Help, please! Apparently in dire need of some advice!

Options
I am a 5'5", 22 year-old that currently weighs 139 lbs. My goal weight is 130 lbs and in that I am hoping to tone up and become more athletic looking again like I was in high school.

Currently I eat about 1600 calories a day and eat back most, if not all of my exercise calories.

Three days a week I strength train with squats, abs, a glue machine, compound rowing, leg press, and leg raises. I'm not trying to bulk up, so I lift at a slightly lower weight with more reps. Five days a week I do cardio; HIIT on the treadmill for 20-40 minutes (depending on if I'm strength training as well) and most days I also go on a walk with my dog.

This routine is a 360 from what I was doing before - which was nothing. However, this is my fourth week in and I see NO results. No weight loss, no inches lost. Nothing!

I wouldn't be so frustrated, but last year I lost 30 lbs with MFP only. Only diet, no exercise. So I'm confused as to why now that I'm combining it with exercise I have yet to see any change. I know these things take time, but I always thought that 4 weeks would be enough to see something.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this? I'm trying not to get discouraged so I'm asking for some help! :ohwell:

B%2526D.jpg
I didn't take a picture before I started exercising so I've got one from almost 2 weeks ago and this morning.

Replies

• britniseubert
    Options
    No thoughts from anyone? C'mon people!
  • GunslingerGirl
    GunslingerGirl Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try mixing things up a bit more. Add some things randomly and then take them away. Keep your body guessing so it doesn't know whats coming. That way it won't get in a rut by doing the same things all the time.

And not losing anything in 4 weeks can be quite frustrating yes, but not everyone can lose a ton in the short amount of time. For some it may take just a bit longer. I know how you feel not getting the results you think you should get. It gets really annoying! But, you just gotta be patience and wait. It'll come in time.

If you want more support feel free to add me :smile: I'm always happy to have new friends
  • mishmash81
    Options
    I'm only starting to get into my own exercise regime, so I'm not the best person to offer advice on this subject. But maybe you could try taking measurements? You may not see anything on the scales, but receive all the information you need from a measuring tape :) Hopefully other people will be able to give you more advice, if you're happy with your current training method, then I would start with measuring. Goodluck!!! x
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, can't say I have any good ideas except to just keep at it.

Sounds like you are eating a good amount and exercising hard. Sometimes results take longer that we want - and I think it can be particularly hard to see changes when you have changed your exercise, as muscle can hold water while it repairs, so this could be masking the changes.

I know most people here recommend less reps/more weight for strenght training - us women don't have enough testosterone to get bulky without a hell of a lot of very specific effort.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Do us a favor and open your diary so we can see what you are eating. You may not be eating enough believe it or not
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    If your goal is simply aesthetic, you should drop the cardio completely and focus on lifting weights. That way, you won't have any issues of miscalculating your calorie intake since you mentioned you eat your workout calories back. Dont be afraid to lift heavy, building muscles is tough even for guys, and there is no way you will bulk up. Your body does not have enough testosterones for it to do so...
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is to have more patience, the closer you get to your goal the more difficult it becomes.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Do us a favor and open your diary so we can see what you are eating. You may not be eating enough believe it or not

As Moderatetely Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week), your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) including your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 2243.86 calories per day. That means to cut 1 lb per week, you would eat 1743 calories per day WITHOUT eating back your exercise calories. Make sure you are getting enough protien too, especially after your workouts.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Your weight sounds normal for your height. I would say it is going to take longer than you would like to get down.

The closer you get to your goal weight, the longer it takes to lose the weight.

Oh and I've heard that doing HIIT everyday is harmful? I'm not positive on this though.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    No expert here, but could it be that possible that all you are doing is kinda working against itself??? Lose weight with cardio but build muscle with weight training, + neither loss nor gain.... something of that nature? If you are already fit, isn't it harder to see some type of improvement?
  • Emporor_Augustus
    Options
    I don't know much, but it sounds like what you're doing right now is maintaining your weight, not shedding it. I'm pretty sure to lose weight you probably shouldn't eat back your exercise calories, and for someone your size 1600 seems like a lot to start, and then you're eating more on top of that? Also, are you eating the right stuff? Because to shed weight you need lots of protein; so many people are tempted to carb-load because exercise makes you crave the satisfaction of carbs but they're not very good for losing weight.

