Seriously ... 1200 calories or less

Options

Replies

• sparkly96
    sparkly96 Posts: 120
    Options
    People are always going to try and justify barely eating to lose weight.

I am short too with a small frame. I eat NO LESS than 1700 calories to lose weight.

ditto!! I am 4'11 and work my *kitten* off so that I am a muscular, sexy, fit ~100 pounds instead of a skinny fat, starving, beast eating 1200 calories a day without the energy to workout.

Now was that comment helpful to anyone, no. It was actually insulting. I'm 4 '11 too and eating a 1200 calorie diet who is not a starving beast. I am not looking to be 100lbs like you instead im looking to have a more womanly curvy figure which does not make me "skinny fat". I've always had an hourglass figure and when i was 100lbs i was frail looking and my bones stuck out. At 125lbs i look my best and was a size 6 which is not fat or skinny fat. So is jenifer Lopez, Kim Kardasian, Sofia Vegara, Salma Hayek and other curvy women skinny fat in your opinion?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

I am short too with a small frame. I eat NO LESS than 1700 calories to lose weight.

ditto!! I am 4'11 and work my *kitten* off so that I am a muscular, sexy, fit ~100 pounds instead of a skinny fat, starving, beast eating 1200 calories a day without the energy to workout.

Now was that comment helpful to anyone, no. It was actually insulting. I'm 4 '11 too and eating a 1200 calorie diet who is not a starving beast. I am not looking to be 100lbs like you instead im looking to have a more womanly curvy figure which does not make me "skinny fat". I've always had an hourglass figure and when i was 100lbs i was frail looking and my bones stuck out. At 125lbs i look my best and was a size 6 which is not fat or skinny fat. So is jenifer Lopez, Kim Kardasian, Sofia Vegara, Salma Hayek and other curvy women skinny fat in your opinion?

not in the slightest--I was only referring to MYSELF....If I...not YOU, not anyone else....ate 1200 calories then I would be 1) skinny fat 2) a starving beast and 3) quite unhappy. I'm not making any statements about what YOU are...I find Kimmy K beautiful actually--go read that thread, I've posted all over it about how I think people bashing her and calling her fat is absolutely atrocious...but for ME...I'd lose loads of muscle (leading to skinny fat) if I decided to embark on such a low calorie diet--so it's not my cuppa tea.
  • ellyfilho
    ellyfilho Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 1200 a day ( because that's what the site said for me to do ) and for me it's hard because I never ate every 3 hrs. i use to eat 2x a day and very bad choices of food. for me... not eating made me put on 70lbs. so now i eat 1200-1300 a day but i eat a lot more healthy foods and more often then I use to. I lost 5lbs this week and I was very surprised. and extremely happy motivated me to it the gym and keep eating LOL
  • Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    Options
    So help me out, MFP had my calories at 1490, but then I manually lowered it to 1400. Previously it was set at 1390 based on previous activity level.

MFP shows me BMR at 1360
    Fitness frog shows my TDEE at 2210

So what's that mean?

EDIT: in my goal section MFP also shows this.

Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity 1,970 calories/day

I believe, and I'm no pro or expert, that your body needs 1360 to keep going- breathing blood pumping, etc.- while sitting still all day Then with all you do- walking, cleaning, exercising, etc.- you burn 2210. 1970 is possibly your maintenance.

My maintenance is approx 1750, BMR is 1284, and TDEE is 2096 (with 2-3X exercise though I workout every day). I, too, am unsure of how to figure all my calories from these numbers. So, I have gone with 500 under my maintenance as my Net goal. However, I eat around 2,000 per day and burn 750+ to get my Net back down.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable can chime in with what we really should be doing with those numbers.
  • Emabo
    Emabo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I try to eat around 1200-1300 calories a day, except like others I am on the short side (5'0). I don't see it being a problem when short, except I have friends on here who are 5'4+, have a larger BmI, and eat around 1000 a day.. So it really depends on the situation.
  • sparkly96
    Options
    I'm doing the 1200 a day ( because that's what the site said for me to do ) and for me it's hard because I never ate every 3 hrs. i use to eat 2x a day and very bad choices of food. for me... not eating made me put on 70lbs. so now i eat 1200-1300 a day but i eat a lot more healthy foods and more often then I use to. I lost 5lbs this week and I was very surprised. and extremely happy motivated me to it the gym and keep eating LOL

WTG, a 1200 calorie diet is all about the food choices you make. There a lots of foods out there to chose from that you can eat and still stay in your daily caloric allowance to lose weight in a healthy way without starving yourself as you proved to be true.
    Options
    So help me out, MFP had my calories at 1490, but then I manually lowered it to 1400. Previously it was set at 1390 based on previous activity level.

MFP shows me BMR at 1360

So what's that mean?

