Can to much protein cause a headache?

Options
I increased my protein today...now I have a headache that won't go away. Is there a correlation?

Replies

• McKristy
    McKristy Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm far from a doctor, but that's not anything I've heard of before. If you were limiting it, or ridding of carbs sure, this I haven't heard of.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I think dehyation can cause headaches, are you drinking enough water?
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about it either. I have had days hitting 110-140g without issue. How much did you go over?
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    too much beer can...This i know!! As for protein, never had an issue here
  • nic_ci
    nic_ci Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm not limiting carbs.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Have you tried ruling out every other possible reason for the headache, for example over-exertion or stress?
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Could it be that you've drastically reduced your carb intake while upping your protein? Carb withdrawal will cause headaches for some people, but after four to five days it'll clear up.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this before and I'm a frequent migraine go-er...
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that "too" much protein causes a headache, but what it usually is for me is 'lack of calorie' or a, 'lack of caffeine' headache. Cutting back on calories can bring on what's otherwise known as 'starvation mode', which is where the body says, "uh oh", I'm not eating as much as I used to and goes into strict storage mode -- e.g. taking in what you do eat and stores as fat. If prolonged, this can bring on constipation, lethargy, etc. The headache can be a tell-tale sign this is happening.

The key is exercise calories and exercising enough to where you don't have to "starve yourself" to meet your daily calorie allowance. If and when you can't exercise, it's wise to even go over on calories, vs. going into starvation mode with all of its negative side effects.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Try drinking more water. I have noticed on days I get more protein I also am extra thirsty. For some reason all that protein dries me out! In fact, I'm thirsty now... :bigsmile:
  • TamsinEllis
    TamsinEllis Posts: 293
    Options
    I doubt eating more protein today then you are used to has caused your headache, however if it persists go see your doctor because you might (and i say might it's very rare) have ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/9013566/The-man-who-nearly-died-on-the-Dukan-diet.html

Don't worry about it though, I highly doubt protein gave you a headache, just take some aspirin and don't stare at the computer screen.
  • sloaneashley
    Options
    I know it can cause Kidney Stones, so be careful, That was a worse pain than childbirth for me , as for headaches have you cut caffene or sugar alot suddenly , if so that will do it:(
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    i get headaches when i go too long without eating or if i've had a really low protein day. not sure about too much. anything else change today? caffeine? etc?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It definitely does for me. Google it, and you'll see it has that effect on lots of people!
  • nic_ci
    nic_ci Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Answers to a few questions:
    I am not starving myself...I have drank 10 cups ( 5 bottles) of water so far today...that's about where I normally am this time of day...I have not over exerted myself...my headache won't go away so I can exercise...I said it earlier...but I am not limiting mg carbs...and no I haven't had any beer!
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this before! I always get headaches and its defo not from too much protein :laugh: (i hardly have proteins) I think its more to do with fluids.. Less water = headachesssss, more water = no headache :smile:
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    have you lowered your caffine intake? Hard cheeses can cause migrains in some. There are lots of triggers, maybe try and change the protein you are eating, not necessarily the amount you are eating. And like others have said, make sure you drink plenty of water
  • bdebruine
    Options
    Too much protien (as a ratio to fat and carbs) can cause headaches. Research "rabbit starvation" and Ketogenic diets for more information on how to balance protein with fat.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think dehyation can cause headaches, are you drinking enough water?

^^^^ this
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It's probably not related, unless you notice the same thing happening consistently. How much did you increase your protein, and from what sources? Just from personal experience, sometimes soy products give me wicked headaches.