Help...NEED Parental Help ASAP

Options
Hi everyone....I know this has nothing to do with dieting but....

My Husband is gone this weekend and I just overheard my daughter on the telephone (since we share a home phone) . We have built a little guest house out front for basically for the kids to go to the nearby community JR college until they transfer.

She is 19 (turned last March) We try to give her freedom but she is our Wild Child! I heard her girl friend tell/ask her to go to the clubs tonight with a fake ID. I'm not sure if my daughter has one or is having one made or what but she is a very strong personality, stronger than me (I dont' let her know.) I heard her tell her friend she wasnt sure she could go b/c her boy friend would ask questions yada yada yada. So I thought OMG what should I do? Husband is gone and it's up to me. Well, I just called her on my cell & said "what every your thinking of doing tonight don't do it"...you could go to jail". She was so mad that I was listening in but....something told me to listen & I'm glad I did. She got smart with me so I told her if I hear any disrespect I'll have her phone cell phone disconnected.

I don't know what else I can do? I can only threaten. People say...you should kick out your kids well....I say that makes it worse for everyone. I'm scared right now b/c I dont' want her to drink & drive or drive her girl friend with her that's older. My daughter has the car & her friend doesnt. We are so strict but that doesn't stop her. I wonder if we watch to much over her? She can't get away with anything b/c I'm the detective in the family (since I was little). I have a sense about that stuff & you can't pull the wool over my eyes much. Been there & done (some) that. tongue

Any help from any of you more experienced parents would be so appreciated. I hate this part of being a parent. I'm a Libra & she's an Aries if that matters at all.

I'm Husbandless today & I rely on him since he can handle her better than I. I just make matters worse it seems by pushing the wrong buttons.

Any Help would be wonderful! I feel I can't even leave to enjoy my weekend without Hubby & son b/c I'm here babysitting. Maybe I'll just lock the big house & leave & not think about it?sad sad sad
:sad:

Replies

• VardaElentari
    Options
    At 19, she is legally an adult. You cannot be held responsible for something she does wrong. I understand you don't want to see her get in trouble, but she is of age to make her own choices and without making mistakes, she will never learn.
  • a_new_mii
    a_new_mii Posts: 53
    Options
    I understand, what you're going through. As a step-mom to two juvenile delinquents whom I rarely see eye to eye (but love deeply), I've been in similar situations.
    I hate to say it, but you've already done the most you can do. She is an adult, after all. You expressed your knowledge of the situation, concern, and warned her of the consequences. She wasn't hell bent on going in the first place, but it's hard to say what she'll do now that she's mad about the phone call.
    If I were you, write her a note and slip it under her door.
    Tell her that your Mother's intuition drove you to pick up the receiver, and that your bad feeling wasn't without cause.
    Tell her how much you love her, and no matter how old she is, you will always feel compelled to protect her. As her Mom, that's your job.
    Remind her, kindly that even though she is an adult, it's still illegal to drink. It's a major offence to use a false ID and it could derail her life plans should she get caught. Remind her that Drinking and driving is deadly and there is nothing worse than losing a child.
    Don't write it out of anger, write it out of love. Then lock the big house and get away for a while.
    She has to make her own desicions.

Hang in there-
    Theresa
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    As a non-parent but a person who has seen her brother in and out of prison for over 20 years; do what you have to do to reign her in. Let her know that you love her but she has to follow certain rules not because you are being hard but because life itself will bring you to your knees if you don't act with a certain amount of discretion and common sense. You do have to give them room to breathe and exert control over their own lives; however; if you can keep her out of trouble do it. I know how much I have suffered having a brother and a sister who act with disregard to moral standards, I know my parents have suffered even more.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I say tell her if she wants to live by her own rules she certainly can, just not while living your house. As long as she's under your roof, you make the rules. Once she is financially on her own, she can consider herself an adult. The fact is that adults pay their own bills. I'd say she can choose to totally be an adult if she wants to. If you are paying her bills, she's not really an adult. Tell her the simple truth is that you can't control her every move, but you don't want her doing something illegal. If she chooses to do illegal things while living with you, that's not acceptable to you and she doesn't get to continue getting your support. As long as you continue to support her even when she's making poor choices (you said she's your "wild child" so I'm only assuming there have been other poor choices) then really you are as much a part of the problem as she is. Good luck, parenting can be tough, I know! Deep down we usually know what we need to do though.:flowerforyou:
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    Well I have to discuss all this later...Cus she just got in a CAR ACCIDENT
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    this is a good moment to reassure her that you love her, want for her what will enhance her life, and are fearful of bad consequences.

