/Steel Cut oats, but it is just a texture thing. Any oat is better than no oats.
  • alderman59
    alderman59 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I prefer steel cut oatmeal....very nutty taste and you don't need to add all the sweetener. You can cook up several servings at one time in a large bowl in the microwave (50%) power and it keeps in the frig for days. Eat it with some berries or banana, reduce the artificial sweeteners.
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I can't stand oatmeal either, the consistency, it looks and smells good but I just couldn't do it and I really wanted to like it cause it's good for you. So I found this recipe and they are really really good!!!

Healthy Oatmeal Cookies (with Honey)

Dry ingredients
    1 cup whole wheat flour (a pinch more depending on the moisture of the mix)
    1 1/2 cups of Large Flake Rolled Oats (smaller flake is ok too)
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 Tbsp Cinnamon
    1/2 tsp Nutmeg (optional)

Wet ingredients
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup oil (corn, grapeseed or olive) * you can also use some applesauce to replace some of the oil if you wish*
    1 Tablespoon Molasses (I used sugar free syrup)
    1 egg (beat with 1 Tbsp Water)
    1 tsp Vanilla

Yummy ingredients
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup walnuts
    or anything else you want to add in

Preparation:
    1. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
    2. In a medium bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together. Hint: when measuring out the honey, spray the measuring cup with oil or baking spray--your honey won't stick).
    3. Mix the wet stuff with the dry stuff. Add the raisins and walnuts and mix. If the mixture seems too wet, add a bit of flour. If it isn't binding together very well, you may wish to add an egg white.
    4. COOL the mix for 20 minutes in the fridge.
    5. Preheat the oven to 335 degrees (lower temperature due to the honey in the recipe which will burn more easily).
    6. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto your baking sheet (I recommend lining the baking sheet with parchment paper). Press down with a fork to ensure even cooking.
    7. Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until golden on the bottom of the cookie. The cookies freeze very well and make a great snack! Enjoy.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i grew up on oatmeal , or porridge made with water and salt , its taken me a long time to like oats again , i like them soaked over night in milk add some friut , lovely !
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    The Raw Revolution Oats are quick and healthy. I love them. I also love Steel Cut oats cooked in half apple juice half water. YUM. Got that idea from Oprah years ago. lol
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    I can't stand oatmeal either, the consistency, it looks and smells good but I just couldn't do it and I really wanted to like it cause it's good for you. So I found this recipe and they are really really good!!!

Healthy Oatmeal Cookies (with Honey)

Dry ingredients
    1 cup whole wheat flour (a pinch more depending on the moisture of the mix)
    1 1/2 cups of Large Flake Rolled Oats (smaller flake is ok too)
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 Tbsp Cinnamon
    1/2 tsp Nutmeg (optional)

Wet ingredients
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup oil (corn, grapeseed or olive) * you can also use some applesauce to replace some of the oil if you wish*
    1 Tablespoon Molasses (I used sugar free syrup)
    1 egg (beat with 1 Tbsp Water)
    1 tsp Vanilla

Yummy ingredients
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup walnuts
    or anything else you want to add in

Preparation:
    1. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
    2. In a medium bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together. Hint: when measuring out the honey, spray the measuring cup with oil or baking spray--your honey won't stick).
    3. Mix the wet stuff with the dry stuff. Add the raisins and walnuts and mix. If the mixture seems too wet, add a bit of flour. If it isn't binding together very well, you may wish to add an egg white.
    4. COOL the mix for 20 minutes in the fridge.
    5. Preheat the oven to 335 degrees (lower temperature due to the honey in the recipe which will burn more easily).
    6. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto your baking sheet (I recommend lining the baking sheet with parchment paper). Press down with a fork to ensure even cooking.
    7. Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until golden on the bottom of the cookie. The cookies freeze very well and make a great snack! Enjoy.

Do you have a calorie count on those? They sound amazing!