exercise that burns the most fat FAST

Options
Hi, happy to say today is my 15th straight day logging into MFT :flowerforyou: but the first week I got really depressed because not only did I not lose a single pound, but I also gained a pound :brokenheart: but I decided not to give up. So I decided to change my calorie intake from the 1200 they gave me to 1500 and the major part that has now helped in weight loss is the exercises i do.

First off, I want to say that if you are killing yourself at the gym or working out for 60 minutes a day, you might be doing something wrong. I only workout for 20-30 minutes a day and eat whatever i want (even junk food) and losing 3 lbs a week :love: who would have thought?!

So what I found out that burns fat is SHORT, but HIGH intensity workout in INTERVALS!!!
example:
start out with a warm up for like 3 minutes then,
run at 7 miles an hour on the treadmill for 30 seconds then
walk at 2 miles an hour for 30 seconds, then
run at 7 miles an hour for 30 seconds, then
walk at 2 miles an hour for 30 seconds.....do this for like 15-30 and you will FEEL the burn like no other in just those short minutes (I used to do the eliptical for 60 minutes a day and nothing to show for it)

I found out that doing this kind of exercise for 15 minutes burns more fat and calories than jogging at a steady pace for 60 mins. That's because when you're running at that high intensity your heart rate goes up so fast, in turn burning a lot of fat FAST

I've only been doing this for 5 days straight and have lost 3 lbs so far (and eating what i want to)

I just wanted to share with everyone in case someone needed help with a plateau or just gettin rid of your last few stubborn pounds :smile:

Replies

• fitfuntiff
    fitfuntiff Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I will try this beginning next Monday!
  • fitat53
    fitat53 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vanella90
    vanella90 Posts: 10
    Options
    you're welcome :smile:
  • tminus31
    tminus31 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you for letting us know that you have seen results in doing this. I get really sore doing long amounts of running at a time so i think i could handle this perfectly. i am going to give it a try, cant hurt.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Hi, happy to say today is my 15th straight day logging into MFT :flowerforyou: but the first week I got really depressed because not only did I not lose a single pound, but I also gained a pound :brokenheart: but I decided not to give up. So I decided to change my calorie intake from the 1200 they gave me to 1500 and the major part that has now helped in weight loss is the exercises i do.

First off, I want to say that if you are killing yourself at the gym or working out for 60 minutes a day, you might be doing something wrong. I only workout for 20-30 minutes a day and eat whatever i want (even junk food) and losing 3 lbs a week :love: who would have thought?!

So what I found out that burns fat is SHORT, but HIGH intensity workout in INTERVALS!!!
    example:
    walk at 2 miles an hour for 30 seconds.....do this for like 15-30 and you will FEEL the burn like no other in just those short minutes (I used to do the eliptical for 60 minutes a day and nothing to show for it)

I found out that doing this kind of exercise for 15 minutes burns more fat and calories than jogging at a steady pace for 60 mins. That's because when you're running at that high intensity your heart rate goes up so fast, in turn burning a lot of fat FAST

I've only been doing this for 5 days straight and have lost 3 lbs so far (and eating what i want to)

I just wanted to share with everyone in case someone needed help with a plateau or just gettin rid of your last few stubborn pounds :smile:
    Hate to tell you that you don't burn fat doing high intensity exercise. You burn glycogen. You do raise RMR which burns more fat at rest though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • alicialiken
    alicialiken Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with this. This is what I do:

Walk @ 4.0 for .25 miles
    Run @ 6.7 for .75 miles
    Walk @ 4.0 for .25 miles
    Run @ 6.4 for .25 miles
    Walk @ 4.0 for .10 mies

And I keep alternating until I hit my goal (whether it's 2 miles or 5 miles). I've discovered a love for running doing it this way.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    my biggest fat burner turned out to be circuit training, but everyone is different
  • vanella90
    Options
    I completely agree with this. This is what I do:

Walk @ 4.0 for .25 miles
    Run @ 6.7 for .75 miles
    Walk @ 4.0 for .25 miles
    Run @ 6.4 for .25 miles
    Walk @ 4.0 for .10 mies

And I keep alternating until I hit my goal (whether it's 2 miles or 5 miles). I've discovered a love for running doing it this way.

happy to see that someone else has tried it and has had great results :)
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    It DOES work! I lost 1/2 an inch of belly fat the first FOUR DAYS I tried it.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I've been having more luck since I stopped doing intervals and have started doing zone 3 workouts using my HRM. To do this, I have to run or cycle with less intensity, but it seems to be working.