since she got in a wreck, you could point out that if that wreck happened after anyone had been drinking, when the cops arrived, not only is there a smashed car to deal with, but many other problems get added to the mix- arrests, DUI, who knows how much in fines, all kinds of horrible repercussions. try not to preach, just inform. and repeat how glad you are that she is okay (I am assuming she is, I truuly hope so). cars can be fixed way more easily than people.

hopefully you can use this to get through to her. best wishes:flowerforyou:
  • delliponti
    Options
    :ohwell: HI. everyone will have their opinion, my folks Said MY house My rules . be strong but endering, NO phone sounds good, Nick
  • 1Sweets
    Options
    Well I'm back from assisting in the Car Accident. Yes she was all right...Thank God! I gave her a hug & then she said she was "So Sorry" that it wasn't her fault and it may have not been but this isn't the first so I expect she'll loose her license if they find her at fault. Accidents are 2 points so......she already has some points now.

Anyway, While we were waiting for the report to be written up I tried to finish the "alleged" possiblity they "if" she does plan to go out.......Then..... she started being crabby saying...."I'm mad at her for something she hasn't even done" well that's b/c I caught her in the planning mode. Geeeez...and I tried to finish my conversation of the concerned parent but she's always talking while I'm trying to talk so I tried to finish up with ...."if you need a ride tonite let me know" &then her friends picked her up and off she went. Luckily nobody was hurt....again. I have my hands full with this child. ::sick:

If we can just keep her alive & well for a few more years till she takes off riding the bicycle on her own I will be so relieved....I pray to God it will be soon b/c this is going on it's 4 or 5th year of "acting out" & I think my food habits are from some of it. I eat out of stress.:sad:

Thank you for all your good advice you guys are the best & you say it so well. I feel so helpless today without my Hubby. I do find myself "texting" her instead of talking b/c she can't argue or talk over my voice. Maybe I'll text her what you all wrote this evening when the partying starts:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • 1Sweets
    Options
    I say tell her if she wants to live by her own rules she certainly can, just not while living your house. As long as she's under your roof, you make the rules. Once she is financially on her own, she can consider herself an adult. The fact is that adults pay their own bills. I'd say she can choose to totally be an adult if she wants to. If you are paying her bills, she's not really an adult. Tell her the simple truth is that you can't control her every move, but you don't want her doing something illegal. If she chooses to do illegal things while living with you, that's not acceptable to you and she doesn't get to continue getting your support. As long as you continue to support her even when she's making poor choices (you said she's your "wild child" so I'm only assuming there have been other poor choices) then really you are as much a part of the problem as she is. Good luck, parenting can be tough, I know! Deep down we usually know what we need to do though.:flowerforyou:

Yes...now days if you tell your kids "my way or the highway" like my parents did to me then....you almost are asking for worse things to happen. It's so expensive to live anymore, people are moving back in with their parents let alone teens. Where are teenagers to go? We have stuggled with this same question for years. Our other children are well adjusted & don't know what happened to this one...she use to be Honor student up until 10th grade then BAM she changed. She's always been independent...the over achiever: ballet, classical piano, honor student. Well ....guess she doesn't want to be the good child anymore. Tried counseling etc. We are waiting for her to grow up like we all do some sooner than later. She's in college & doing well just very much in a hurry & wanting to do the college scene with the other kids. We can only steer them & direct them but can't be with them every minute. So I don't know how I'm the problem but if I am I would like to what I'm doing wrong.
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    She is an adult, I'm sure in her mind she can do whatever she wants. Don't let her walk all over you. Right now you should worry about her getting out if she is going to break the law and not have any respect for you. She's 19 and is going to make mistakes whether you try to prevent them or not; where she lives ( with you or not ) isn't going to change that.

p.s. this is coming from a reformed "wild child" .
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I think I'd be talking to her more about 'breaking the law' in general and less about the specifics of going clubbing with a fake ID. She isn't showing much respect for the rules (home, road, etc.) and if she doesn't understand why they are in place, she could end up in a very bad way.

