dealing with being overweight and my daughter is anorexic

Options
i am having a hard time losing weight when both my daughters dont want too be fat like their mother, too the point that my 13 yr old daughter has stopped eating. im struggling everyday . any advice?

Replies

• ahubacek
    ahubacek Posts: 135
    Options
    That sounds like a terrible situation to be in and I'm not sure I have any great advice. The only suggestion I could make would be to show them what a healthy lifestyle looks like. Don't make it about pounds or inches, just about eatting healthy and being fit. If you can get them involved in activities with you it might make it more fun for all of you.

If you're worried about your daughter being anorexic, it might be best to take her to a doctor who can give you more specific advice for her needs.
  • dflorian40
    Options
    thank you for your advice, its not easy being a parent these days. she is seeing a doctor but shes being stubborn. i had a talk with her and explained why i need too lose weight and that she is a beautiful girl , we cried and i hope the first step leads too some healing for us both, thanks again . hope you are doing well with your weight lose.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Model good, healthy eating habits. Stress the idea of fueling your body.

Get your daughter involved in some type of sport so that she learns the value of healthy balance.

My mom and I are the obese ones in the family. My older sister is anorexic. I get what you are saying - have been there.

The stress has to be on a healthy balance, and you can only start that with yourself.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    That sounds like a terrible situation to be in and I'm not sure I have any great advice. The only suggestion I could make would be to show them what a healthy lifestyle looks like. Don't make it about pounds or inches, just about eatting healthy and being fit. If you can get them involved in activities with you it might make it more fun for all of you.

If you're worried about your daughter being anorexic, it might be best to take her to a doctor who can give you more specific advice for her needs.

this
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into family counseling to talk it all out in a safe environment so no feelings are hurt.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I agree... keep all the food healthy, make sure you meet all your macros, and be a shining example to her that eating healthy (versus not eating at all) is the best way to go!

Good for you for noticing though, sometimes parents dont notice whats going on with their children, until its waaaay too late!

Kudos for being and awesome mom, and kudos for making the decision to be a healthier one too!!
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Educating your kids about eating a wholesome diet VS others is important and get them involved :)
    Cook healthy meals together and do things together that what my mom did for my sister and I as much as possible.

Plus you just took your first step in the right direction by joining MFP so congrats on taking that first step not alot of people do :)
    With the right support and motivation you'll do just great!

feel free to add me :)
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    anorexia is all about control. mostly nothing to do with food. it is just the only thing she can control. if there is no change you should take her to a therapist for a chat. have never been but a few of my close friends on here are. it is totally a mental disease and gains hold quickly. do not take it lightly. and yes just try to focus on health and try not to say how much you are eating or count calories in front of her if at all possible. get some exercise for yourself as that will help you with stress from the issue.good luck!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    my 6 yo boy grabbed his non-existent tummy the other day and said to my husband "dad does it look like i'm getting fat" yeah big wake up call for me now we just talk about making healthy choice 80 percent of the time and 20 percent of the time eating not such good choices and i have to watch my big mouth. I have a 16 yo girl as well that i have always told is beautiful the way she is so i feel for you. I am pretty open with them about my feelings and let them express theirs. I don't know your whole situation maybe counseling would be best. Good Luck to you.
  • Droope2
    Droope2 Posts: 82
    Options
    i am having a hard time losing weight when both my daughters dont want too be fat like their mother, too the point that my 13 yr old daughter has stopped eating. im struggling everyday . any advice?

I can totally sympathize, I am overweight and preparing for gastric bypass in the fall, my 16 yr old daughter is not only anorexic but has bulimic tendencies as well, only thing is, it wasn't me she didn't want to be like, she was at her friends and listened to her friends mother go on and on about how fat her daughter was, my daughter was the same weight and insisted she must be fat also, so she came home and started vomiting, we have been struggling for 3 years now, we have been so low in weight periods have stopped and constant fainting spells started ( she also has a heart condition) we are finally at 100lbs and holding strong, she actually joined MFP today to keep her calories up and keep the weight steady. If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to add me, I am always willing to help