Seriously ... 1200 calories or less

Options

Replies

• JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    Dropping down to 1200 calories was just what I needed to get my butt in the game. I helped me be WAY more cautious about measuring out serving sixes of my favorite foods and stuff like that. It helped me get a better picture of exactly how poorly I was actually eating when I thought I was doing good.

I completely understand what you guys are saying about it not being for everyone and that MFP is not telling you you have to do anything but, it does work for some people and everybody wants something that works right? :)

I am perfectly content with my calorie intake, 1200cals a day seems to be perfect, right now. I dont feel like I over eat and I am not left feeling hungry because I planned my meals better than I normally would. Through my 1200 cals a day I learned that even a burrito, 1 burrito from tacobell can be bad because I use 400+ cals and end up being hungry 2hours later.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    So what do you say to those who MFP TELLS to eat 1200 or less if they want to lose??? Why even use the site if it isn't accurate or healthy?
    ....I'm curious to know the answer to this :?

I say that you should adjust your goal because at your size you should probably take a more modest approach to weight loss. It computes a 1000 calorie deficit if someone says they want to lose 2 pounds per week, 500 calorie deficit if 1 pound. So if you choose either of those and it would mean eating less than 1200 it automatically gives you a 1200 goal. It's a calculator--not a person who can reason through the effects of eating 1200 calories... and for many people NOT eating back exercise calories.
  • Psufilmgirl
    Psufilmgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    In my opinion(that's right, my OPINION), here is what I have learned from weight loss(and we are talking about a 15 year period here, starting at when I was 13)

Weight Watchers-only works if you read everything and go to meetings, for me. I lost 50lbs when I was 13 and I gained it all back, plus some. Because I was a kid and I wanted to eat like my friends. Tried it again as an adult, never lost more than 10-15 pounds.

Tried Atkins-wasn't sustainable for me, I'm Italian, I like pasta.

Finally, at age 30, I've learned that to lose the weight, it not only has to come from changing how you eat, but from inside as well. Your head will mess with you, tell you you can't eat a certain food, or tell you that you're fat when you look in the mirror. I've read a ton of health related things and I bust my butt while in grad school to work so I can pay for a trainer once a week.

I've learned that for me, 1200 calories a day doesn't work. I tried it for 2 weeks and stopped losing. Now, I'm at 1900 calories, give or take. I eat 40/30/30, and I do cardio 2x a week and lift 3x a week.

EDIT-forgot to mention that I've lost 15lbs in two months, 5 inches from my waist, and 5 inches from my hips. And I EAT FOOD. I just had a burger for the first time in two months, and it was DELISH. I'm not depriving myself anymore, If I workout, I can eat. And I know that now.

This is a lifestyle change for me, NOT a diet.

And for the people complaining that they are being picked on for eating 1200 calories a day, remember this site is called my FITNESS pal and those of us recommending eating more have learned to lift heavier and fuel the body, we've learned that FITNESS helps.

That being said, some people might be okay with 1200 calories. To me, I cannot fathom sustaining a whole lifetime on this.

nice post, totally agree!! :-)

Thanks Em!!!
  • Psufilmgirl
    Psufilmgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    In my opinion(that's right, my OPINION), here is what I have learned from weight loss(and we are talking about a 15 year period here, starting at when I was 13)

Weight Watchers-only works if you read everything and go to meetings, for me. I lost 50lbs when I was 13 and I gained it all back, plus some. Because I was a kid and I wanted to eat like my friends. Tried it again as an adult, never lost more than 10-15 pounds.

Tried Atkins-wasn't sustainable for me, I'm Italian, I like pasta.

Finally, at age 30, I've learned that to lose the weight, it not only has to come from changing how you eat, but from inside as well. Your head will mess with you, tell you you can't eat a certain food, or tell you that you're fat when you look in the mirror. I've read a ton of health related things and I bust my butt while in grad school to work so I can pay for a trainer once a week.

I've learned that for me, 1200 calories a day doesn't work. I tried it for 2 weeks and stopped losing. Now, I'm at 1900 calories, give or take. I eat 40/30/30, and I do cardio 2x a week and lift 3x a week.

EDIT-forgot to mention that I've lost 15lbs in two months, 5 inches from my waist, and 5 inches from my hips. And I EAT FOOD. I just had a burger for the first time in two months, and it was DELISH. I'm not depriving myself anymore, If I workout, I can eat. And I know that now.

This is a lifestyle change for me, NOT a diet.

And for the people complaining that they are being picked on for eating 1200 calories a day, remember this site is called my FITNESS pal and those of us recommending eating more have learned to lift heavier and fuel the body, we've learned that FITNESS helps.

That being said, some people might be okay with 1200 calories. To me, I cannot fathom sustaining a whole lifetime on this.

FTW! Best post I've read on this site in quite awhile. I'm with you! I fuel my body to sustain my workouts. I eat 1800+ cals a day. I've lost 101 lbs and still losing along with maintaining the muscle I have built. I'm getting close to my goal and keep waiting for the loss to stall but it hasn't so I'm going to keep plugging away and eating :wink:

AWESOME!!!! I'm totally adding you as a friend! I'm trying to friend women who understand this, because they are so supportive!!

Anyone feel free to add me, I know what these struggles are like, and I am happy to provide support!
  • mbishop71
    mbishop71 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I don't plan on maintaining a lifetime of 1200 NET calories. I plan on losing weight on that. When I get to a maintenance level, obviously I would not stay at 1200 NET.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    So what do you say to those who MFP TELLS to eat 1200 or less if they want to lose??? Why even use the site if it isn't accurate or healthy?
    ....I'm curious to know the answer to this :?

