Having problems with you Polar HRM????

Options
pauljsolie
pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
I know this has been posted a gazillion times but it's worth reiterating. After about 3 months, my HRM started acting very erratic. First put it on and it would read 280 bpm, then drop to zero. Check transmitter message and on and on. Here are the 3 things that will make it work just like new.
1 Tighten the strap.
2 Tighten the strap even more.
3 When you think the strap is tight enough, tighten it some more.
That simple. I also immerse the strap (w/o the transmitter) for a minute or two, squeeze off the excess water and put it on.

Since doing this, no problems and I'm very happy with my Polar FT7 once again. Hope this helps someone out there.

Replies

• amfeierabend74
    Options
    I have noticed that if I do not wet the strap on my ft4 the funky readings happen to me as well. Now I make sure to always wet the chest strap and just wipe off the excess water
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to wash the strap... That generally fixes the erratic reading problems.
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Good thing to know since I just purchased a FT7 and started using it yesterday. Thanks so much.
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    Yes, you have to wash it also. Polar says to just wear it when you shower. I guess the body oils and salts from your sweat can affect the stuff inside. I was ready to chuck mine in the garbage before I figured things out.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just got my FT40 a week ago. The instructions say to wet it before use and to rinse it off after every use and to wash it once a week. I'll keep this in mind if it decides to go wonky.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I did before. exactly what you described. It was my fault I didn't wash it properly. accidently added bleach to a laundry load and well yah....... got a new strap and I now wash it with hand soap every time I use it and let it air dry. no problems now.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have to wash it also. Polar says to just wear it when you shower. I guess the body oils and salts from your sweat can affect the stuff inside. I was ready to chuck mine in the garbage before I figured things out.

Actually they say to machine wash it with detergent only, no fabric softener and line dry every 5 uses.

I've never seen them say to wear it when you shower... that makes no sense and would prob. only gunk it up more.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Mine will sometimes register 00 for my heart rate.... it's then that I know I need to wash it!!! I make sure to wet it before each use, and rinse it out after every use. I agree that it should also be tight, but comfortable. I think washing (with no fabric softener, bleach, etc.) and line dry is what is needed.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options

Actually they say to machine wash it with detergent only, no fabric softener and line dry every 5 uses.

I've never seen them say to wear it when you shower... that makes no sense and would prob. only gunk it up more.

I wear mine into the shower after using it so I remember to wash it. I take it off and use hand soap on the whole thing then hang it up to air dry after. I kept forgetting to wash it until I did that.
  • pauljsolie
    Options

That was an option related to me by a customer service rep from Polar. I'm not sure what you shower with, I don't shower with gunk, just soap and water.
  • IAMAMRA
    IAMAMRA Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mine and my wifes(FT7 and FT4) both didn't save our current data the other night(separate nights). I had mine paused while I switched machines and when I went to start it was gone. No data even saved at all, nor am I close to full on data. My wife was in the car and went to enter in hers and the same thing. Any ideas?