Just getting started.

Options
I am looking for a suggestion for a low fat salad dressing. My husband's doctor wants him on a low fat, low cholesterol diet. Can anyone help?

Replies

• 1rayhamilton
    Options
    I love Kraft lite asian sesame toasted dressing. It's available at Walmart
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I make my own for each bowl. This makes enough for 1/2 a bag of lettuce (or 2-3 generous handfuls) plus veggies.

In an empty salad bowl add:

1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tsp wine vinegar (red, white, sherry, balsamic, doesn't matter)
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp ground pepper
    1/3 or so of a packet of Splenda or Equal (adjust up for less tartness)

Add lettuce and veggies and mix well. It stretches pretty far for a small amount of dressing. You'll get to the point where you don't need to measure. I do it by feel and sight. You can sub in sugar for the Splenda, I just am watching my carbs.
  • blpannmarie
    Options
    sometimes just whisking up your own is the best way to go. Walnut oil is high on Omega 3s - so a little walnut oil whisked with some balsamic vinegar for a savory taste or some rice vinegar for a little sweetness - shake a little salt and pepper maybe some cayenne and smokey paprika in there and you have a homemade healthy "know what's in it" dressing - enjoy!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I love just balsamic vinegar. Ken's light option dressing are delicious.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Lite raspberry vinagarette is my favorite.
  • youngblood411
    Options
    The best one for you is oil and vinegar :) it's not bad either..
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    I make my own for each bowl. This makes enough for 1/2 a bag of lettuce (or 2-3 generous handfuls) plus veggies.

1 tbsp olive oil
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp ground pepper

Add lettuce and veggies and mix well. It stretches pretty far for a small amount of dressing. You'll get to the point where you don't need to measure. I do it by feel and sight. You can sub in sugar for the Splenda, I just am watching my carbs.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing that with me. I will definitely give this one a try today.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    This looks a lot like a dressing my mother used to make. She showed me how to make it but I had forgotten how she did it. Thanks so much. I had been thinking of her recipe a lot lately. I will try this today. I agree that homemade dressings are probably the answer.
  • Celeigh12
    Options
    This looks a lot like a dressing my mother used to make. She showed me how to make it but I had forgotten how she did it. Thanks so much. I had been thinking of her recipe a lot lately. I will try this today. I agree that homemade dressings are probably the answer.

My grandma made it this way and then my mom. I'm just carrying on the family tradition!
  • Hi5jamaica
    Hi5jamaica Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms makes some incredible yogurt salad dressings. I really enjoy their Chunky Blue Cheese, not artificial tasting at all, and only 35 calories for TWO tablespoons!
  • Sissis81
    Sissis81 Posts: 3
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms makes a wonderful fat free Honey Dijon salad dressing.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options

1 tbsp olive oil
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp ground pepper

Oh My Lord!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I made some just now for my salad and it tastes so much like my momma's I almost cried. Thank you so much. By the way, your momma's name wasn't Katie was it? LOL I have to share this with my sister. She won't believe how close it is. Thank you so much. You made my day.
  • Celeigh12
    Options

1 tbsp olive oil
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp ground pepper

Oh My Lord!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I made some just now for my salad and it tastes so much like my momma's I almost cried. Thank you so much. By the way, your momma's name wasn't Katie was it? LOL I have to share this with my sister. She won't believe how close it is. Thank you so much. You made my day.

Are you kidding, you made MY day! I'm so glad you liked it and it brought back good memories! It's near and dear to me especially having lost my mom last year. For years I asked her for the recipe and she couldn't articulate it. It was just a few shakes of this and a glug of that... That's how my grandma made it and how she taught her. So she would have me "shake" and "glug" and then critique my results until I got it right. I recently worked it out with measuring spoons like this so I could share with a friend. Hope your sister loves it too!

P.S. - My mom's name was Sue Ellen. :bigsmile:
  • lyndalee59
    lyndalee59 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    walden farms carries a no calorie, no carb dressings, mayo, etc. I have used the bacon ranch dressing. its pretty good. just ordered more from them. can't find it in stores in my area. waldenfarms.com. there is a code if you buy 5 you get 5 free. ww-q1212-05. they also have a locater on their website. you might can find it in stores where you are. hope this helps.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil, salt, and vinegar of your choice (I like apple cider vinegar). Ratio oil3-vinegar1

Edit: oops someone already threw that out there haha. That's what I get for skimming :). Happy salad eating!
  • iamfishing
    Options
    Hi everyone...just started using myfitnesspal and loving it. I really find it very easy to use and intuitive. It also keeps me honest with my calories. I've been working out hard for the last year but the progress over the last 30 days with FitnessPal has been great. The last 10 lbs is always the hardest and this tool is making a real difference.
  • iamfishing
    Options
    I love Kraft Greek Feta Light.
  • rew1469
    rew1469 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms in the Northwest Fred Meyers, Yokes even Wal-Mart is carrying it.