What is the average calorie intake for everyone?

Options
MFP has me at 1200 a day. So as I been reading posts I've noticed others saying your putting your body in starvation mode. I'm just curious what others average calorie intake daily? I'm 25 years old, 5"7 weighing 145 currently. And I go to gym 4-5 a week and burn between 400-750 calories depending on the day and I don't eat those calories. Should I and if so all of them? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    I also have about 10 pounds I'd like to lose, and I realized that with such a small goal, it didn't make sense to aim for a pound a week. So I changed my settings to .5 lbs a week. Now I get 1650 calories a day--much easier to maintain.

I run almost every day and I absolutely eat most of those calories back!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1790 goal, on days where I exercise I eat as much back as I can, usually up into the low 2000s. It's working fine so far.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I am doing 1200 Mon-Fri (and not eating back exercise calorie), Saturday 2000, and Sunday 3000. It's been working great and I really enjoy my weekends!
  • TynkEMT
    TynkEMT Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello! Thank you for putting this question out there. According to MFP my daily calories is 1490. I have been successful in staying under that amount daily with the exception of three days since I started. Most days I still have anywhere from 0 to 400 calories left at the end of the day. I go to the gym three to four times a week and those days I can have up to 2000 calories at my disposal but to me that just seems like a whole lot of calories.

To be perfectly honest, I don't use all my calories in a day because I sensibly eat when I am hungry, drink only water (I have had two glasses of unsweet tea since beginning), and I don't deprive myself of something I want. On days we go to the gym, I have different foods just to increase the amount of protein to help me burn more fat.

Keep yourself happy and everything will be wonderful!

Ericka
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    MFP wants me to go as low as 1200, but my average is about 1400 on a rest day, 1600-1700 when I'm active. I use MFP as a general guideline just so I don't lose track of how I'm doing, I am not strict with it.

I used to do the 1200 calorie goal. After a few weeks, the weight came off, but I was left starving. Much better to get in more calories with more nutrition, and lose weight at a slower pace. When you treat yourself badly, the weight comes back.
  • momof3boys090808
    momof3boys090808 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I was so clueless when it came to what I was suppose to be eating so I decided to increase to 1490 which is a lb a week :) and continue my excercising. Let's hope i can still lose these extra pounds :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    2600 a day and loosing about a lb a week @ 5'10" 183lbs.

I exercise to eat :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    2600 a day and loosing about a lb a week @ 5'10" 183lbs.

I exercise to eat :)
    I am also close to this. About 2350 for a lb a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RonnieBigGunz
    Options
    6ft, 176lbs.

1500cal/day Monday-Friday (low carb)
    2000cal/day Sat-Sun (high carb)

No cardio (bad knee)
    Weightlifting 3 x week
  • lenaa50
    lenaa50 Posts: 34
    Options
    anyone
    quick question
    do I weigh my pasta/rice raw or after its cooked.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm 22, and 5'9 (almost lol), and 165, trying to get down to 140ish. I eat 1,500 calories minimum. I haven't been doing hardly any exercise due to an injury, but when I'm working out I usually eat some to all of my exercise cals back, depending on how hungry I am. I would definitely make sure that you're netting a minimum of 1,200 cals a day, meaning that if you're set to 1,200 you should eat all your exercise cals back. Just my opinion though. I ate 1,200 for a few days, then bumped up to 1,500 and I feel so much better. And really, an extra 300 calories a day isn't going to dramatically slow down weight loss or anything.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    About 1300-1400 daily . 700-800 net after excersise.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I wanted to aim for 2lbs a week so MFP put me at 1200. At 1200 I still won't be losing 2lbs per week but 1.8lbs roughly.

Anyway. I recently started exercising hardcore and eat my exercise calories back. If I didn't I'd be starving. Hah. Most days I end up netting 1300 calories with a gross of 1600.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    anyone
    quick question

Before - weigh it on a scale. A serving is usually 2 oz.

ETA: I average about 1450 calories per week, to lose 1 pound per week.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    anyone
    quick question
    If you're going by the label on the package, it's before.

2 ounces of pasta is roughly one cooked cup.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    anyone
    quick question

I weigh after it's cooked! Was eating way too much before doing it pre-cook.
  • tracyeglink
    Options
    I'm 25, 5'8'' and 152 lbs. I was doing the 1200/day rule and working out with TurboFire (a beachbody product) 6 days a week where I burn off anywhere between 300-650 cals per workout, and not seeing great results. i consulted some of my friends and my coach, and they confirmed that 1200 cals is the absolute MINIMUM you can consume, but that I was likely going into starvation mode. So I upped my cals to 1500/day and I lost another 2 lbs in a week!

You'll want to make sure you're eating enough for your body, so try googling a calorie calculator and see what it says. 1500/day is working great for me, and we seem pretty similar in body size and activity level, but who knows! Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP has me at 1200 a day. So as I been reading posts I've noticed others saying your putting your body in starvation mode. I'm just curious what others average calorie intake daily? I'm 25 years old, 5"7 weighing 145 currently. And I go to gym 4-5 a week and burn between 400-750 calories depending on the day and I don't eat those calories. Should I and if so all of them? Thanks in advance :)

You should be eating those cals back. Your 1200 goal assumes no working out, when you workout your body requires additional fuel. Also with the amount you have to lose your weekly goal should be 0.5lb loss which should give you more cals, and you should eat the additional ones on top of that.
  • des24rob
    des24rob Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like the .5 lb loss suggestion! And definitly understand that you should aim to eat at least 1/2 of your exercised calories back!