Do you have to eat back exercise calories?

Options
I burn around 300cals a day from exercise, mainly cardio with v sits and pushups, but I always feel weird if I get told to eat back the calories I lost. As if it's pointless? I don't really know much about the scientific aspects of this, but any advice?

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I burn around 300cals a day from exercise, mainly cardio with v sits and pushups, but I always feel weird if I get told to eat back the calories I lost. As if it's pointless? I don't really know much about the scientific aspects of this, but any advice?
    YES!
  • imprezzadude
    Options
    For me i just try to have around a 300-500 calorie deficit per day. I figure im getting closer to my goal that way lol!
  • lizziegrace10
    Options
    Okay, thankyou! So, I'm eating about 1000cals per day at the moment, struggle to eat more! MFP says I should be eating 1350, so is what I'm eating not so bad? haha if that makes sense!
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. If you hit a plateau, then make some changes. I usually switch mine up every 2 weeks or so where I eat a low calorie diet for awhile and have deficits, then go back to eating my exercise calories again.

The only thing I would recommend is when it comes to the calories you actually eat, you should not go under 1200 calories. That is the minimum a woman needs a day. My coworker was consistenly doing it and making herself sick. If you don't feel 100%, you won't try to do other things like working out over time. If I'm more then a small amount below 1200, I find something high calorie to eat like cashews.
  • lizziegrace10
    Options
    Whatever works for you. If you hit a plateau, then make some changes. I usually switch mine up every 2 weeks or so where I eat a low calorie diet for awhile and have deficits, then go back to eating my exercise calories again.

The only thing I would recommend is when it comes to the calories you actually eat, you should not go under 1200 calories. That is the minimum a woman needs a day. My coworker was consistenly doing it and making herself sick. If you don't feel 100%, you won't try to do other things like working out over time. If I'm more then a small amount below 1200, I find something high calorie to eat like cashews.

Thank you! That sounds like good advice, I'll see how I go for a few weeks. I do struggle to eat more than 1200, but I'm getting better haha!
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Okay, thankyou! So, I'm eating about 1000cals per day at the moment, struggle to eat more! MFP says I should be eating 1350, so is what I'm eating not so bad? haha if that makes sense!

1000 calories a day and you are asking if you should eat back your exercise calories. :noway: i think I'm hungry for you.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

This will explain it for you - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/206951-asked-my-trainer-re-eating-back-calories
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day- with my exercise routine, MFP ups me to 2918 calories a day...but I stay around 1200 calories a day.. I wouldn't be able to eat 2900 calories a day, that's far too much for me now :)