Rant: It's Week 4

Options
13»

Replies

• SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    You are incredibly over in sodium everyday. You are probably bloated all the time, which will make it so you arent seeing results in the scale or the clothing. I struggle with this too (especially the last couple weeks), but it DOES make a HUGE impact!!
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    Hey love I looked at you diary just for today....but i can tell you from just glancing you are way high on the carbs and real low on protein..First try switching that (you can change that in MFP). Secondly, take you caloric intake down to 1,200 not 1500. You can take it back to 1500-1700 once you get to a mainenace weight and/or start lifting.

I do NOT recommend a 1,200 calorie diet. I can tell you from experience 'less' is not better. I gained 10 pounds last year eating 1,200 calories. I eat in the 2,000-2,400 calorie range now, plus weight train and exercise, and am seeing MUCH better results.
  • ken4luvonly
    Options
    Hey love I looked at you diary just for today....but i can tell you from just glancing you are way high on the carbs and real low on protein..First try switching that (you can change that in MFP). Secondly, take you caloric intake down to 1,200 not 1500. You can take it back to 1500-1700 once you get to a mainenace weight and/or start lifting.

I do NOT recommend a 1,200 calorie diet. I can tell you from experience 'less' is not better. I gained 10 pounds last year eating 1,200 calories. I eat in the 2,000-2,400 calorie range now, plus weight train and exercise, and am seeing MUCH better results.

Bottomline we can give her all the advise in the world she has to figure what is best for her body and body type for me 1200 calories a day, not eating back exercise calories, 6days a week in the gym burning monday 500, tuesday 700, wednesday 900 thursday 1100, Friday Zumba, Saturday Fun day.....has gotten me a 43lb lost in 5 months...But, I say again she has to experiment and find what works for her.....I will say I am starting to move my calories eaten up some...as I get close to maintenace weight cause I am going to lift more...BUT right now I do cadio, cadio, cadio, cadio....strength training 3 days a week....LOVE find what your body needs and make it WORK!!!
  • ellesoul
    ellesoul Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    ken4luvonly:

the granola bar and cheese only happened today because I was running late for work and didn't get a chace to grab my usual fruits and lunch stuff...

i don't want to go to 1200 calories because even at my goal weight 1200 is way low, plus im struggling now with 1500

i also avg around 12+ cups a water a day

I agree that i have too many carbs, and earlier i changed my goals/settings so i can aim for better levels

aimssc
    I adjusted my sodium levels as well and hopefully will consume less and be under the goal

thanks again for the feedback everyone
  • SeasideOasis
    Options

Bottomline we can give her all the advise in the world she has to figure what is best for her body and body type for me 1200 calories a day, not eating back exercise calories, 6days a week in the gym burning monday 500, tuesday 700, wednesday 900 thursday 1100, Friday Zumba, Saturday Fun day.....has gotten me a 43lb lost in 5 months...But, I say again she has to experiment and find what works for her.....I will say I am starting to move my calories eaten up some...as I get close to maintenace weight cause I am going to lift more...BUT right now I do cadio, cadio, cadio, cadio....strength training 3 days a week....LOVE find what your body needs and make it WORK!!!

I was just stating that telling someone, as you did, to drop their calories even lower when she needs to love nearly 70 pounds is a horrible idea. Depending on your starting weight, 1,200 isn't the magic number. Which is why I gave an example of how it 1,200 is not the magic know all number. If you dont eat ENOUGH, you will eventually lose weight obviously, but do EXTREME damage to your body,including muscle loss.

Instead of changing her calories, she could eat more clean when she can. She should also up her strength training, as there is a butt load of evidence how metabolic rate and muscle mass versus just hours of cardio.

Ellesoul-
    I know I struggle with being busy and not being able to have all the time in the world to cook (I recently had a death in the family, so my diary looks like hell for the last two weeks - However, my normal eating is coming back this week!!). However, a small amount of prep and know how will greatly help.

What I have found, food wise, to be helpful for quick and easy foods include things like frozen veggies and steamer bags (I prefer Green Giant and they flash freeze so they dont lose all that amazing nutrients). The sodium content is also not bad at all. I like to marinade chicken (go for low sodium options, like Kens Healthy Choice Italian Dressing) for a day or so, then toss it in the oven to bake. Very easy, relatively quick, as you dont have to do much and SO good for you. Fresh is always the best, but sometimes, you just dont have the time and this helps (Plus, frozen doesnt spoil in a day or two like fresh can).
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    The two things I see that haven't already been explicitly brought up yet....

1) You have quite a few days that seem incomplete.......Try to track absolutely everything.....Even if it's not good......If you eat out and have to estimate......always estimate high......Always better to be a little high than low on cals.....esp when you have been eating back all the exercise cals....

2) It appears there are many times you are estimating food if you eat out......try to estimate high if you aren't sure. The following things jumped out at me from your diary over the past couple weeks. These all seem low

garlic knot - 61 cal
    Sushi - California Roll - 6pcs - 153 cal
    Banana Bread - 1/2 slice - 60 cal
    Chipotle burrito bowl - 585 cal

ken4luvonly:

the granola bar and cheese only happened today because I was running late for work and didn't get a chace to grab my usual fruits and lunch stuff...

i don't want to go to 1200 calories because even at my goal weight 1200 is way low, plus im struggling now with 1500

i also avg around 12+ cups a water a day

I agree that i have too many carbs, and earlier i changed my goals/settings so i can aim for better levels

aimssc
    I adjusted my sodium levels as well and hopefully will consume less and be under the goal

thanks again for the feedback everyone
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    maybe it's the carbs and junk... i try my best to eat healthy but I guess it's not enough

my workouts outs are pretty intense as it is... for eg. my elliptical workouts are on resistance 12-18... never less unless im warming up or cooling down...

and mentally I can't do the same workout everyday...

I'll try upping meats/vegetables...

Our cultural way of thinking "healthy" is still usually pretty unhealthy. People think granola bars, for example, are a health food but as someone mentioned most of them are really carby sugary junk. It's not your fault.........just do more homework on what you are putting in. I actually consulted with a nutritionist and got excellent insight as to how to fuel my body so I'm cutting calories without going hungry and still keeping my body fueled for work outs.
  • kmozymoz
    kmozymoz Posts: 187
    Options
    maybe it's the carbs and junk... i try my best to eat healthy but I guess it's not enough

my workouts outs are pretty intense as it is... for eg. my elliptical workouts are on resistance 12-18... never less unless im warming up or cooling down...

and mentally I can't do the same workout everyday...

I'll try upping meats/vegetables...

You might try intervals more than just high resistance. If your muscles get used to a certain type of workout, it'll stall your weight loss. Try changing things up, increasing the speed and decreasing resistance, going at 5 minutes on one speed and resistance and switching to another for 10 minutes, etc.