Energy Drinks

Options
What are your thoughts on energy drinks? Do you prefer the sugar free or the regular or none at all?

I enjoy a lo-carb or sugar free energy drink 2-3 times a week, usually on the days I work late. I don't see an issue with it but when co workers see me drinking it some stop and tell me how bad those are for me. Besides the obvious caffeine is there anything else that is really that bad in it?

Replies

• m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Personally noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo way!

but if there is a true energy need during exercise maybe -- but I'd be hard to convince
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    They add lots of stuff besides caffeine and sugar ( such as ephedrine, guarana) that can have effects on your heart, blood pressure and react with medications. There are also things that we really don't have research on how much is too much. I think there are better ways to get an energy boost. If you are gonna drink them, watch the ingredients and drink in moderation and don't drink before or after working out because they are dehydrating and will increase heart rate.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    They add lots of stuff besides caffeine and sugar ( such as ephedrine, guarana) that can have effects on your heart, blood pressure and react with medications. There are also things that we really don't have research on how much is too much. I think there are better ways to get an energy boost. If you are gonna drink them, watch the ingredients and drink in moderation and don't drink before or after working out because they are dehydrating and will increase heart rate.
    Ephedrine is illegal in the US I thought.
  • penroseg
    penroseg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I occasionally drink the 5 hour energy drinks. Usually I'll only drink about half of it and that gives me a boost. I've asked a few pretty knowledgeable people, and they said there's no concern with that one.
  • jennifer52484
    Options
    I like the 5 hour energy. and usually half will do the trick. but the 16 oz cans of energy drinks will last me throughout the day usually. i open it at lunch and finish it by 5pm. Keeps me kicking at work. I also don't have an issue with consuming splenda and "diet" foods. To each their own.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    none at all, I have a very fast heart rate and if I take energy drinks I pass out :/
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Ephedra alkoloids are illegal but you will still see some with ephedrine. There are other herbal ingredients that have similar effects. Just saying, read your labels
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I used to be addicted to lo-carb Monster and then I discovered NO CARB NO CALORIE Monster and was readdicted.

I had to stop drinking them because I started having extreme panic attacks, heart palpitations, and my BP went up.

Do I blame the drinks? No, I was under a heck of a lot of stress at the time, I just stopped them because caffeine in general causes panic attacks. Ironically at the same time I found out I had a gluten intolerance. I haven't had an energy drink in a while, but I wouldn't be afraid to drink another one and see what happens. If it causes those three things to happen again... I probably won't drink them anymore. Eventually they will come out with a study saying they are bad for us, as they do with everything else we consume.

Drink away! :drinker:
  • TiffanyDawn79
    TiffanyDawn79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love them. I have a pink Rockstar everyday and have never had a problem.
  • jennifer52484
    Options

Ephedra alkoloids are illegal but you will still see some with ephedrine. There are other herbal ingredients that have similar effects. Just saying, read your labels

Oh of course. I don't think i've bought anything since June without looking at the label. I feel that is the only way I can be successful.
    The way I look at an energy drink when i read the label is , its like coffee, but better tasting and with added vitamins and a bit more caffeine. I only drink the sugar free or locarb so I don't have to worry about carb intake.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I love sugar free Nos. I drink one every work morning because I'm not a morning person and I have to be there at 5:30 am. I also drink tons of water and have a relatively clean diet. There are concerns to take into consideration such as your age, if you have high blood pressure or heart problems, how much you drink, ect. Seeing that you only drink them a few times a week and barring any health related issues, I think you'll be alright as long as you keep your water intake up to flush out your system.