I told/tell my children that we obey the laws because they are in place to keep us safe. If you disagree with a law, don't just break it, go do something about changing it. Vote, start petitions, get active politically, make things happen. But the consequences of breaking laws often means loss of freedom and money and health. Preach, mom. A little bit of what you say might get through. My SD25 and S21 made it to adulthood without getting in any trouble, and I have hopes for D13.

PS: Also a reformed "wild child" myself.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

So I don't know how I'm the problem but if I am I would like to what I'm doing wrong.
    [/quote]

I'm sorry, that probably sounded pretty harsh, which probably wasn't fair. I do realize what a tough choice it can be to set clear boundaries for an adult child. I just really believe in the philosophy that we teach people how to treat us, and if I was living with something that really wasn't okay with me, I'd want to confront it and work out the relationship so it worked for me too. I'd feel that way no matter what age she was. The way she's acting seems disrespectful to me because it causes you so much stress and worry. Maybe our parents' knew more than we thought.
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    I'm saying this as a young women who grew up with strict parents...before I was an adult. My parents were strict and hard on me ALL the time and I took it out on myself by cutting, going into weird deppresion modes, starting lieing more, grew very far apart from my parents...AND TO THIS DAY, I REMEMBER HAVING NO BAD INTENTIONS, AND BLAME THEM FOR NOT LETTING ME HAVE A CHILD HOOD. Yes, I feel as though I had NO childhood, I feel I missed out on SOOO much. My brothers got to do so much more than me and it pissed me off VERY much. Now that I have gotten married and moved out (right when I turned 18 of course) and have a baby now...I can't even go back and get that childhood especially with all my new responsibilities! I'm not trying to be harsh, it just sticks me in a certain spot...BUT, she is 19!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know your daughter appreciates being able to live with you, but she is an adult and she will only be 19 once. She knows you love her, she knows the dangers of her actions, she knows what morals you have as a mother. The knowledge you gave her while raising her is a big part of who she is, and when it all comes down to it she is going to know what is right or wrong. You can't control her anymore becuase she's going to do what she wants to do...And about the phone issue, I would have hung up RIGHT AWAY. I wouldn't have stayed on the phone long enough to here what the conversation was about. I know it's very, very temping, but it causes problems. For instance, when I was 12 my parents raided my backpack without me knowing and found a note from my friend pretty much making my parents think that I had sex AT TWELVE....since I was 12 I was too shy and embarrassed about it to say that I didn't do it. But, I was grounded the whole summer and after that they must have thought I was some kind of slut. Also, I was on a really good diet when I was 16 and lost quit a bit of weight and my mom finally got to the point where she said OKAY, are you on drugs? Ummm....thanks for the encouragemnt, but no. They didn't see me all day....I ate healthy and would walk before school started and at my lunch break after eating....so what did they do, they got a home drug test to see if I was using any drugs which I had NEVER done so it came up negative...WELL, THE DAY AFTER THAT I FINALLY SMOKED POT WITH MY BUDDIES WHO ALWAYS ASKED IF I WANTED SOME AND ALWAYS TURNED THEM DOWN. Okay, this is becoming more of a vent than anything so all i'm saying is that she is 19...PLEASE let her live like it rather she is under your roof or not. Think back to when you were 19...you may have done some crazy things, or maybe you didn't.......but whatever you did do was a learning experience in one way or another that makes you who you are today.
  • cellorocker
    cellorocker Posts: 290
    Options
    I posted this on the other board, but I wanted to make sure you saw it-
    I know this may not help the current situation, but in the future, you could use the form provided here:

http://sadd.org/contract.htm

It's the SADD (Students Against Drunk Driving) Contract for Life.
    Any young person who signs it agrees that if they are ever in a risky situation getting a ride home, they could call their parents for a ride home, no matter what time of day, no questions asked.
    Any adult who signs it agrees that if their child ever calls for a safe ride home, no matter time of day, the parent will provide one. The adult also agrees that they themselves will never put themselves in a risky situation such as driving home drunk or riding without a seatbelt.

