Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like to eat in bed.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, this is weight loss handicap #2.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I avoid eating after 11pm, because I'm usually asleep at 10:30.
    That way, my bed stays clean.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I avoid eating after 11pm, because I'm usually asleep at 10:30.
    That way, my bed stays clean.
    man....what didnt i think of that?! always crumbs in the bed *mumblegrumble*
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Basically repeating what everyone else said.

It's a myth.

If it helps you to not binge by putting a qualifier of "I won't eat past 5 pm" then go for it.

If you find that going to bed with a full stomach interrupts your sleep, then use a cut off time.

If neither of these things apply to you, then eat whenever you want.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are like me. I am hungry at night so I eat at night.
    As others have said meal timing is irrelevant.
    I personally find that if I eat two larger meals a day - one of them later in the evening. I feel good. Sleep better. Don't wake up starving. Are you getting enough calories? Open your diary maybe?
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I as told it doesn't matter when you eat, but it was recommended to me not to eat carbs 3-4 hours before bed.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to address why you feel hungriest in the evenings and why you give in to binges. :ohwell:

Have you ever stopped to think how you're feeling when you get the urge to binge? Is it boredom, stress, some other trigger?

Understanding the triggers to binges is often the best step to knocking them on the head.

Good luck!

This.
    You say you cannot control your appetite at night and are crazy hungry, so.unless youre starving yourself throughout the day, there is somethin more to this. Perhaps at night you are lonely or dealing with a ton of stress brought home from work/school... you may have conditioned yourself to eat to deal with these things rather than facing the issue and finding another way to deal. Think about this- have you ever snacked at night or binged and did not remember much of what your food taste like? (Meaning your mind wasnt really present while you were munching) then once you are done eating that item, you think you are still hungry so you move on to the next thing.
    I went through this and its a serious issue. If you think stopping eating ar a certain hour will help, think again. You need to attack theissue at its root cause and figure out a way to better dealwith negative emotions first, before you can think placing restrictions on yourself will help. If you would like to talk just message me. I can give you ways that I overcame this very issue. Best of luck!
  • JulieWH94
    Options
    Well, my personal trainer recommended that I don`t eat carbs from anything other than vegetables after 7 pm, but he said that eating proteins and vegetables later than that was ok. But I`m trying to lose some fat, and not muscles ;)
  • AlbionLass
    AlbionLass Posts: 136
    Options
    I don't eat after 5 pm but that is just the routine that works for me. Meals at 8, 12 and 4-5.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Well, my personal trainer recommended that I don`t eat carbs from anything other than vegetables after 7 pm, but he said that eating proteins and vegetables later than that was ok. But I`m trying to lose some fat, and not muscles ;)

This is known as broscience. That's why his job title is Personal Trainer and not Registered Dietitian.
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds 2 years ago. I did all the right things; ate healthy, worked out 4X a week, got plenty of rest. I experimented a little bit during those 9 months of weight loss.
    If I consumed most of my calories in the afternoon and evening (I was eating 1300 calories per day) I would maintain or lose less per week than if I had a hardy breakfast and lunch and scaled down my dinner and NO snack after dinner.
    I know the logic says that its strictly based on calories in vs calories burned. But I work in the medical field and there is a LOT more going on inside our bodies than just that. Metabolism is a very complicated idea.
    So that's my own experience and it is what I use today. I have had a similar issue that you have; lost 30+ pounds and then put 10-15 back on within 6 months. So, needless to say, I'm back at it and following what I did before.

:flowerforyou:

It is true that our circadian rhythms strongly affect our metabolism, although the research that is revealing this is just coming out of labs now. How that will affect the way people eat once the data reaches the mainstream will be interesting. At the end of the day, though, it's what works for your body. If not eating after a certain time works for you, then stick to it: )
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Try it out and see what works for you. It doesn't matter from a metabolism perspective but you need to find what suits your particular issues.

Not eating after 5 sounds pretty extreme and unsustrainable to me - are you sure you aren't just setting yourself up for a big old crash here?

How about planing your dinner, and making that your last meal for the day? This would be a much more reasonable long term strategy and means you won't be hungry in the evening before you go to bed.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    As it has been said already... Timing is completely irrelevant. Brofacts like "stop eating before 7pm" and "no carbs after 11am" etc. are distractions from the very simple explanation that if you are losing weight, it's because you're eating well and exercising. If you're not, it's because you're not working hard enough. People love to fabricate reasons to explain why they're not seeing progress when the real answer is so much more simple.

However, I will say that if you have a history of binging on food if you eat late at night, then obviously you need to do whatever it is you need to do to keep yourself on track. If not eating at night helps you to stay within your calorie goals, then that's what works for you. But it doesn't mean that the simple act of consuming calories at a certain hour puts a magical weight-loss curse on the body of every human being on earth.

You'll find that a lot of people in the industry of nutrition/fitness are so immersed in their jobs that they become enamored with the details of body science and forget the bigger picture.