Detox ideas????

Options
thinclo
thinclo Posts: 164 Member
Hi everyone,

I'd really like to try a detox as my eating habits haven't been great the last few weeks and Im feeling really sluggish and tired. I want something thats going to help get me motivated again and stop me feeling like a lazy, sleepy, bloated pig lol. Does anyone have any tried and tested detoxes that worked great or even any that I should avoid?

Thanks in advance :)

14580293.png

Replies

• twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of fruits and veg, your body will naturally do it on its own. :)
  • thinclo
    Options
    Eat lots of fruits and veg, your body will naturally do it on its own. :)

are there things I should avoid eating for it to work? sorry im clueless on detoxing :blushing:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    You say you're clueless about detoxing, so I suggest a trip to the mayo clinic website. Read what they have to say. Or I'll summarize for you:

Detoxing doesn't do anything except make you miserable and empty your wallet.

Just focus on a healthy diet and you should be good to go.
  • kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling like you need a good detox because you've been eating crap... then I've got the perfect solution. First of all, get your diet back to good and eat better. Drink a lot of water. Second, (i used this the other day because I've had a particularly bad week of eating food wise, though still under my calorie goal) take fiber. I use the pills and take the recommended dose. Then, drink a cup of coffee.

That's it. I gaurentee you'll be cleansed in no time at all. Ok, that's a lie. It'll be about an hour after you do it and don't make any plans for the next 20 minutes.
  • enginerd81
    Options
    If you're feeling like you need a good detox because you've been eating crap... then I've got the perfect solution. First of all, get your diet back to good and eat better. Drink a lot of water. Second, (i used this the other day because I've had a particularly bad week of eating food wise, though still under my calorie goal) take fiber. I use the pills and take the recommended dose. Then, drink a cup of coffee.

That's it. I gaurentee you'll be cleansed in no time at all. Ok, that's a lie. It'll be about an hour after you do it and don't make any plans for the next 20 minutes.

Ha!

Seriously detoxing is a made up fix to a fake problem.
  • kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Don't disagree... but I will say honestly I felt much better after I did it. I was serious. I felt bloated and backed up due to having some poor food choices and this made me feel great for whatever reason. I felt like I was floating on air. If she's feeling the same, I suggest at least giving it a shot.
  • cmbert22655
    cmbert22655 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Check out Mark Hyman, MD The UltraSimple Diet that offers clean food nutrition and natural detox to restore the PH of your body.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I did a detox a few months back. It was my first and it was BRUTAL but I am glad I did it. It was more of a practice in self control than to really "cleanse" my body, but I did want to get away from processed crap.

This is what we did, I don't know if it is the most effective (or healthy even) but it worked for us:

Eat ONLY RAW fruits and vegetables for 5 days. Nothing steamed, nothing cooked in ANY way, nothing dried (spices), nothing out of a package or processed in any way etc. And water. That is it.

Like I said I don't have much experience with detoxes but I really was glad I did this. It taught me that I AM stronger than my urges, and to appreciate food. It's funny/sad, when doing it I learned what hunger REALLY was the FIRST TIME in my life. Hunger is when you don't really want to eat something because it is in any way appealling, but because you NEED to eat.

It was brutal. But I'm glad I did it and now I listen to my body better. Soon after I found MFP and I think eating healthy and well balanced every day is a WAY better method to go, but if you want to try a detox just for the hell of it, go for it.

Good luck on your journey. And don't do anything that too extreme and damage yourself!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Detoxing are for those on drugs and alcohol. You don't need to do it, just make sure you're getting in your correct macro/micronutrients, staying within calorie limits and exercising.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If you have become contaminated with toxins, you should go to the ER.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Get about 80% of your calories from a good balanced diet. Drink water. Work out if possible.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Your kidneys and liver, assuming they're functioning properly, are all you need.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I did a sort of detox last week, veggies, fruit, some dairy, chicken, low sugar. I ate a LOT of veggies and drank a lot of water. I only lost a pound but I felt great. Also I have been taking B12
  • thinclo
    Options

I never mentioned anything about toxins. I merely stated that my digestive system doesnt feel like its working as efficiently as it could be.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

I never mentioned anything about toxins. I merely stated that my digestive system doesnt feel like its working as efficiently as it could be.
    The word "detox" is short for detoxification, implying that one has toxins that one wishes to get rid of.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies and plenty of water!
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You could add an acidophilus supplement to your clean, healthy diet, or some other pro-biotics. And water really helps, especially after the first few days of drinking 8 big glasses a day.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I bought a juicer a couple weeks ago and LOVE it!!! Juice fruits (probably only one fruit juice a day-because of the sugars) and I juice vegetables. Watch "Fat, sick, and nearly dead" It is on netflix. I think Juicing is a very healhy way to detox seeing you are detoxing on all natural plants and vegetables. Just my opinion :)
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah; and you wouldnt have to do an all out detox. I make a fruit juice in the morning for breakfast, snack throughout the day, have a decent luch, and have a veggie juice. I feel good because I am pumping tons of veggies and fruits into my body
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    If I eat really poorly for more than a day, I get to feeling like this too, the bloated, sluggish feeling. It's crazy, I never would have noticed it before I started working out and listening to my body, The best thing for me is to spend a day really pushing water and eating lots of raw veggies. Usually puts me right back on track.
    I hope you feel better soon!