I signed one with my parents last year. One WEEK after I signed it, I was at a cast party for a musical I was in, and some kids from the party decided to smoke some weed. Even worse, the boy who was my ride home was smoking it too.
    I called my parents, at 2:30 in the morning, and my dad didn't say anything- except to ask where I was, and to tell me he'd be there in ten minutes.
    The next day, we discussed it in a calm manner. I felt better about the whole situation, and so did he.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    sorry slimming mom, I could not disagree more.

she does not understand the consequences of her actions at only 19. she is incapable of it, having been a child all her life, never having become an adult. crossing an arbitrary age barrier doesn't turn you into an adult, experiencing self-sufficiency is what matters. whether that happens at 18 or 25, you aren't an adult when you're still living at home with your parents.

she is living under their roof, and it is reasonable to expect her to play by their rules and respect the law. I'm not sure why you'd counsel her mother that this behavior should be ignored/accepted. to what positive end would this lead? it is her parents' job to teach her how to be a responsible adult. breaking the law and being cavalier about it is not a good example for her parents to set (which they would be doing if they just said oh well, she's going to do what she likes anyway)

you seem to be saying- oh well, she'll do whatever and it'll all turn out okay. - you don't know that to be true. DUI is a very real possibility and the risk of injury/death is also very real. add to that the use of a fake ID, and she is putting herself in danger of real, expensive, legal consequences. she is also putting the establishment she visits in jeopardy. if they serve alcohol to a minor child, they run the risk of losing their liquor license, which harms the business and all those employed by that business.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi...just want to add my little tidbit........

who's name is the car registered in?? who pays the insurance??
    if it's you and DH........no car for her....
    she's 19...she's gonna make mistakes. at this age, it's the big girl jail
    if she really screws up. My 23y son just got hooked for DUI last Fri nite..
    knew better than to call us to bail him out......wasn't gonna happen.
    he sat in a cell for 4 days before he could see the judge....oh well. live
    and learn.

stop texting...........:explode: big pet peeve of mine!! communicate with
    your child.........your still a parent even without DH around......

hope you can both work this out

btw, last week i worked a traffic collision scene where a young mother and
    2 of her children were killed because of a drunk driver. what that young driver
    did will not only affect him, but his family and the victims family for life

Pam :flowerforyou:
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I don't think taking things away from her will help.

The more you yell, the more you accuse, the more you eavesdrop, the more you ground, the more you take things away...well...it'll just push her away. That's the honest truth. She's at the age where she's going to be rebellious and think she can do and get away with anything. She's prob not going see that you're doing all these things to protect her and bc you love her. She'll most likely just get angry and give you attitude or crabbiness.

Yea, she does need discipline (even at the age of 19) and yea, you are the person in charge of the car, the insurance, the phone, etc etc but do you honestly think that will actually help? It might stop her for a short time bc you took the car and the phone away, but like everyone said, she IS 19, she has a bf and friends who I'm sure will help her. She can pretty much do whatever she wants.

Your goal should be to bond with her and to show her you're there for her and care about her...and not to make her angry and be one of those parents that force their children not to do something and then end up with a bigger problem on their hands. I think she already knows what she did and was going to do was wrong. I agree with sitting her down and talking about breaking the law, but I highly doubt she'll really care or think much about it. That's just usually what some kids do.

Do you have mother daughter time? Maybe you and her should go out to eat once a week or go shopping or even to the movies. Show her you love her and tell her you love her. Stop lecturing..instead, just talk..or how about listen? She knows wrong from right, just make sure she knows that you really are there for her and that she can come to you with any situation.

If she doesn't want to here it, then find someone who CAN bond and talk about these issues with her. Does she have any older cousins that might be able to help or do any of your friends have older children? I know teenagers usually listen to everyone else BUT their parents. It's sad, but as long as someone is getting thru to her, that's all that matters.

