Exercising makes me a grouch

Options
I thought exercising was suppose to make you happy because it releases all these wonder endorphins into your body. I become a big snarly bear. I am burning on average between 300-600 calories a day, today was a little over 1000 and I am not all happy, warm and fuzzy. any suggestions? does this go away? I sure hope so for my family's sake. I'm starting to think the term fat and happy may have some truth to it.

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    when i just started running, i'd have like a 'hangover' the next day.sleepy, grouchy, headachy... not sure when it went away really... i upped my carb percentage (from 25 to 45) and am drinking more water. either could have helped.
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    How long have you been exercising. I had to force myself to go when I first started. I was uncomfortable, it was hard, it made me tired and sore, I wanted to see instant results, etc. - so I was pretty grouchy too. After a few weeks (maybe a couple of months), I really started seeing results - I started sleeping better, I could do more, I became more comfortable in the gym. Now, I am a huge grump on days I don't exercise. My husband does everything possible to get home and watch the kids so I can get out and run.
  • shortandfaithful
    Options
    I've been at it almost 3 weeks and I have really stepped up my game this past week but man I don't even want to be around myself. I don't really hurt but I am SUPER tired though. Just ready to be happy momma or at least bearable momma while there are still kids left :p
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    u getting enough sleep? i know i get terrible when i don't sleep enough. it's like watching myself say really mean stuff and wondering why i am doing it... i'm aware but can't help it.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling constantly worn down by the amount of exercise you're doing, then you're probably doing too much for your current fitness levels, or not eating enough for your activity level.
  • dan05071978
    dan05071978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    this is probably a combination of things. 1 from a blood sugar crash and 2 from built up toxins. When muscles burn sugars and you "overexert" yourself muscles make a lot of bad stuff -- this will cause you to be irritable up your water intake to help flush out. The blood sugar crash can be helped with some complex carb protein bars or a shake. Just watch the sugars and sodium content to stay on track.