Is easing up a bad thing?

Options
So I've lost 20+ pounds and I'm only 8 pounds away from my original goal weight, although I'll probably adjust it 10 more pounds once I get there. Now that I'm getting closer to my goal, I'm easing up on the calorie counting regimen. I'm eating things I already know the count on, so I'm roughly in the same window, but I'm focusing more on listening to my body when it is or isn't hungry as opposed to planning everything out.

Now the question is this: is it bad that I don't mind if my weight loss slows a little at this point since I'm basically at a healthy weight? I'm afraid that I'll let myself slip into bad habits and get unmotivated, even though I know, logically that eating 1400-1600 calories is definitely not going to make me gain? Idk, I guess I'm just looking for opinions or maybe to hear from people who have been in a similar situation.

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you're comfortable with losing at a slower rate, then do what's right for you. It's your body :smile:

I weigh myself every day so that I know I will stay on track (although I'm still counting calories) and know that it will fluctuate a little from day to day. But at least if it goes up a little, I can look at what I ate or drank the day before to see what might have caused it.

I've been down this road before, losing 75 pounds about 10 years ago. I was counting calories then as well, then stopped....then stopped working out, and started making excuses.

If you don't want to count every day, then you may want to maybe pick a week each month or every other month just to count to keep yourself honest . Sometimes we think we remember everything we ate, but it's so easy to forget things. Just a suggestion.

And congrats on your weight loss :flowerforyou:
  • kymdarnell
    kymdarnell Posts: 101
    Options
    hiya, i am getting really close to my goal weight and had the same thoughts. decided i will still stick to the calories i am at and if i lose more yeah for me. actually i think i will count calories until the day i die now.... i love it...
  • Skyflier83
    Options
    I'm about 10lbs away from my goal weight but have been stuck at my current weight for ages which is why I joined myfp. If you're happy with what you weigh and are eating healthy/exercising then it's a good position to be in! In my case I'm convinced that if I lose these last few pounds I'll have the flat stomach and confidence to wear a bikini which is why I log everything. It's not easy though but like loads of people say here it's a journey :smile:
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys; I am still counting calories one or two days a week, but I've failed at losing weight so many times in the past that I'm just nervous about it happening again.
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would be afraid of losing control and gaining weight back. But I don't think that upping your calories occasionally and lessening the tight hold a little bit.

I always say this, right now I am on a diet, but I am learning for life. You know your limits, if you know that the weight might not fall off as fast and expect it then I think it is ok.
  • NubianSpirit
    NubianSpirit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my 2-cents on the subject would be this: during your journey to the point where you are now, have you created for yourself a healthy lifestyle that has taught you how to eat "correctly" and includes a certain amount of physical activity? if the answer to that question is yes, then you are probably on the right track - you know what it takes to get to, be and stay where you want to be and if it is a part of your lifestyle then you should be safe to maintain it for the long haul.

:)
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    my 2-cents on the subject would be this: during your journey to the point where you are now, have you created for yourself a healthy lifestyle that has taught you how to eat "correctly" and includes a certain amount of physical activity? if the answer to that question is yes, then you are probably on the right track - you know what it takes to get to, be and stay where you want to be and if it is a part of your lifestyle then you should be safe to maintain it for the long haul.

:)

I definitely have; I can't remember the last time I binged, or even went over my TDEE. I bike 6.5 miles 3 times a week and work out in addition to that as well, so hopefully I'll be OK :)