Good luck!
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    sorry slimming mom, I could not disagree more.

she does not understand the consequences of her actions at only 19. she is incapable of it, having been a child all her life, never having become an adult. crossing an arbitrary age barrier doesn't turn you into an adult, experiencing self-sufficiency is what matters. whether that happens at 18 or 25, you aren't an adult when you're still living at home with your parents.

she is living under their roof, and it is reasonable to expect her to play by their rules and respect the law. I'm not sure why you'd counsel her mother that this behavior should be ignored/accepted. to what positive end would this lead? it is her parents' job to teach her how to be a responsible adult. breaking the law and being cavalier about it is not a good example for her parents to set (which they would be doing if they just said oh well, she's going to do what she likes anyway)

you seem to be saying- oh well, she'll do whatever and it'll all turn out okay. - you don't know that to be true. DUI is a very real possibility and the risk of injury/death is also very real. add to that the use of a fake ID, and she is putting herself in danger of real, expensive, legal consequences. she is also putting the establishment she visits in jeopardy. if they serve alcohol to a minor child, they run the risk of losing their liquor license, which harms the business and all those employed by that business.

I'm sorry but I could not disagree with YOU more and I take high offense to the fact that you believe a 19 year old is incapable of understanding the consequences of her actions. I am 19. I understand the consequences of my actions. I lived with my parents until I went away to college and college still isn't the "real world" Just because someone doesn't have bills to pay (I do have some bills to pay but not all) doesn't mean that they don't know or don't understand the real world and the way things work.
    You're right, it is reasonable for them to expect her to play by their rules but in most cases just playing the cliche parenting card of "because I said so" doesn't work. Normally that instigates a child into rebellion. Now explanation of the rules and why those rules are in place provides for a much better outcome. But at 19 you may have already created a problem if you've had a strict "because I said so" style of parenting the child's entire life.
    Now I've always been a "good kid" mostly because my parents were always open and honest with me and I knew that if I did [insert bad behavior here] there were consequences to my actions. There were life consequences, legal consequences and then parental consequences on top of that. My parents know I go to the normal college parties and they trust that I am responsible to either A) Not drink B)Have a designated driver or C)Know that I can stay at the house the party is at for however long I need to.
    There are safe ways to have the college fun. Show her those ways. Maybe introduce her to a different crowd. You said she was doing well in school. That's an accomplishment in itself in college these days. Ease her into paying for things on her own. Make her get a job to show her responsibility and start off by making her pay her share of the cell phone bill and then gradually increase her monetary responsibilities. There are positive ways to negotiate with her that will teach her to be a better person. It doesn't always have to be "my house my rules" Throwing a teenager out on the street only causes more problems.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    what I said- before you got all twisted- is that the 19 year old being discussed doesn't understand the consequences of her actions. this has been demonstrated by the actions she has taken. tattooing on her boyfriends's name, crashing her car, staying out all night, disrespecting the parents who provide her lifestyle to her- these aren't adult behaviors.

when you have experienced more of life, you have a greater perspective from which to offer advice to others. I have been the mother of rebellious teenagers, and can give the advice I have learned to others, when they ask for it.

whether it makes you mad or not, the 19 year old in question is most definitely a child. she proves this again and again in the actions her mother describes. and it is time for her parents to teach her to be an adult, with repercussions for her actions. whether she throws a child-like tantrum or not.

relax- I'm sure you believe you are the most responsible and adult 19 year old ever. But I was offering parental advice to the mom who asked for it, not addressing you or your levels of adulthood.
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree with you more. You explained it very well.
    But...I can also see what LuckyLeprechaun is saying.
    I honestly DO think the 19 year old does understand the consequences...she just doesn't care. Yes, she is acting immature and def needs more parenting, and she def does need to learn to be an adult especially since she's 19 now... I think fatty78 gave some good advice on how to help the girl ease into adulthood.

Her mom needs to talk this stuff through with her daughter in a rational way of course.

Don't pull out anger and aggression, just talk with her calmly about what she has actually done. I don't agree with yelling bc kids just rebel when parents are too autocratic.
    It really is common sense. The more you push the "because I said so" thing, the more the girl will rebel. End of story.