I believe, and I'm no pro or expert, that your body needs 1360 to keep going- breathing blood pumping, etc.- while sitting still all day Then with all you do- walking, cleaning, exercising, etc.- you burn 2210. 1970 is possibly your maintenance.

My maintenance is approx 1750, BMR is 1284, and TDEE is 2096 (with 2-3X exercise though I workout every day). I, too, am unsure of how to figure all my calories from these numbers. So, I have gone with 500 under my maintenance as my Net goal. However, I eat around 2,000 per day and burn 750+ to get my Net back down.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable can chime in with what we really should be doing with those numbers.

Your maintenance amount IS your TDEE. I'd recommend setting your NET goal at your sedentary burn (1284x 1.2) and use your activity to achieve a deficit.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and 160 lbs right now. My calorie maintenance is 2042. My fat loss range is 1300-1600 daily. I try to keep it under 1400/day. I was doing under 1200 which is what the site told me, but I was feeling so full by dinner time so I went to 1400 cal. I am still losing weight and am feeling less full then before. But everybody is different, you have to do what feels right for you.
  • sparkly96
    Options

not in the slightest--I was only referring to MYSELF....If I...not YOU, not anyone else....ate 1200 calories then I would be 1) skinny fat 2) a starving beast and 3) quite unhappy. I'm not making any statements about what YOU are...I find Kimmy K beautiful actually--go read that thread, I've posted all over it about how I think people bashing her and calling her fat is absolutely atrocious...but for ME...I'd lose loads of muscle (leading to skinny fat) if I decided to embark on such a low calorie diet--so it's not my cuppa tea.

According to ur profile you only had like 8lbs to lose and seem fit and never had to go through a major weight loss. Eating 1200 calories for you would not work since you work out but for someone on a weight loss program they can safely consume 1200 calories without starving themselves. Even with the 8lbs you had to lose a maintenance diet with higher calories seems to work for you.
    Although you were making a reference to yourself saying you would be a "starving beast" it seemed to imply that anyone else on a 1200 calories diet may be as well.
    Looks like we both brought something to table being short women consuming different calorie amounts. Hopefully it is helpful to others.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options

MFP shows me BMR at 1360

So what's that mean?

Thank you. Makes a little more sense to me. Still confusing at times because different sites say different things or a different calculation at one site vs. another.
    Options

According to ur profile you only had like 8lbs to lose and seem fit and never had to go through a major weight loss. Eating 1200 calories for you would not work since you work out but for someone on a weight loss program they can safely consume 1200 calories without starving themselves. Even with the 8lbs you had to lose a maintenance diet with higher calories seems to work for you.
    Although you were making a reference to yourself saying you would be a "starving beast" it seemed to imply that anyone else on a 1200 calories diet may be as well.
    Looks like we both brought something to table being short women consuming different calorie amounts. Hopefully it is helpful to others.

and my point is that it CAN work for other people too. 1200 calories is lower than I'd EVER eat even without exercising an ounce BECAUSE beyond weight loss, it's important to eat enough to provide the nutrients necessary so that the metabolic processes of the human body can occur. Yes, I'd like lose weight eating 1200 calories but a host of hormonal changes would occur that would lead to 1) binge eating 2) depression (yes depression) 3) lack of energy. I don't think that it is NECESSARY to eat that few calories for a majority of people--they can change their goals and have a slower loss whilst eating 1500 calories a day and taking a brisk walk after dinner--problem solved.
  • ellyfilho
    ellyfilho Posts: 13 Member
    Options

WTG, a 1200 calorie diet is all about the food choices you make. There a lots of foods out there to chose from that you can eat and still stay in your daily caloric allowance to lose weight in a healthy way without starving yourself as you proved to be true.

Thank you for the kind words and Encouragement
  • sparkly96
    Options

and my point is that it CAN work for other people too. 1200 calories is lower than I'd EVER eat even without exercising an ounce BECAUSE beyond weight loss, it's important to eat enough to provide the nutrients necessary so that the metabolic processes of the human body can occur. Yes, I'd like lose weight eating 1200 calories but a host of hormonal changes would occur that would lead to 1) binge eating 2) depression (yes depression) 3) lack of energy. I don't think that it is NECESSARY to eat that few calories for a majority of people--they can change their goals and have a slower loss whilst eating 1500 calories a day and taking a brisk walk after dinner--problem solved.

That can all be true for some. Like i said ive done it before and lost without any problems or any of those effects you mentioned. Everyone is different and that was my point and the reason to stick my 2 cents in and post here. Theres too much generalization going on. Bottom line before anyone starts a weight loss program they should see their doctor and have the doc advise them as to what's best for them. Under the terms of this site its advises members to do that. Unless medically qualified none of us can really speak as to whats right and whats wrong since we all vary in shape and size and never really know the person behind the posts.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's true. Every body is different. Muscle mass, activity level, height, current weight, genetic dispositions, hormonal levels, all those come into play. Just because 1500 works for one person doesn't mean it will work for every person. Same for 1200. Just eat for you.

