"Diet" Soda Pop

Options
kroger7
kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
Ok....so I know that diet pop can't be good for you, but since it is 0 calories I have found myself stopping at the McDonald's drive-thru and getting a Coke Zero as a pick-me-up instead of getting a latte at the coffee shop. I know it can't be healthy, but has anyone looked into what's so bad about it??

This is in part for me, to give me a reason to by-pass the drive-thru, and for my sister-in-law, who drinks gallons of diet pepsi and won't listen to me that it's not healthy, because... I have no explanations!! Help?:drinker: Thanks!

Replies

• pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    2 things:

1. It's not proven to cause cancer, but the sugar substitutes they use are linked to cancer in lab rats.
    2. It supposedly makes you hungier. Apparently, when people drink diet soda, they eat more than usual because it puts their bodies into eat mode but doesn't give it any calories.
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    Carbonated water
    Colour (150d) - aka "Sulphite Ammonia Caramel"
    Food acid 338 - aka "Phosphoric Acid" (Also used for rust removal!)
    Food acid 331 - aka "Sodium Citrates" (Also used in photography and as an anticoagulant of blood stored for transfusion!)
    Flavour
    Sweetener 951 - aka "Asapartame" (According to the US FDA, "the [National Cancer Institute] currently is studying aspartame and other dietary factors as part of a larger study of adult brain cancer." You might want to wait for the results before you drink it. Also, avoid this one if you're moody!)
    Sweetener 950 - aka "Acesulfame Potassium" (Looking for reasons to avoid this sweetener? Look no further...)
    Preservative 211 - aka "Sodium Benzoate" (Undiluted this stuff isn't too bad... Just don't let it touch your skin!)
    Caffeine
  • llywyn
    llywyn Posts: 315
    Options
    Where soda is bad is because you are taking in artificial sweeteners that do not assist in removing the negative chemicals from you body to make it work more efficiently. From a mechanical standpoint, if you are trying to get the right amount of fluid to help your body function and to remove the sodium and other toxins form foods, throwing bad stuff back in is not helping you.

I have had this argument with my significant other SEVERAL times as I :heart: diet drinks and do not have the side affects he does to artificial sweeteners, and totally agree with you that every bit counts ( a zero is a zero, right?).

Sometimes you have to be human and take it one step at a time, and if replacing a latte with a soda is your treat, just do your body a favor and make sure to drink all your water as well.

My .02 lbs.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    oh wow I started drinking coke zero and pepsi one Im not drinking that no more:grumble: back to the gtea water and crystal light it iz thanks for the info
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Google "aspartame", and read some of the stuff that pops up. It'll knock your socks off. Even if there's only a chance that a percentage of the horrible things you read about artificial sweetners is true, is it really worth the risk when you could have a refreshing glass of water or a nice cup of green tea? I just did some Googling, and I'm finished with my occasional bottle of diet coke. It's just not worth it for something that is so unnecessary in my diet.
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    a lot of the stuff on aspartame on the internet is from one woman who is a bit of a crack-pot. just be wary of where you get your info. NOT saying diet pop is a healthy choice, but I choose it when I want the sweet, but not the extra cals. I read a book that said you actually don't get much that is bad out of aspartame...you get much worse just from breathing in air....
    It's worth researching however.

Cindy:heart:
  • bwilton77
    bwilton77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My doctor said that if I was going to drink diet soda or use sweetener to use splenda. It's better for you than the other sweeteners and to be honest it does tastse better. Coke make a diet coke with splenda so you still have caffine but if you just like the taste try Diet Rite Zero. It has no caffine, no sodium, and is made with splenda. I'm not fond of the regular dite rite but I do like the cherry cola they have.
  • Shanta1983
    Options
    a lot of the stuff on aspartame on the internet is from one woman who is a bit of a crack-pot. just be wary of where you get your info. NOT saying diet pop is a healthy choice, but I choose it when I want the sweet, but not the extra cals. I read a book that said you actually don't get much that is bad out of aspartame...you get much worse just from breathing in air....
    It's worth researching however.

Cindy:heart:

Its to many negativity about it I read Im good, Im staying away from it, I had my last one today, thats why I didnt want to started in the first place..so itz nothing for me to stop drinking it
  • bcblondie
    bcblondie Posts: 1
    Options
    oh wow I started drinking coke zero and pepsi one Im not drinking that no more:grumble: back to the gtea water and crystal light it iz thanks for the info

crystal light has artificial sweeteners too!
  • Shanta1983
    Options

crystal light has artificial sweeteners too!

oh wow damn well no more crystal light either just green tea and water :noway:
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My doctor said that if I was going to drink diet soda or use sweetener to use splenda. It's better for you than the other sweeteners and to be honest it does tastse better. Coke make a diet coke with splenda so you still have caffine but if you just like the taste try Diet Rite Zero. It has no caffine, no sodium, and is made with splenda. I'm not fond of the regular dite rite but I do like the cherry cola they have.

do they make that in Canada? Diet Coke with Splenda sounds awesome but I have never seen it :grumble:
  • rlberg55
    rlberg55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    All soda has lots of phosphates in it, diet or not, which has been proven to increase your risk of osteoporosis because it leeches out the calcium from your bones. One soda every week or two is not going to make your bones brittle immediately, but drinking them every day is really bad for you.

Just google something like "health effects of soda" and you will see that it is not just the artificial sweeteners to be worried about.
  • bwilton77
    bwilton77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    try asking your local grocery store if they carry it or know somewhere close that does sometimes it's something they have to order for you. the can is silver with a yellow swirl line up the sides. Good luck it is yummy.
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    All soda has lots of phosphates in it, diet or not, which has been proven to increase your risk of osteoporosis because it leeches out the calcium from your bones. One soda every week or two is not going to make your bones brittle immediately, but drinking them every day is really bad for you.

Just google something like "health effects of soda" and you will see that it is not just the artificial sweeteners to be worried about.

They're just not worth it to have in your diet. They have no health benefits, and too many potential risks to make them a sensible choice of beverage. This is coming from a girl who was a complete soda addict a month ago. :drinker:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I saw this article on MSN the other day. Since this thread is somewhat relevant, I thought it would be a good place.

Sewage treatment plants fail to remove artificial sweeteners completely from waste water
    http://www.wateronline.com/article.mvc/New-Test-Detects-Artificial-Sweetener-Traces-0001
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    just drink it in moderation if you enjoy it

I love diet soda
  • acrylicrocks
    Options
    I am addicted to Coke Zero. You could pump that stuff right into my brain. I don't drink it that often and there are somethings that go best with a glass of soda. Like the perfect slice of pizza! :love:

Besides with all the horrible things that we are subjected to, so what about sweeteners.
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    Besides with all the horrible things that we are subjected to, so what about sweeteners.

With all the horrible things we are exposed to, why ADD artificial sweetners to it. :tongue:

I always loved soda with pizza though.
  • ColinQ
    ColinQ Posts: 76
    Options
    I really hate the taste of artificial sweeteners so i have cut out coke and other fizzy drinks altogether. I prefer orange juice anyway, but that shows as containing a lot of sugar even though it is fruit sugar.:grumble: :ohwell:
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I really hate the taste of artificial sweeteners so i have cut out coke and other fizzy drinks altogether. I prefer orange juice anyway, but that shows as containing a lot of sugar even though it is fruit sugar.:grumble: :ohwell:

You really don't have to give up anything....just keep it in moderation and you will be okay