ashamed to run

Options

Replies

• road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have been actually eating like a normal human being for the last 3 weeks! I am very proud because it hasnt happened to me in a very very long time. Now that I feel I have fallen into a comfort zone and can sustain this lifestyle until I lose weight, I think it's time for excercise. SO I used to love to jog....now the weather is so gorgeous and I want to run outside. But I am huge and am so embarrassed to run in the street. everyone I see running is so tiny and looks great. If I saw a 250lb woman coming at me while driving, I'd be scared! SO I want to run...but am ashamed....anyone else have this problem? I would love some support. Also is it safe to jog at that weight? ( I would probably start dying after 1 minute of a very light jog) but is even that safe? I'd love any ideas on how to get started?

You better run and don't look back. I was 240-250lbs when I ran my very first 10k. I'm now 237 and STILL hitting the pavement. Do you honey. Do you. It doesn't matter how big you are, just be safe and try it out. You never know what might happen. And to set yourself up, look into a 5k that's about 3-6 months away, put a C25k app on your phone, and keep it moving.

I run with a running group sometimes and sometimes I just run with my Running Partner In Crime. We don't push one another TOO far, but we push each other. Find a group or a partner and get out there.
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    Whenever I see someone running my thoughts are "Awesome for them!!" and if they're a bit bigger, like me, I think "You go dude!" You shouldn't be ashamed to go running, you're doing more than all those people sitting in their cars judging you! :)
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Finally, lately when I jog, I'll smile at the person coming my way, and they give me a genuine "atta girl" smile right back. It really makes you proud of yourself. Try it... if they don't smile back, just stick out your leg and trip em!

i love it!! I finally talked a friend the other day into walking the trail I usually do so that he could possibly meet people. He told me later that he thought people were avoiding eye contact with him. I told him no, that I said hi, smiled, or at least raised my hand to wave to everyone who passed. Maybe try to be friendly first and see what happens. I'll have to tell him next time to trip them if they don't smile back! :drinker:
  • Ballybabe1
    Options
    Do the Couch to 5K - it builds you up slowly and just don't worry about what anyone thinks. I am on week 5 and like you, suffer from embarrassment. It's not really a weight thing with me but I just feel embarrassed lol but to be honest, I have mostly got over it. Friend me if you like. If you do it, definitely use a podcast or app. I tried timing it myself to start with and it was very cumbersome and boring but now I use the NHS podcast and it's great. Not sure what I will do once I have completed the programme though - will have to find some other kind of app I think.

When I finished the 9 weeks I just continued with my 3 weekly runs and I try to go a bit further at the weekend on one of the runs, you could also follow the bridge to 10k if you wanted an app but I didnt want to extend my time running as I was afraid that I wouldnt have the time to fit it in and just give up, so Week 9 run 3 is working for me three times a week.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Wear earphones. Play music while you run. Don't pay attention to what other people are doing. Run. Profit.
  • turkeytrotter
    turkeytrotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Why run? Walking is great exercise. I started losing weight 3 years ago. For the first 8 months I only walked and increased my distance as I got in better shape. Then, when I was walking for an hour regularly and my heartrate was not going up during the walk, I started doing a little running with the walking. I lost most of my weight doing just that.
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    When I see a heavier woman or a skinny woman running, walking, doing any form of exersice I am proud and impressed by it. I think it is great that people would take an active role in their own health regardless of the size they are at. You go do what you enjoy and dont worry about anyone who would say anything about it.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I think if you start slow and very slowly add distance and speed you should be fine. And don't worry about what anyone else thinks. What they SHOULD be thinking is, "There's someone who's trying to do better." Who knows, you might even be an inspiration to others who think they're not in good enough shape to work out.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Never be ashamed of who you are. You took the first, best step in your life when you signed onto this free program. You're a WINNER! One of my heroes on here when I first started, Tami Shumate, (she's on the opening page...photo ... here) lost 187 pounds without surgery, without pills, worked out and RAN too, every single day for 15 months. You're a beautiful person and you WILL BE successful. Add me to your friends if you wish. You can contact me any time at all. Stay happy!

Claire :)
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You are motivated...this is awesome. Now, you just have to get over your fear. Why do you care what others think? It's awesome that you want to run, and yes, running outside feels great. Just do it!!! Start at a very slow pace...almost like walking a little too fast for your own comfort....you can do intervals too at first...walk for 4 minutes, then run for 3. You'll feel great after...I promise!!!!!!
  • Tashry
    Tashry Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The way I see it - you're going to be 250lbs today whether you run or not. I'd much rather see a 250lb woman running, than see a 250lb woman sitting on her rear.

And quite frankly, the majority of people aren't getting out and getting any exercise anyways. So if anything, fat or thin, the people out there should be admiring you, not judging you.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Go for it, I run 4/5 days a week in the City (England, London), filled with tourists, people of all different shapes and sizes run, runners are not all 'skinny/thin' people, honestly I can truly say we generally nod or smile at each other in passing, I seriously don't think I have even though another runner wasn't 'suitable' to be running! In fact, I generally look at the person ahead of me and think how I'm going to catch-up with them, then hopefully pass! you'll have an internal battle which helps with pace/speed. Go out there enjoy and know that you're doing it for you and noone else! :flowerforyou:
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    When I see bigger people running, I'm overjoyed. It makes me ridiculously happy because I know the feeling you get when you can run and feel your muscles moving and your body changing. Tune out the world and run for yourself. Just yesterday I saw a big girl running up a huge hill and she was going pretty fast! It made me smile. :)
  • bigprettygirl69
    bigprettygirl69 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would love to run or even be able to just go for a walk without having to use a walker or panting because I am so out of breath because of the heart failure. I say if the weather is nice and you want to and it's safe THEN DO AND KICK *kitten* WHILE YOU DO. The transformation is what you are looking for and who cares what you look like doing it. Put on some in the ear headphone to block out external noises and float on sister and good luck.
  • dida_57
    dida_57 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Who cares what other people think of you, just go out there and run, you don't know them anyways. (",)
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options

FACT! This is a great thread!

You both beat me to the punch! ^^^ that thread will give you the motivation you need : )
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    I personally LOVE jogging.... And if I saw a 250 lb woman coming towards me jogging, I would think, good for them! They are trying to do something healthy for themselves.... As for the is it safe question, I know running is hard on the joints, no matter what size you are, so I would say you have to listen to your body and the warning signs it gives you... Start out slow, don't worry about other people or what they think or even say. People are cruel sometimes, do what is best for you and what makes you happy. :-) good luck!
  • TorridSkies4
    Options
    I bought myself a mini-elliptical, and I do my "jogging" in the comfort of my living room.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    When I see a person that is overweight running or walking, I want to cheer them on. Due to our society and the way things are I don't simply because I fear it would be seen as sarcastic. The last thing I want to do is discourage. So I cheer them on inside.
  • leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm large and I run. I feel proud knowing that each time I'm out there, I'm smaller than I was before. People can see me transform. And frankly, when I see a big person running, I'm proud of them for making healthy choices, and it motivates me to do the same.