need a vitamin with 0% iron

Options
My sister was just diagnosed with hemochromatosis which is a disease that the Iron pretty much poisons you. She was discharged from the hospital and will know the extent of liver damage tomorrow when the biopsy results come in. I need to know if there are vitamins without Iron? Fatigue is one of the worse side affects for her. Maybe even a protein shake without Iron since she has a hard time stomaching anything

Replies

• day_dreamr24
    Options
    I suggest MRM 100% Whey protein, no iron in it and the Dutch Chocolate is tasty :smile:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mrm/pumped.html

As far as vitamins go...there are multi vitamins that don't contain any iron in them. I take Source of Life with Iron, but I know they make a multi without Iron as well. Hope this helps!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Very sorry to hear about your sister but this is a question only her Physician should answer. :heart:
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    I like Veg Life, they are 100% vegan with no iron
  • jojojobean
    Options
    Hey, I have Genetic HH. There is a facebook page for people with Hemochromatosis. A lot of people on there with a lot of different situations, so there is bound to be someone she can relate to.

As far as supplements go. Children's vitamins generally do not contain Iron. HOWEVER. Do not take Vitamin C within like 2 hrs. of meal time. I would advise her to get some good books on Genetic HH. They even have cookbooks with really great information.

Drinking tea/coffee/chocolate with meals helps to decrease some of the absorption of iron.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Vitamin Shoppe has good, no iron multi's but they use they less desirable varietals of B complexes.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I just found out I have Hemochromatosis . Definately going to get Veg life!