Am I losing too quickly?

Options
I have my MFP set to lose 2 lbs per week. My goal calorie intake is 1200. I've been exercising (walking, kayaking) at least 30 mins about 5 days a week. I do increase my calories to compensate for when I exercise. When I kayaked one day I burned over 400. Calories and ended up eating 1700 or so calories.

I did my first weigh in this past Monday and I lost 5 pounds. Is this too much for one week, I have been told 1-2 pounds per week is "healthy". I just don't want to lose too rapidly and damage to my metabolism.

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put too much into the first week or two.....Your body is doing a lot of adjusting and its probably just water weight.
  • momtimesone
    momtimesone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When you first start doing exercise and eating right you drop a lot of water weight within that first month and after that it will settle down to just about 1-2pds a week and will slow down even more when you get closer to your goal.I would not even worry about it right as your body will even itself out and as long as you keep your calories good and keep exercising you will do well. Good luck with your new lifestyle change and I hope to see a success story posted by you when its all said and done.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    First week is both water and fat. 1-3 lbs is a good range to be at a week. Eat to lose 2lbs, if you lose 3, nothing wrong with that IMO.
  • sidra1446
    sidra1446 Posts: 32
    Options
    Well great job on the five pounds! Like everyone else said, perfectly normal to loose a lot the first few weeks, ever watch those first weigh-ins on the biggest loser?
  • OhioMade
    OhioMade Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My first week was 7 lbs, my second week was 1.8 lbs, so you will likely settle down to more realistic numbers after the initial shock to the system.