Food myths?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Here are some things I've heard about some specific foods in relation to losing weight:

1) Your body burns more calories trying to digest celery and iceberg lettuce than they actually contain, so eating them will actually cause you to lose weight.

2) Hot sauce, hot peppers, vinegar, and caffeine will help speed up your metabolism, and help you lose weight.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to the above statements? Are they completely false? If they're real, it sounds like I need to get myself a pack of celery with some franks red hot sauce, yum!

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Here are some things I've heard about some specific foods in relation to losing weight:

1) Your body burns more calories trying to digest celery and iceberg lettuce than they actually contain, so eating them will actually cause you to lose weight.

2) Hot sauce, hot peppers, vinegar, and caffeine will help speed up your metabolism, and help you lose weight.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to the above statements? Are they completely false? If they're real, it sounds like I need to get myself a pack of celery with some franks red hot sauce, yum!
  • honeybee71
    Options
    My dietitian has told me there is no medical science behind most food myths. (I have heard them both as well) Her theory is that vinegar etc will not hurt you so if you want to try it go ahead. As far a celery goes, you can actually get too much of a good thing. Just make sure you're balanced.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I don know that spicy food and caffeine do have some impact on increasing metabolism moderately. Not enough to do a lot though. However, If you like it spicy - spice it up!! Yeah - bring it on :tongue: I have found for me personally that if I eat a high calorie meal that is very spicy I never have any weight gain from it.

On a side note, I really need to get some work done today!! :laugh: My addiction to this site is overcoming my sensibility!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I agree with honeybee. I have heard, however, that the spicy food just makes you feel full longer. Don't know if that one's true either..but, everything in moderation, and it'll be all good:)
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting site that explains these theories. I looked up the celery thing on google and it seems to be a true statement. Most sites claim it to be true. Think about it, when you bite celery, it seems to be A LOT of water. But, I don't think that gives you leave to just eat 2 lbs of celery a day! LOL! But, if you are limited on calories at the end of the day and need something, I say go for it!

But, the thing to remember is that no one got overweight or obese eating vegetables of ANY kind, however moderation is still key no matter what you are consuming.

http://healthyperson.wordpress.com/2006/10/28/thermogenic-foods/