Seriously ... 1200 calories or less

Options

Replies

• HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I hate the posts with "I can't eat 1200 calories" Seriously?!

I hate the posts with "You to do everything I say because it worked for me and I"m right" Seriously?!
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Well when it comes time to consider myself as a "PRO Athlete" , THEN I will induce my daily calories. Until then....it will remain 1,000 calories as it has been for the last 8 months. And I STILL have no problem in keeping myself active. I am happy to have lost 62 pounds. I have 48 more pounds left to go. You do your calorie intake....and I'll do mine.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    I hate the phrase starvation mode. I prefer to call it "sure, you'll still lose pounds, but a disproportionate amount will be from muscle mass so you'll look a lot worse when you get to your goal weight than you would have if you ate a little bit more and weren't so focused on the damn scale, not to mention that you're training your body to survive on a small amount of food, so you're gong to be stuck 'dieting' just to maintain a healthy weight" mode.

But it's a bit wordy.
    prove it, or it never happened
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    MFP and the % deficit both tell me that for a 1lb weight loss or 20% reduction in cals to eat 1600 , this is my goal ...

for a small person 1200 is fine but for tall people starving yourself is stupid. 1lb a week is a sustainable and sensible weight loss.

Fad diets are for quick losses , doing a small reduction in cals is more likely to lead to maintaining the lower weight due to new habits.

My mother sees a dietician and she says never eat less than 1500 cals , and to eat peanut butter if you're not eating quorn/meat in a day because nutrition is important its relaly hard to get the right nutrition in less than 1500 cals unless you really know what you are doing.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I agree and dont get this either!!! I tried explaining it but of course it didnt get through to anyone. Maybe it's called being a busybody? If someone asks for advice then ok but this is not how this thread was started.

Because some of us like sharing what we've learned?

I wish I was part of a community like this and saw topics like this when I was eating under 1000 calories a day thinking it was the only way to lose weight. Would have been really nice to see that there were other options and lots of people were getting better results from eating the right amount of food, instead of eating as little as possible.
  • sxynanaplay
    sxynanaplay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Its not just the caloric number you have to pay attention to there are alot of factors that are involved in how much you should eat, excercise etc. If you are at that 1200 calorie mark, you need to eat small portion of food throughout the day, you cant just eat something at noon then wait til dinner to eat again, its all about portions and those small inbetween snacks that will keep your tummy satisfied also you need to incorporate protein if your excercising because before i would work out without protein and i felt like i was very tired. It is all about caloric deficit , if you eat 2500 calories normally then you would need to cut at least 500 because it takes 3500 calories burned to lose 1 pound. to each is own and you need to listen to your body and figure out what works for you in a healthy way.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I know this post isn't calling out anyone in particular, but remember, this doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. I'm VERY short and have a small bone structure. Following even this advice (maintenance cals - even only 10%) takes me right around that magic 1200, by the time I'm near my goal the minimal 10% is under 1200, I believe.

Yeah, if you're a 6 foot, 300 pound man exercising daily, 1200 cals is definitely not the way to go. But for the other 5 foot desk job girls, 1200 is not starvation. Rather than take these rules as hard and fast ("never eat less than 1200 no matter who you are or what your situation!"), it's much better to work out the best plan for your personal weight loss. Of course this isn't to say every shortie can eat this much (or little, rather), as I know of several in my family alone who can eat much more thanks to vigorous daily exercise.

I still keep myself over 1200 a day because I like how I feel best around 1300, but there are definitely people over 10 years old that 1200 is just fine for.

Agreed! I'm 4'9, 98 lbs, and small boned. I usually net 800-1100, depending on how hungry I am. And I have lost 32 lbs in 5 months.

This is not true, I am 4' 11" and lose just fine EATING!!!! You have trained your body to handle that little of food and that is why you see weight gain when you up your calories. If you exercise and build muscle you will HAVE to eat more calories. Being short, small petite is not an excuse.

I challenge you to check yout body fat %. When I was 89lbs I had no muscle and was flabby because I ate that little of food and didnt exercise.

