Wrong Bra Size ladies?

Options

Replies

• Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Where is all the proof of this happening, I need to see some evidence! :wink:

Sorry, all we've got in anecdotal evidence. As far as I know, there has not yet been a peer reviewed study done on the wrongness of VS bra sizing. I guess it must not be true!
  • GellisIndigo
    GellisIndigo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Along the same vein, to you ladies with the larger assets (band and cup size), where do you find sports bras that fit? I'm having a heckuva time.:grumble:
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Along the same vein, to you ladies with the larger assets (band and cup size), where do you find sports bras that fit? I'm having a heckuva time.:grumble:

I just wear 2...
  • tinyjourney
    tinyjourney Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Bra fitting is my hobby. It is something I love to do because it really transforms a woman when she finds the right size. I'd never EVER send a woman to VS for a bra. There are much better options, that come in a variety of sizes that do not stop in a DD and come below a 32 band.

This is the best calculator I have found, but it is still a starting point not a 100% set size.
    http://www.sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm
    Check out this post about fitting, it shows how the old method of sizing is a waste of your time and money.
    http://www.catwalkqueen.tv/2012/03/why_the_plus_fo.html
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options

I love my Freya sports bras. i buy them online, from Bravissimo.
  • tinyjourney
    Options

Freya, Panache, Enell, Royce, Shock Abosber, Moving Comfort. They are everywhere if you know where to look. Just google your band and cupsize, and compression/encapsulation sports bra and you'll find options.
  • bane0317
    bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I actually like the Genie Bras. They fit like a sports bra without squashing you flat. I can get decent cleavage and a nice round shape. They never have slipping shoulder straps and can double as a cami at the neckline when i wear something lower cut. They don't accentuate back-fat and will change as I lose weight. The bonus is that when you wash and dry them they tighten up a bit so you can get extra umphf in the cleavage area! I got mine off of QVC (6 for ~ $75). Better than Wally World.

No, I don't work for them or get paid to say this!
  • tinyjourney
    Options

Sorry, all we've got in anecdotal evidence. As far as I know, there has not yet been a peer reviewed study done on the wrongness of VS bra sizing. I guess it must not be true!

There is some coming out now.
    http://www.tomima.com/2012/03/13/do-women-really-know-how-a-bra-should-fit/
    http://busts4justice.com/2012/03/10/i-hate-victorias-secret/

They have tried to put me in a 36 band. I wear a 28. What ever they have in the store, they'll try and sell you. :(
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I always wear sports bras.

I was once fitted by Nordstrom and they said I was like 36 C. I thought I was a B.
  • privatetime
    Options

They have tried to put me in a 36 band. I wear a 28. What ever they have in the store, they'll try and sell you. :(

Thamks for the links! I don't hate VS. I just wish they, and others, would stop perpetuating the notion all women ave busts 1-4" bigger than their ribs.
  • privatetime
    Options
    I always wear sports bras.

I was once fitted by Nordstrom and they said I was like 36 C. I thought I was a B.

Proper fit often means women have a smaller band size than they think, and a bigger cup size.

My friend once told me she was a 36B. Knowing how tiny she was, I knew this coudn't possibly be accurate. So, I convinced her to let me fit her.

She excitedly told everyone that she is actually a 28C (the "C" cup being the most important "change"). She looks a lot better in clothes, and is finally giving her breasts adequate support.
  • RobynC_88
    RobynC_88 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your band size is the distance around your ribs, just under your bust.

When you measure the fullest part around your bust, subtract the band measurement from that number, to find your cup size. 1" difference is an A cup. 2" = B. 3" = C. 4" = D. 5" = E. 6" = F. 7" = G. 8" = H...and so on.

If I measure myself that way, I'm a 40E, which is fairly accurate I'm guessing- at my last fitting I was 42D-DD.
    Here's the website that I use to get my size and it's pretty accurate for me.

http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php

If I use this website, I'm a 44DD. I've triple checked to make sure I've put the right measurements in the right fields, but why are they using my bust measurement (45) as the band size?
  • texancountess
    Options

Thamks for the links! I don't hate VS. I just wish they, and others, would stop perpetuating the notion all women ave busts 1-4" bigger than their ribs.

Careful with the links. They lead to websites that are just as bad as VS as far as measuring guides go. They'd end up with me at a 34B which I know is not even close to right.
  • tinyjourney
    Options
    Careful with the links. They lead to websites that are just as bad as VS as far as measuring guides go. They'd end up with me at a 34B which I know is not even close to right.

Those links are for blog posts showing examples of bad fits from VS, the evidence asked for. They were not intended for anyone to use for fitting, nor was that ever stated. Please don't take more from the post then what was intended.

Fit is very individual! You can read every fit guide you want, but it still comes down to trying on bras and finding what works for you.
  • texancountess
    Options

Those links are for blog posts showing examples of bad fits from VS, the evidence asked for. They were not intended for anyone to use for fitting, nor was that ever stated. Please don't take more from the post then what was intended.

Fit is very individual! You can read every fit guide you want, but it still comes down to trying on bras and finding what works for you.

And I was just warning anyone who clicked through and saw the bras recommended by the same people discounting VS that they might be disappointed. I didn't read more into it than was intended. I clicked through to see the bad examples, saw the "good" ones and then was disappointed that they use an inaccurate fit measurement system. And since it's a free world, I figured I'd post a warning for anyone else thinking these sites would have better bras.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I was a 36B. Well I got my boobs done (after breastfeeding 6 kids, I deserved it) anyway, I had the lady at Dillards size me...34DDD. What this means...all these years, I had been wearing a 36B, it was probably the wrong band size the whole time. I should have been wearing a 34B!

AND, I teach Zumba and you would be surprised at how many women do NOT protect their boobs with the right size bras. I can tell because those girls are bouncing EVERY WHERE!! A correct fitting sports bra (band size and cup size) will hold those boobs in nice and tightly!!

oh my a good sports bra is one thing all women need. I see ladies in class with them flopping everywhere it looks seriously painful! I get maxium support. I can weight the light support ones for yoga or simple pilates or weights, but for fitness classes and running I need that support.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Brands I like are underarmour and champion.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    For my graduation present, my sisters mother in law got me a dress and REAL bras. I was fitted.

I was wearing 36cs

My correct size?

I almost had a freaking HEART ATTACK

36 DDD :embarassed:
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    same thing happened here. I was wearing 36 C's for a long time but they started to fit weird. I went to VS to get measured and turns out i'm a 36D!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I realized I was wearing the wrong bra size when my boob was getting cut off by the cup, but every time I get fitted, they say I am a DD... And I really don't think I am. I'm never tried a 34 DD though, maybe I will one day.