Good luck to everyone as they figure out what works for them!!
  • coke281
    coke281 Posts: 21
    Options
    ZUMBA OR BODY PUMP!!
  • 4boysandme
    Options
    My trainer told me to do this exact thing last week. It confuses the body and shocks it out of its comfort zone. Glad it is working for you.
  • TieshTheGreat
    TieshTheGreat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

example:

Hate to tell you that you don't burn fat doing high intensity exercise. You burn glycogen. You do raise RMR which burns more fat at rest though.

IDEA Fitness member

^^^^this
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Interval workouts like that are great fat burners, the same way weight lifting is great fat burner.

Seems counter-intuitive since both types of workouts are totally carb burning during the actual effort, and with elevated HR during the brief rest periods, is still higher ratio of carb burning compared to steady state slow jogging perhaps.

But the recovery for both is the kicker, and the great fat burner.
    And because both are short efforts, you don't end up with the problem of empty glucose stores after several days, causing muscle burn to kick in.

If you just totally enjoy the cardio over weights, at least doing intervals 2 or 3 days a week gets you the effects of weight lifting.

But you'd be hard pressed to make intervals as effective as straight weight lifting.

Both efforts should be followed up by decent rest the next day, because you won't get as strong as you could without proper recovery.
  • vanella90
    Options
    It DOES work! I lost 1/2 an inch of belly fat the first FOUR DAYS I tried it.
    I lost 1 inch in each thigh after 5 days of doing this.....i almost teared up lol cause it has taken me MONTHS just to lose an inch, so even though an inch is not much, it means somthing to me because it's the begining of progress with promising results :)
  • vanella90
    Options
    My trainer told me to do this exact thing last week. It confuses the body and shocks it out of its comfort zone. Glad it is working for you.
    and that's what a lot of people don't know/understand: when you do the same old routine workouts for long, steady periods of time (like I use to do) your body adusts to that and therefore makes it hard to lose weight. When your body keeps getting different mixtures of exercises it stays confused and therefore can't adapt resulting in more weightloss. Glad you're trying it too and hope you see the results you want :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    The main context here is that people are upping the intensity. Unless you're put in an "uncomfortable" zone, results will usually be slow. You aren't "confusing" the muscle, your forcing it to work where it wasn't before. HIIT works because of the intensity. You can do HIIT with just about any exercise, weight lifting included. Just don't do HIIT everyday. It's rough on the nervous system and it could also stop you from getting results.

IDEA Fitness member
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    and that's what a lot of people don't know/understand: when you do the same old routine workouts for long, steady periods of time (like I use to do) your body adusts to that and therefore makes it hard to lose weight. When your body keeps getting different mixtures of exercises it stays confused and therefore can't adapt resulting in more weightloss. Glad you're trying it too and hope you see the results you want :smile:

Well, it's not so much as confusion, but rather your body is getting more efficient in several ways for what you are doing.
    Do something different, and it's inefficient again. For a while.
    You can also move to another whole different type of workout for same effect. No confusion, just inefficiency. For awhile.

1 - A pace that used to have a higher heart rate and level of effort, and therefore greater calorie burn, now is much easier and therefore less workout and less calorie burn.

2 - You muscles get more efficient at operating in general for an effort, which leads to effect 1 too.

You can overcome the calorie burn part by increasing the pace so the HR stays the same as it always is, then calories burned will be the same.

The kicker for folks losing weight is you can become more aerobically fit long before you lose enough weight to increase the effort enough to make up the difference.
    Kill your joints.

Those doing spin and elliptical have better ability of just increasing the pace/tension and keep HR the same high level, and same burn. That's why jogging as first exercise can lose effectiveness.

And, even with the sprints/intervals, outside is best so you really pick up the pace.

You can end up in exactly the same boat by just constantly putting the higher pace at the same speed.
    At some point, it won't be the same level of effort as it used to be, so you'll have to increase that pace again.

Exactly like with weight lifting, eventually you must increase the weight so it's not easy for you.
  • Andrealana
    Options
    Yes! I love running intervals. I've just never been one of those people who can jog/run at the same speed for long periods of time.

For my cardio, I do (in 45 second-60 second periods for 20 minutes total):

Warm up - 2.5 mph, 3 mph, 3.5 mph
    Cardio - 6 mph, 4 mph, 6 mph, 4 mph, 7 mph, 5.5 mph, 7 mph, 4 mph (repeat until cool down)
    Cool down - 3 mph, 2.5 mph, 2 mph

Then I do weight/circuit training.

I would not have been able to lose weight any other way. I'm not a hardcore gym person and I HATE running, so this made it manageable. I've lost 40 pounds, so something's going right!