I tell them to be realistic. It's a calculator. It doesn't care if you end up weak, ill or in the hospital.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

I don't plan on maintaining a lifetime of 1200 NET calories. I plan on losing weight on that. When I get to a maintenance level, obviously I would not stay at 1200 NET.
    ^^^this times 9000
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    I know this post isn't calling out anyone in particular, but remember, this doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. I'm VERY short and have a small bone structure. Following even this advice (maintenance cals - even only 10%) takes me right around that magic 1200, by the time I'm near my goal the minimal 10% is under 1200, I believe.

Yeah, if you're a 6 foot, 300 pound man exercising daily, 1200 cals is definitely not the way to go. But for the other 5 foot desk job girls, 1200 is not starvation. Rather than take these rules as hard and fast ("never eat less than 1200 no matter who you are or what your situation!"), it's much better to work out the best plan for your personal weight loss. Of course this isn't to say every shortie can eat this much (or little, rather), as I know of several in my family alone who can eat much more thanks to vigorous daily exercise.

I still keep myself over 1200 a day because I like how I feel best around 1300, but there are definitely people over 10 years old that 1200 is just fine for.
    I agree with this!
  • k9blues
    k9blues Posts: 2
    Options
    Sad but true for a shortie (5ft0) and a desk job girl!!!
    >>But for the other 5 foot desk job girls, 1200 is not starvation

It doesn't put you into starvation mode if you gain additional calories by walking 35+ mins or so or doing some cardio to gain you some extra calories. Also logging what you eat makes you aware of how much junk is consumed in an office weekly. I used to eat 2/3 Krispy Kreme's when someone brought them in for their birthday, now I limit myself to 1 and do some light cardio (zumba, walking). Weekends I go for a jog as I know I may eat more and may have some wine.

I am finally shedding weight (slowly) eating around 1,200 calories. I have always worked out, but as I have gotten older the weight has gotten harder to shift eating 1,500 a day.
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    Thank you SO much for posting this! I'm new to the site, but def. not new to trying to loose weight. I had been trying to stay at or under 1200 calories because I figured the less food I ate the more weight I would lose. I was hungry most of the time and discouraged because I just wasn't losing much. I upped my calories, have upped my cardio as well and started doing weight training and eating back about half of my earned calories and I feel GREAT! I'm never hungry, I have a lovely almost full feeling and the pounds are just FALLING OFF! It doesn't make any sense to deprive your body of food to try and loose weight.....we need food, and as long as it's good healthy food with good exercise added in, weight loss will happen. I think that this is a much better way for me to lose weight and it completely negates the need to figure out how to live "normally" once I get to my goal....that was always my downfall before. I would restrict myself so severely (1200 cal. or less) and then once I got to a happy weight I'd eat "normally" and gain it all back. This is my new normal!
    Options

1200 NET is very different than 1200 period/gross/total. VERY VERY different.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    What I don't get, is when people say having a setting to lose 2 lbs a week with less than 50lbs to lose is considered unsafe or "bad". It really isn't. OK, if you are slim, trim, athletic, then yes 2lbs a week is drastic, but if you are over 3 stone (42lbs+) to lose (which is A LOT) then 2lbs a week is healthy. Not to say it will happen like that consistently (some weeks it'll stay the same or lose 1lb or 0.5 lbs) but there is absolutely nothing wrong or unhealthy about it.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options

1200 NET is very different than 1200 period/gross/total. VERY VERY different.

THIS! I think there is a lot of confusion about NET and GROSS and that's where people start freaking out or taking the wrong course
    Options
    The thought is that if you have less than 50 pounds to lose that you're likely under 200 pounds already--the safe rate is generally 1% of your bodyweight. So if you're under 200 pounds you cannot "safely" lose 2 pounds a week if you go by the 1% standard.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    I know this post isn't calling out anyone in particular, but remember, this doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. I'm VERY short and have a small bone structure. Following even this advice (maintenance cals - even only 10%) takes me right around that magic 1200, by the time I'm near my goal the minimal 10% is under 1200, I believe.

Yeah, if you're a 6 foot, 300 pound man exercising daily, 1200 cals is definitely not the way to go. But for the other 5 foot desk job girls, 1200 is not starvation. Rather than take these rules as hard and fast ("never eat less than 1200 no matter who you are or what your situation!"), it's much better to work out the best plan for your personal weight loss. Of course this isn't to say every shortie can eat this much (or little, rather), as I know of several in my family alone who can eat much more thanks to vigorous daily exercise.

I still keep myself over 1200 a day because I like how I feel best around 1300, but there are definitely people over 10 years old that 1200 is just fine for.

Net your BMR in that case.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Blah blah blah blah... new topic please.
  • AmandaJames25
    Options
    But what if you have to lose X pounds by a certain date? I don't have the time to do anything long term. I need to drop another 13 pounds in a little over 4 months.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I personally have my goals set for slow and steady weight loss. I have another 60 lbs. to lose and my target date is January 1, 2014--another 21 months. I do not intend to go below 1,200 calories a day, even though I am short (5'4"), older (57) and relatively sedentary. For me, this is sustainable.

But, there may be very petite women who CAN go lower than 1,200 without it being starvation. All roads lead to Rome. I say whatever works for the individual is okay with me.
  • jumpin15
    jumpin15 Posts: 30
    Options
    Bump, interesting.....
  • kimdhsingh
    Options
    Glad you put this out there for everyone. I learned the hard way. I went for months eating only about 1200 calories when I should be consuming around 1600-1800 and ended up gaining almost 20 pounds of the 115 I had lost. So now I'm having to make sure to eat enough calories and the weight is coming back off. Its a hard lesson to learn!