Stronglifts or Starting Strength

Options

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'm currently one workout away from completing stage 1 of NROL4W, however I'm not sure I want to continue with stage 2. Reason being, there is movement away from the big lifts and into more obscure exercises, and I am really enjoying the two big lifts I am doing (squat and deadlift).

I am considering Starting Strength or Stronglifts, as I want to continue regular squats and deadlifts, but also because I want to start benching, presses etc.

1) Which program would you recommend of the two?

2) I finish my current routine on friday, so I'd like to start a new one on Monday. Stronglifts is more accessible as I understand I'd have to order Starting Strength online, and being in Canada, that would be a two week wait.

3) Starting Strength has a kindle edition. Are there diagrams and charts in this book that would make the kindle edition useless?

Thanks!

1. They're pretty close to the same program, I wouldn't necessarily recommend one over the other.

3. I think the diagrams and charts would show up just fine in a kindle

Another program to consider: http://www.niashanks.com/beautiful-badass
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bump
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies thus far. I am enjoying the feedback. Ron mentioned an alternative program, I'd love to hear more about others.

Rae, great to hear I'm not the only one who reconsidered at the end of stage 1.

Right now I'm leaning toward stronglifts because of the similarity, accessibility (iPhone app too). I'm appreciative of the feedback on SS because the detail that's been mentioned in the book, I'm into that and would consider purchasing it if for no other reason.

Keep the opinions/experiences coming! I want to learn MOAR!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The iphone app is pretty awesome. I don't have an iphone but my lifting partner does. It's cool. It tells you what weight you are supposed to be at, times your rests, and if you can't finish a set it gives you this encouraging message. Something like "It's okay, failures are part of the game, just don't go up weight next."
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    The iphone app is pretty awesome. I don't have an iphone but my lifting partner does. It's cool. It tells you what weight you are supposed to be at, times your rests, and if you can't finish a set it gives you this encouraging message. Something like "It's okay, failures are part of the game, just don't go up weight next."

^^^I like this aspect of stronglifts over starting strength. In starting strength, you *must* be adding weight every workout. If you're not, it calls for a deload. I didn't follow this advice when I did SS.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    Yeah I don't think adding 5 lbs a workout is too realistic for those of us who are fun sized. My progression isn't linear, sometimes nothing, sometimes 5 lbs/wk, others 10 lbs/ wk, but not 5 lbs per workout! I think the iPhone app allows you to alter the increment, and also the starting weight for the workout.

Would you recommend deloading when starting this or a similar program?

I noticed also some of these programs call for using a % of your 1RM. How exactly do you determine your 1RM? Right now I'm on 3x8 so not sure what I could safely do for less reps.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I don't do either so I'm not going to comment on what is better. But I did want to say I use the Jefit app for my android. You can make your own program on there and it's free.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Yeah I don't think adding 5 lbs a workout is too realistic for those of us who are fun sized. My progression isn't linear, sometimes nothing, sometimes 5 lbs/wk, others 10 lbs/ wk, but not 5 lbs per workout! I think the iPhone app allows you to alter the increment, and also the starting weight for the workout.

I noticed also some of these programs call for using a % of your 1RM. How exactly do you determine your 1RM? Right now I'm on 3x8 so not sure what I could safely do for less reps.

Honestly, I'd start with the bar (or much lower than you've been doing) then try the 5lbs every time. You'd be surprised how you can blow past your old weights. I was stuck at 95 on squats forever. I think I started at 65 on Strong Lifts. Moved all the way up to 115 before I had a failure.

And yeah, it'd probably be a good idea to take a week off before starting. I did.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    I don't do either so I'm not going to comment on what is better. But I did want to say I use the Jefit app for my android. You can make your own program on there and it's free.

Your progress in that short time is incredible. I want to shed BF% that easily without the cardio I hate, hehe.
  • Rae6503
    Options

Yeah, I use this. But it's not nearly as cool as the strong lifts app. It's a pain in the *kitten* to go from your routine back to the logs to find out how much you did last time, then add 5. Strong Lifts does all that for you.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Both Strong Lifts and Starting Strength are both novice barbell programs which are proven and designed for linear progression. You cannot go wrong choosing one over the other. You will progress along nicely on both of them should you follow them as prescribed.

I followed Starting Strength for 6 solid months never missing a workout. It worked well for me. I've recently swapped to Strong Lifts ONLY because of the iPhone app and it saves me time from having to prepare workout sheets the night before / morning of my workout.
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Get the SS book by Mark Rippetoe. It explains the proper technique for every lift and some useful assistance exercises as well. That book and the accompanying DVD are money well invested.

The Stronglifts program is a copy of Bill Starr's 5X5 program and the person is very good at promoting his site on the Net.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Both Strong Lifts and Starting Strength are both novice barbell programs which are proven and designed for linear progression. You cannot go wrong choosing one over the other. You will progress along nicely on both of them should you follow them as prescribed.

I followed Starting Strength for 6 solid months never missing a workout. It worked well for me. I've recently swapped to Strong Lifts ONLY because of the iPhone app and it saves me time from having to prepare workout sheets the night before / morning of my workout.

Did you have to lower the weight at all to be able to do 5 sets instead of 3? I can't imagine adding another set after completing my 3 sets of 5. I'm totally spent.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Your progress in that short time is incredible. I want to shed BF% that easily without the cardio I hate, hehe.

Do I smell a new Intermittent Fasting member?
    www.leangains.com

Go forth and be a low fat guru!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nutandbutter
    Options

Yeah, I use this. But it's not nearly as cool as the strong lifts app. It's a pain in the *kitten* to go from your routine back to the logs to find out how much you did last time, then add 5. Strong Lifts does all that for you.

Hmmm, when I'm on my exercise it shows me in small print what my last log was.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Starting strength lacks to many imprtant muscle groups . You'll come off it with no rear delts, lats, upper back. It's a great program bit it needs small modifications.

She could add chin ups to the mix.

Learning chin ups/pullups (can't do them yet) take care of all of the supposed deficits he's referring to?

put chin ups/ pullups on your bench day .. drop the power cleans. and replace them with a BB rows or something along those lines. also i do suggest you put in some type of rear delt exercise on the dead-lift day. and if you still have energy, work your triceps aswell. dips r pretty solid.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options

Do I smell a new Intermittent Fasting member?
    www.leangains.com

Go forth and be a low fat guru!

say what?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Stronglifts starts everything with the empty bar (well, except rows and deads), and then you add 5 pounds every session until you can't finish all your reps. Then you stay at that weight until you can. Fail 3 consecutive sessions, and you deload 10%. I actually like the way it progresses, there's no guesswork needed.
  • RonnieBigGunz
    Options
    Starting strength is a great book and a great program, but unless you are an athlete and have access to a coach, you may not want to learn the power clean. I strained my neck and was out for four months doing power cleans, and still have problems with it on occassion. It is a very challenging lift to learn on your own. I do my own variation of starting strength now:

Workout A:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Calf Raises

Workout B:
    Squat
    Overhead press
    Rows
    Pullups

I sometimes add direct tricep work on the last day of the week.