I can understand using your hieght as an excuse to why you see a 5lb weight gain and normal size person doesn't. But undereating is not the answer to weight loss for the Fun sized.

End Rant.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    The time of day you eat has no effect on anything. You can eat 1200 calories in one meal and not eat at all the rest of the day. People keep saying eat 6 times a day, tiny portions, make sure they are 2-3 hours apart. Don't eat after 6pm, 10pm, or whatever.

Everyone is a nutritionist, everyone is a scientist, everyone has a degree on knowing everything about everything about everything. We get that. I say the sky is baby blue, you say there's no such thing as baby blue, blue is blue!!!

Doesn't matter, if 1200 calories worked for Ms. Andrews, and 2000 worked for Ms. Michals, then who's right?
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I started with the 1200 calories a day just to shrink my stomach. Now its been about a month and I am not always hungry, I get full quicker, and do not eat as big of portions. I would say that the 1200 is a good starting point to shrink your stomach, but it is not maintanable to an EXTENT. For some people it is, but of course, everyone is different, so it takes trying different things until your body finds its "magic" number!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    BTW, Physicans only have to take a class/CME course or 2 while in medical school/residency. Most states dont require a referesher course in nutrition when getting licensed. (I credential physicians for a living) Most of them know very little about nutrition and exercise. If you are getting advice from your doctor, make sure they have some specialization in nutrition. If they can't or dont answer then request to be reffered to a registered dietition.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I hate the phrase starvation mode. I prefer to call it "sure, you'll still lose pounds, but a disproportionate amount will be from muscle mass so you'll look a lot worse when you get to your goal weight than you would have if you ate a little bit more and weren't so focused on the damn scale, not to mention that you're training your body to survive on a small amount of food, so you're gong to be stuck 'dieting' just to maintain a healthy weight" mode.

But it's a bit wordy.

I love you.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I really have a hard time understanding...

1.. why people care so much about someone else's business.. do what works for you

2.. why is it so hard to understand that there just maybe some people that are short/small that don't need 4k/day to survive... everyone is different. someone that is 5;0 that doesn't powerlift or run marathons can get by just fine on 1k and still be healthy so long as that 1k is healthy food and not 4 snickers..

I agree and dont get this either!!! I tried explaining it but of course it didnt get through to anyone. Maybe it's called being a busybody? If someone asks for advice then ok but this is not how this thread was started.

Why be so negative? For some it may be true, but for others like myself it's about sharing what we've learned along this journey. If you don't like then don't read the thread.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    to somebody previously ... I am actually a scientist.

A lot of research people bring up about dieting is totally unscientific and unproven but is taken as gospel.
    Anecdotal evidence which most use is pretty much invalid research.

to others .

Gaining adequate nutrition is hard on a low calorie diet that is fact

3500 cals to lose a lb, or starvation mode - I havent seen any hard proof of either but id like to if somebody has some

personally I need to eat several times a day otherwise I feel faint and suffer with indigestion ... but thats just me
  • sparkly96
    sparkly96 Posts: 120
    Options

Because some of us like sharing what we've learned?

I wish I was part of a community like this and saw topics like this when I was eating under 1000 calories a day thinking it was the only way to lose weight. Would have been really nice to see that there were other options and lots of people were getting better results from eating the right amount of food, instead of eating as little as possible.

But what you learned came from your very own personal experience and is not true for all cases and everyone. Just as many people who have lost weight by eating more calories are coming on this thread saying they have HAD success eating 1200 calories or less. Point is everyone is different.

As i said before i eat 1200 calories on a regular basis. Some days may be a little more some days less depending on the day and activities. Never felt tired or lost muscle mass, in fact i felt better than ever shedding the extra weight.
    I'm 4 '11 and for me this is whats good for my body. I would not advise someone to eat the same amounts I eat or to do exactly what im doing because we are all different. What works for some may not for others but its not fair to say that your way is the "right" way to go and the only way. For you, it worked and thats great but there are other options as well.
  • sparkly96
    sparkly96 Posts: 120
    Options

1.. why people care so much about someone else's business.. do what works for you

2.. why is it so hard to understand that there just maybe some people that are short/small that don't need 4k/day to survive... everyone is different. someone that is 5;0 that doesn't powerlift or run marathons can get by just fine on 1k and still be healthy so long as that 1k is healthy food and not 4 snickers..