These calculators, they are based on formulas derived from generalizations. Some people are going to use more calories and some less than what's shown there.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    YESSSS!!! I actually created a group called "Eat More to Weigh Less" that I wish every one of you ladies eating more would join to help me spread the word. I used to do the same thing until the light bulb finally went off. Now I cringe looking at some diaries. But the great thing, the group has grown to almost 400 strong in a couple weeks...people are listening. Just have to keep sharing the truth in love!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's true. Every body is different. Muscle mass, activity level, height, current weight, genetic dispositions, hormonal levels, all those come into play.

True, but some of those things - muscle mass, activity level, current weight - are things you can change. I used to have low muscle mass and was inactive. If I continued to eat very little and not be active, I'd continue to have low muscle mass and not require as many calories.

I have a decent amount of muscle now. A good 15-20 pounds more than I had when I was in my teens and early twenties. But that's not from exercise or strength training... it's the muscle I gained when I gained weight over the years. But since I didn't go the low-cal route when losing weight, I kept most of it.

That's something I never understood before... that I already HAD a pretty good muscle mass, and eating enough to keep it made this whole process soooooo much more pleasant. I didn't lose a terribly dramatic amount of weight in pounds, but I lost a lot of body fat. I'm able to fit into clothes I last wore when I weighed 15-20 pounds LESS than I do now. Which leads me to believe that if I ate low cal while exercising and lost muscle, I would have had to lose 45-50 pounds to look the way I do after losing just 30. And also, that if I'd gotten a number stuck in my head, like "I wanna weigh 120 pounds," I'd have been setting myself up for failure because I would have to lose a lot of muscle to weigh that, or have to have a body fat percentage of only about 10%.
  • jessiepilot
    Options
    Everyone is different, no one should feel like they HAVE to stay under 1200 and no one should feel like they won't loose weight if they don't up their calories. You have to figure out what works for YOUR body - I think we've all probably been on this ride long enough to know our bodies and if eating a certain way makes us feel good or not. There is no blanket rule either way and we should all be happy to find what works for us and be happy for others when they do as well instead of judging them because you don't think what theyre doing is "right" or because it didn't work for you.
    I am a shorty as well and get ready to shudder - I am consistently under 1200 calories and I feel fantastic and am still loosing inches and weight as I build muscle - my diet is rich in natural good foods.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yup, no one should ever feel judged or pressured into going about their diet differently. If it is working, it is working.

I'm short as hell. I have hypothyroidism (genetic). I have a desk job. I'm studying for a certification. My hobbies include reading, writing, and playing video games. I make an effort to hit the gym a few times a week to get some movement in, but it's just not interesting to me to go get ripped or to do large amounts of strength training. Why be something I'm not? I just don't want to be overweight is all.

So if my method is to eat 900-1100 calories a day (this is okayed by my physician, by the way, thank you) and do cardio and light strength training, and it's working and I feel good, who are you to judge that I should be doing something different? Are you an MD? No? Okay then. You do your thing, and I'll do mine.
  • doublezizzle
    doublezizzle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Also, I think the problem with eating such few calories is that it is not a long term solution or a "lifestyle change". If you eat more to weigh less, while not losing muscle mass....that is the healthy, sustainable way to go. That's why you see some people lose a lot of weight at these low calories counts...but they gain the weight back and forth...etc. I'd rather lose the weight slowly while making *sustainable* changes. When I lose all this weight, I don't ever want it to come back! :-))
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Also, I think the problem with eating such few calories is that it is not a long term solution or a "lifestyle change". If you eat more to weigh less, while not losing muscle mass....that is the healthy, sustainable way to go. That's why you see some people lose a lot of weight at these low calories counts...but they gain the weight back and forth...etc. I'd rather lose the weight slowly while making *sustainable* changes. When I lose all this weight, I don't ever want it to come back! :-))

Agreed. Living off of 1200 cals or less per day would make me miserable. Yes, this is something that could be done for a short period of time, but it would be too hard for me to keep it up in the long run. This is why so many low cal diets have failed me in the past. I would do it for a couple of months, lose some weight, feel miserable and then binge until I gained all of the weight back and then some. Eating a balanced diet that consists of sizeable portions of the good stuff is what my body craves. I have lost about 20 pounds so far. I have lost 20 pounds in the past, but I never looked or felt so good. Even at 160 lbs on my 5'2" frame, I'm starting to see muscle tone. I was never able to say that when I was starving myself at 160 lbs.

16774070.png