Has anyone tried Kettlebells?

Options
I'm interested in trying Kettlebells. I like the idea of doing cardio and anaerobic exercise in the same work out. Has anyone tried it? Does it create lean muscles or bulky ones (I'd like to not end up with the female body-builder look).

How quickly do you lose weight and are the 20 minutes exercise the ideal or does doing more bring faster results?

Thank you for your input.

Replies

• darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i'd like to learn about kettle bells as well!

20 mins of excersise depending on intensity it I'd say not really enough. The body has to go through 3 systems before it actually starts to even burn fat. recommended time is 30-60 mins.
  • ackersb
    ackersb Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Not sure that I am much help, but a trainer showed me how to use them. I loved them! They create lean muscles in females. I did three exercises with them and felt they worked in hte few days I used them. We have one at home, but it's too heavy for me to really workout with.

Hopefully someone else has more info for you : )

Becky
  • monicka8311
    Options
    Hi! I use Kettle bells several times through the week. it has given me very nice defined muscles on my arms.

As far as weight loss... I think that all depends on your diet and other exercises as well.

I usually do a circuit with at least 3 different things involved.

I'll have a 15 lb kettle bell and do a squatting swing for 10 times on each hand, and then raise it over my head and go back to a lunge while holding it above my head next to my ear (10 on each side) and then finish with 10 burpees. Repeat that 3-5 times and you'll be doing good.
    I highly recommend them! I use 10-25lb kettle bells depending on the exercise!
    Good Luck!
  • janiceYMCA
    janiceYMCA Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've done a few workouts with kettlebells and love them! Depending on the weight, it is a fantastic workout! My favourite is Jillian Michaels Shred it with Weights (http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-Shred-It-With-Weights/dp/B003TJM69C/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1331857707&sr=1-1). I also like the Amy Bento Kettlebell Dynamics (http://www.amazon.com/Amy-Bento-Kettlebell-Dynamics/dp/B0028BVDB4)
  • janitalynn
    Options
    i think kbells are great for women because they do lean you out. they work differently than dbs because muscles have to work differently to balance off weight bell instead of a balanced dumbbell. i am a girl who builds too much in my traps if im not careful, so i am constantly trying to look like victorias secret not arnold! i do love how kbells define my back and shoulders without lookng like i did a thousand overhead presses. as with any cardio, i dont think there is a magic amount of time. alll the things we read about fitting your workout into 15 or 20 minutes may be true, but it depends on your goals. if you are in great shape and just want to tone, you can certainly do that in a few 20 to 30 minute sessions per week. but if you have weight to lose or fat to burn, the bottom line is more time equals more calorie burn. no getting around that. so i dont think they can replace other cardio. i personally do kbells once or twice a week and a lot of yoga to define my upper body. but i also strength train with heavy weights twice a week for lower body and do cardio almost every day, mostly interval. i too am no professional but read everything and have found what i think works. hope it is helpful. i would go online and look for kbell routines to start with if theres no one to show you, or use the dvd that usually comes with the equipment. i bet you will love it and will see great definition within 3 or 4 weeks.
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've just bought one... I can't wait to try it. It came with a 25 minute workout dvd. How would you enter it into MFP? I realize calories burned are different for everyone... according to the internet, kettlebells burn a ridiculous amount of calories but I'd rather lowball it.

Would entering in a 25 minute aerobic/kettlebell workout as general aerobics work? It says I'd burn about 300 calories
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I use em in workouts here and there, I use hand weights much more though........
  • Seahawk27
    Seahawk27 Posts: 72
    Options
    I LOVE kettlebells! I have a friend who is a personal trainer and she specializes in Russian kettlebells. Google it, but I have some serious definition in my arms now, and it is such a great workout. I adore them, and I'll be happy when I recover from my neck injury and can get back to them.
  • boys4rmine
    Options
    I LOVE KETTLEBELLS!!! in 2 months of doing KB here are the results...in my arms...

kettelbellproof.jpg

and I notice as I train for my triathlon how much of a difference in the strength as I swim, run and bike etc.

If anyone wants a link to free kettlebell workouts let me know. Got one that is called hell's ladder (INTENSE) and one that is what I started at and now do my own version of it then do Jillian's after it to make a full 45 min. workout.

progress.jpg
    DSC03170.jpg
  • Frisky_CoastalNative
    Options
    I have used kettlebells a few times. Loved the workout! I would suggest take a leap and try it. Give yourself extra rest days inbetween until you get used to them, because the bells work muscles you probably forgot you had :) Have fun!!
  • lou1618
    lou1618 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use a kettlebell about 3 times a week... after 5 weeks , even my husband notice that my arms are more define and I lost inches in my legs, hips amd waist too. I love using the kettlebell. Bob Harper has a 50 mins kettlebell dvd , love it. I started out using a 5 lb now using 10lbs.
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you guys estimate you burn in a workout?
  • xerotolerance
    Options
    I love playing with kettlebells, they are too much fun! One of my favorite objects to incorporate into my workouts.

http://www.myomytv.com/ (great free kettlebell workout videos)