The exercise is awesome though, keep it up! Just remember that muscle weighs more than fat so if you're doing weight training you may not see a difference in the number on the scale. I know plateaus are frustrating but as long as you're healthy and feeling good you'll see results eventually. Don't give up.
  • mnldreams
    mnldreams Posts: 21
    Options
    I have the same problem.. A lot of time my body just gets use to it, so try doing something different but that will challenge you a little more. Maybe some type of Zumba or different classes that will get a little of both strength and cardio at the same time. Keep going sounds like you are doing all the right things as far as being active and eating right.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    *the pic didn't show for me :(

Yeah, I would expect eating that amount, it will take a bit longer to see results - but it is a good way to do it! you need fuel to build up your strength. For the next month, focus on how much your strength increases, how much better your cardio gets, etc. Get in at least an hour every day, with 5 reasonably intense days, and at least a walk on the other days. If you don't want to work that hard, drop the amount of food a bit.

Also, during the day, make sure that you don't remain static - get up and move, even just a to the bathroom or to fill up your water bottle, as much as possible. This has been -crucial- in helping me to stop gaining weight, and I am the perfect example as I have been injured and was unable to do more than very short walks.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much of a difference this makes but maybe you need to downgrade, or even upgrade, your base level of activity. For example, if its set to highly active try sedentary. Im not sure if this is good advice though! :/ Good luck.
  • charneus
    charneus Posts: 66
    Options
    I actually just posted a status on this very topic. How ironic.

Some things to try:

1. Remove 200-300 calories from your intake, as LONG as you don't drop below 1200 calories.
    2. Double the time you exercise. Your body is used to what you're doing now, so you need to push it a bit more.
    3. Add resistance to your exercises. Instead of 20 lb weights, curl 30 lb weights.
    4. Change your diet around. Your body is used to what you're eating. By substituting something else, it may cause a reaction in your body to help you lose those last stubborn pounds.

These are just some tips you can use to jump off that plateau and lose the rest. I know it's frustrating, but really, the key point in this is NOT your weight, but how fit you are. You can be 300 lbs and be super-fit, or you can be 130 lbs and barely walk half a block before getting out of breath. Sure, it's nice to look "smaller", but it's more important to be healthy than it is to be skinny.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    honestly, some weeks you wont see a loss but other weeks you will. if you find yourself plateau-ing, REV UP YOUR INTENSITY because you cant do the same routine everyday since your body changes!! youd be surprised actually the amount of times you have to up the ante on exercising, the human body is quite the amazing machine!
  • koolmum
    koolmum Posts: 39
    Options
    Be patient. Those last few pounds can be a bugger.
    Sometimes it can be beneficial (mentally) to have a goal range instead of a single number since our weight can fluctuate day to day.
    Enjoy your workouts and think about all of the benefits besides weight loss that you're providing for your body and mind.

:smile:
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it may be true for you, but when I was 23 (many moons ago), I realized my metabolism had come to a screeching halt. However, my eating HABITS remained the same. I suddenly realized that I had to be more aware of what I was putting in my body for fuel. I switched to munching on fruits and nuts throughout the morning up until lunch, where I ate healthy and light. I also went vegetarian for about six months until a major hamburger craving cured me. :)

You mentioned that you lost 30 lbs and your ticker shows 9 lbs to go. Those last few are always the hardest and take time. Sounds like you have a good workout in place along with a good awareness of your food intake. Keep on keeping on!

I have been maintaining the same regimin that I started way back when I was 23 (currently 30 something :) ), and I feel that I am in the best shape of my life right now! It's a lifestyle....not a quick fix!
  • pinkpandangel105
    pinkpandangel105 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Completely new to the fitness world, but maybe try more lean protein? Don't know what you're eating now. Also maybe some is water weight? Jillian Micheals has a home recipe for a drink to get the water bloat out. 60 oz water, 1 tablespoon sugar free cranberry juice, 1 dandelion root tea bag, 2 tablespoon lemon juice. 60 oz a day for 7 days. (I saw it on pinterest).
  • lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I started working out about 2 and a half months ago and didn't see results (weight loss) until maybe 2 weeks ago. Your body is probably just adjusting and the reason u lost the 30 pounds before with just MFP is probably because u would have had more to lose. As your weight gets lower, your weight loss will slow down. I know people think that if women lift heavier weights they will bulk up but unless your lifting extremely heavy, I dont think its going to happen. For example, there are women at my gym who are toned and thin but are squatting with like 60 pounds of weights....they definitely dont look bulky. I usually do 45 or 50 pounds and I'm 115 at 5' 6" and not bulky....well except for a very stubborn inner thigh lol. Maybe try lifting heavier as well as maybe try doing something like Zumba. Its different cardio but fun so maybe you will see results..I did!