Replies

• QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Fuji.
  • janeanon1111
    janeanon1111 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am not an "apple person" but I realize their value in adding fiber and thereby helping to fill that "hunger hole." I like MacIntosh and I have 50's childhood memories of the first apple I thought worthy of eating which was a Winesap. Yum. Have not seen since. A Weight Watcher's trick is to cut up anything into "pieces" thereby giving you more of whatever. I make lots of slices of my apple and have a feast instead of just one apple!! I like the suggestion of sprinkling with cinammon and warming in micro. Must sorta taste like apple pie or a baked apple.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite things to do is slice an apple and then sprinkle cinnamon on it (bout half a teaspoon per whole apple) and then pop in in the microwave for about 15 seconds or so....it tastes really good....you can mix a little sugar with the cinnamon if you want them a little sweeter but i don't think its nessacary

This sounds good, thanks for the tip. Cinnamon has fiber, too :)
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I like anything that's red and green and on sale at Whole Foods. My new toy is a dehydrator so I've come up with a new way to eat apples. I core it and then slice so I have apple rings. Then I dip the rings in PB2. I have to pat it down so it sticks well and then tap the excess off. Then they go in the dehydrator overnight. When I wake up in the morning I have crispy peanut butter apple chips to go in my lunch bag. I can do several apples at once and I just put one apple per tray in my dehydrator so I can package them separately (and know I'm eating one apple at a time).
    That sounds delicious!

I'm a Granny Smith or McIntosh girl - I found a chocolate caramel dip that I just love but it adds too many calories to the day to have regularly :sad:

One question - what is PB2? I assume it's some sort of peanut butter?
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    fuji (with peanut butter)

Granny smith w/ peanut butter
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ambrosia!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I like anything that's red and green and on sale at Whole Foods. My new toy is a dehydrator so I've come up with a new way to eat apples. I core it and then slice so I have apple rings. Then I dip the rings in PB2. I have to pat it down so it sticks well and then tap the excess off. Then they go in the dehydrator overnight. When I wake up in the morning I have crispy peanut butter apple chips to go in my lunch bag. I can do several apples at once and I just put one apple per tray in my dehydrator so I can package them separately (and know I'm eating one apple at a time).
    That sounds delicious!

I'm a Granny Smith or McIntosh girl - I found a chocolate caramel dip that I just love but it adds too many calories to the day to have regularly :sad:

PB2 is powdered peanut butter. You just add water. They have the reg. flavor and peanut butter chocolate flavor but honestly I don't think it's very chocolate-y. Still good though.

Both have way less calories than regular peanut butters. Calories are low, sugars are low. Some say "eat regular peanut butter, it has good fats". Well good fats or not, I like my PB2 thank you very much! I bought mine in the health mart section of a local grocery store but you can buy it online too. Bell Plantations is who makes it, but amazon has it too.

PB2 Regular:
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar, and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15

(Value and % Daily Value)

Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13
    Total fat: 1.5 g 2%
    Saturated fat: 0 g 0%
    Trans fat: <0.01 g
    Cholesterol: <0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium: 94 mg 4%
    Total carbohydrates: 5 g 2%
    Dietary fiber: 2 g 8%
    Sugars: 1 g
    Protein: 5 g
    Vitamin A: <1%
    Vitamin C: 0%
    Calcium: <1%
    Iron: 0%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

PB2 Chocolate:
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15

(Value and % Daily Value)

Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 10
    Total fat: 1g 1%
    Saturated fat: 0 g 0%
    Trans fat: <0.01g
    Cholesterol: <0.01mg 0%
    Sodium: 70mg 3%
    Total carbohydrates: 6 g 2%
    Dietary fiber: 1g 8%
    Sugars: 3 g
    Protein: 4 g
    Vitamin A: <1%
    Vitamin C: 0%
    Calcium: <1%
    Iron: 2%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    i love the honey crisp! but they can be EXPENSIVE... I try to buy them at Trader Joe's, cheapest I've seen them. My 2nd fave is Pink Lady ! I keep mine in the fridge and cut them when I pack my lunch for work, they do not get brown like my red delicious ones would (I would need to drench them in lemon juice to prevent browning!) but the honey crisp and pink ladies do not brown really during the couple hours they are in my lunch box cut up.

i eat an apple practically everyday mon-fri.
  • determined136
    Options
    Honeycrisp are wonderful. They are only in season from about Sept - Dec. When they are not around I do the Pink Lady's. I like my apples crisp. When you are purchasing your apples be picky. Inspect them for any brusing and press on them...if they will indent at all that is not the apple for me.

Hope this helps!
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the Gala apples. I too like mine very crisp.... sometimes keeping them in the fridge helps keep them crisp, but I find that I should only buy a few at a time if I want to eat crisp ones. When they get soft though.... I cut them up and add them to my oatmeal!
  • shafferbrandy10
    Options
    granny smith
  • jelicaa
    jelicaa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    fuji! Can't can't enough of fuji.

keep them on the counter since I go through them so quickly, but in the warmer months I keep them in the fridge.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    Pink Lady.
  • lunarastro
    lunarastro Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you like crisp apples, one I havent seen mentioned is a Cameo apple. They are very crisp and juicy and more sweet than tart. My fave behind a Honeycrisp, Braeburns are really crunchy too- more tart than sweet. I like Pink Lady's, but they tend to bruise very easily. Mutsu or Crispin are a crisp green/yellow apple that arent real tart like a Granny smith. If nothing else is availabe, I will eat a Fuji, but they tend not to have a strong apple flavor to me. Definately keep refridgerated, not in the produce bag. My entire bottom crisper drawer is dedicated to apples. No other fruit or veg goes in there, only apples. We go through about 20 a week! Apples are one of my biggest grocery expenses!
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Fujis are the best! I cut them up and poor diet 7-up over them to keep them from browning for a day or two. They don't get mushie and the diet 7-up has adds a little flavor with no calories. Makes eating apples easy and fun. You can also pack them with you for a snack.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Fujis are the best! I cut them up and poor diet 7-up over them to keep them from browning for a day or two. They don't get mushie and the diet 7-up has adds a little flavor with no calories. Makes eating apples easy and fun. You can also pack them with you for a snack.

Oooh, good idea. I've heard the same about using OJ, but there are calories in that :wink:
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious!

PB2 is powdered peanut butter. You just add water. They have the reg. flavor and peanut butter chocolate flavor but honestly I don't think it's very chocolate-y. Still good though.
    Thanks - I've never heard of powdered peanut butter before. I might just have to check that out.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'll buy Pink Lady every time. They are wonderful.

I didn't know there was a peanut butter powder. I have a dehydrator, so I may have to try this! Thanks.
  • ahoesing
    ahoesing Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Braeburns are really good too!

Braeburns have been my favorite since high school. I have to keep myself from eating too many when they are in season :)

I keep them in the fridge only because I love biting into a cold apple.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention. If you're using a dehydrator, don't use water in the PB2. The powder will stick to the apple. You may have to press it on to the apple a bit to make sure it sticks. Brush off any extra so you just have a thin coating. Set the dehydrator at 135 degrees and your apples will be ready in the morning. I did two apples. One cut in wedges and one in rings. The rings were nicer. You'll have to experiment a bit to see how much powder to use. Some had too much and left powder on my shirt. I'm going to experiment a bit more and see if I can make a super thin mix with water and dip them. I'll get more apples this week and play around.
    The apples are the first thing I've made for myself. The dogs have gotten chicken liver and turkey giblets. They'll get chicken feet and hearts next. I see no point in buying treats if I can make them myself. I may have to get an extra set of trays so I have one for chicken feet and one for my stuff.