Why be so negative? For some it may be true, but for others like myself it's about sharing what we've learned along this journey. If you don't like then don't read the thread.

Im not the negative one here!!! There are tons of threads on this topic. When someone like myself disagrees and "share's" my own experience with a 1200 calorie diet i read how unhealthy it is and that you put your body in starvation mode and blah blah blah. Guess what, im losing and perfectily healthy and the amount of calories i consume were approved by my doctor. Meawhile no one here knows me personally and bottom line everyone's dieting journey is their own. There is no set rule for how it will go. People shared thier experience and im sharing mine.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options

Im not the negative one here!!! There are tons of threads on this topic. When someone like myself disagrees and "share's" my own experience with a 1200 calorie diet i read how unhealthy it is and that you put your body in starvation mode and blah blah blah. Guess what, im losing and perfectily healthy and the amount of calories i consume were approved by my doctor. Meawhile no one here knows me personally and bottom line everyone's dieting journey is their own. There is no set rule for how it will go. People shared thier experience and im sharing mine.

^^^^^^this^^^^^^
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This has probably been posted many many times, but I'm sick of people posting
    topics saying they can't lose any weight, and you ask how many calories they consume.
    And they'll tell you less than 1200. Are you serious? are you joking? A 10 year old eats more than that.

First of all, go find out what your calorie maintenance is.
    Second of all, decrease the amount of calories by 10-20%. For example, if maintenance is 2000 calories
    then to lose weight, consume 1600-1800. That's it, it's that easy. Why are people under eating?
    Every single athlete which competes in a sport with specific weight divisions, whether it be an MMA fighter
    or a wrestler or a boxer etc, and especially body builders (when it comes to cutting weight)
    will tell you exactly the same thing, if you want to cut weight, eat 10-20% under your maintenance.
    If you eat under at 1200 calories:

1) metabolism will slow down
    2) body will try to retain what little that you eat as fat for energy
    3) when you eat high calories again, you bet that you will gain all that weight you lost back

Anyway, that's just me venting. Not picking on anyone, it's more out of me wanting to help people.
    Because I've been there and I've done that, and 1200 calories or less is not the way to go. You got to
    eat to lose weight, SOUNDS RIDICULOUS RIGHT? well it ain't, not even the slightest. =]

MFP set me to 1200, I never eat below this and I eat back all my exercise cals. I was losing 1lb a week but this has been slowing down recently which I thought was due to me starting a gym and now getting fit (fitter than I was anyway)!

Using the calculator ( http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/calories-to-lose-weight) it said my BMR was 1870 cals. Your suggestion of a - 20% deficit would = 1496.... Hmmmm :happy:

My BMR is 1317 so at -20% my daily calorie intake would be at 1053?? See that doesn't make sense. I am only 5'0" and 120. What the heck should I be eating? MFP has me set at 1200, and I've been trying to eat back some of my exercise calories lately. I would like to lose another 10 lbs.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    If you are so happy and successful eating 1200 then good for you, you should probably keep doing what works.

I personally will never do it because it's completely unsustainable, if I do it for a prolonged period I am prone to bing eating, usually on the weekend. I also felt hungry all the time, even after I had just eaten something. Because I was hungry all the time I was extremely moody and unpleasant to be around. To top is all off I had little to no energy to exercise at all.

The only way I've been able to maintain a 1200 net calorie diet is by burning at least 600 calories via exercise so I can eat a normal amount of food. Of course it seems like the same people who want to eat only 1200 calories also have issues with eating back exercise calories which just compounds the issue, IMO.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options

But it's a bit wordy.
    prove it, or it never happened

Oh and here you go.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/491448-research-on-the-starvation-diet/

I'd be interested if you can find me a study or article referencing a study that disproves this. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm genuinely interested from a scientific standpoint.
  • Purdyrc
    Purdyrc Posts: 1
    Options
    Simple equation to find out what your intake should be, see below:

your weight x 7= your intake to lose weight

As you lose, recalculate!