Scared to up my calories

Options
I'm 5'1 and 140, and I really want to be 105lbs. I've always had a bad relationship with food (EDNOS for 4 years) but I want to lose weight, healthily, and i generally don't know how anymore, stupid as it sounds. How can I lose this weight? Help!

Replies

• kaiya_alice
    Options
    It's not stupid for you to ask. In all honesty, I would say that you do know what is healthy. You know that fruit is and ice-cream isn't.

But I would say that you should:

Eat AT LEAST 5 portions of fruit and veg a day (1 portion= a handful/ usually around 80g) Aim for 7, and veg are better than fruit really, although I never manage 7, and eat more fruit anyways, so it doesn't matter too much.
    Eat breakfast every day.
    Have a snack, whenever you get hungry, make sure you have healthy ones with you, I always have an apple on me, but any fruit, veg, veg and dips (eg carrot and hummus etc), nuts and seeds are good, but can be high in fat, so don't eat too many.
    Then lunch, and I would recommend another snack later then. Then dinner.
    The purpose of the snacks is to try to keep your blood sugar reasonably constant, so you don't get cravings or feel suddenly really hungry, so that's also important.
    Drink quite a lot of water. Try to drink 2litres a day, and try to drink at least one of those as WATER, not coffee or tea or squash or whatever. And don't drink your calories, like having full fat soda, or even fruit juice all adds up. The easiest way to drink water is to make sure you always have some with you. Often when you think you are hungry, you can just be thirsty, so have something to drink, then wait 10 minutes, and you might not be hungry anymore.
    You can weigh your food, when measuring it, cups and stuff can be used, but is less accurate because of heaped cups and level ones or whatever, but weight is more constant, the trust the content on here is usually really good.
    Count what you eat, by putting it into myfitnesspal, and make yourself accountable, it's your responsibility. Try to be aware of everything you eat, but don't be obsessed by it, don't think one cookie is going to make you gain a pound, it won't!
    Make sure you notice what you're eating, and try to pay attention to the way it tastes, the texture, smell etc, really appreciate it and take your time. And try to stop eating when you're not hungry anymore. You are always allowed to eat later if you get hungry again. If you are hungry, then feed yourself, you are allowed!

I try to ignore fad diets, a fad diet is usually a bad diet, so don't even try. You need all food groups, and a balanced diet to be healthy.

Cardio will burn more calories, but weight training will make you look better, and make you burn more calories every day. Therefore I would do both. Try to focus on diet, and try to up your cardio, but it is difficult to say how much is the right amount. Remember that 10 minutes is better than nothing.

Don't expect to lose more than 1.5bs a week, even that is really great. It will take a long time. I normally lose 2lbs a month, but I am losing weight consistently, and it all adds up. Don't get cross if you gain, and try not to weigh yourself everyday, or get obsessed. A lot of things can change your weight. I would also say you should take photos, every 4lbs lost or so, and take measurements.

I really hope this has helped, and if you want to know anything more specific or ask anything, you can send me a message, or probably reply here, not sure how this works....

Good luck!!

Xxxx
  • lizziegrace10
    Options
    Thank you so much! That was some really great advice, I'm going to start using it ha! Definitely will start eating breakfast, this reply really motivated me to be healthy so thank you :)
  • acrego
    acrego Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I also recommend one of the books by my personal favorite fitness superstar, Jillian Michaels. "Master your metabolism". I'm reading it again for the 2nd time right now. She has a lot of practical, common sense advice, and a diet / exercise plan all spelled out for you. Her theory is that you can eat healthy, DON'T starve yourself, and exercise a reasonable amount, to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. I have done it and it works, but I had a bad year last year and have to start all over again! ;)
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I see the title of your post was to up your calories.

Honestly, it was the best thing I did, but I also am 5'6" and (currently) weigh 179.

I lost my first few pounds on a 1200 cal/day diet, and then the weight loss stopped, no inches came off, nothing (though I was not exercising regularly..)

I upped my calories to 1500 and am losing very steadily and have more energy.

My advice: Listen to your body. Find out what you like to eat that is healthy, and find out what you do not react well to. If you're hungry, have a small snack, as was suggested above, such as an apple, some veggies, whatever floats your boat. Also I've found that more protein works for me, but that's not the same for everybody. I am in love with protein shakes right now.

Good luck with everything! I am sure you will be able to obtain your goal!