Why 1,200 calories per day?

Options
Onesnap
Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
This really easy to understand article explains why it's important for both men and women to get a minimum of calories per day.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Why-1200-Calories-Day-Important-When-Dieting-13080864

I know this topic is often debated on MFP, and there's a lot of people on here eating REALLY healthy that at day's end are below 1,200 calories. (meaning with a workout logged they end up with a deficit every single day). This is one of those touchy subjects, so I just wanted to share an article that explains why.

Weight Watchers works with the very same concept, you have to eat back what you burn from activity to make your points goal each day (if you do workout).

The little trick I do that really helps is I log my classes at the gym in the afternoon (usually 3 hours or so before I go). This helps me make good choices on healthy snacks, what to make for dinner, and even a pre-gym snack. That way I spread my 'extra' workout calories around during the day. I don't get to the end of my day and go "oh no, I'm down 500!"

For healthy snacks I mention www.snackgirl.com on MFP a lot and also Everyday Food (the magazine, the blog, the newsletter, or the Facebook page--you do not need to buy the magazine to get the recipes). :)

Replies

• TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing! :smile:
  • heartpdx
    heartpdx Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    this is great refresher (which we often need weekly) on why its important to eat back exercise calories. there is a lot of debate within MFP on this issue...but my own recent experience definitely reinforces the importance of eating a net min of 1200.:smile:
  • Kbelle2607
    Kbelle2607 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • paavy
    paavy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump.
    Thanks for the info!
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I personally only eat back about 70 to 75% of my workout calories simply because i use the MFP exercise chart and have found that there a bit higher than im actually burning, but I totally agree you should eat them back
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Those are really helpful links and an interesting article - "Some studies referenced at LiveStrong.com indicate that long-term dieting and calorie restriction can lower your metabolism by up to 40 percent and can take up to one year to correct."...

Thanks for posting!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Thank you all for your support and feedback, that means a lot!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I personally only eat back about 70 to 75% of my workout calories simply because i use the MFP exercise chart and have found that there a bit higher than im actually burning, but I totally agree you should eat them back

Totally. You have to do what works for you, and your approach seems VERY healthy!
  • hlshubert
    hlshubert Posts: 45
    Options
    bump
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm working on a weeks average and this last week really tried to get all those calories in.... Your concept is nice, becaue quite often I get home have some to spare and I'm either too tired and don't want to eat, or I make poor snack choices. In the last few days I've been trying to increase my breakfast and lunch intake. I'm not sure that it is all healthy but I'm working on it.
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise before i do it as well, since I typically exercise at night, I don't want to eat past 9:00pm! Also it makes me feel guilty if I don't actually do it, cause then I'll have to remove it from MFP!!

I try to get to the Net 1200 calories a day, sometimes I am under though, but only net, I'm eating 1200 no problem!!