Weight loss - cardio v resistance training

Options
When you lose weight you generally lose weight from lean muscle mass as well as fat, and that's the biggest difference when you're comparing to losing body fat only. The numbers reflect a very different value because when you lose lean muscle mass you also lose water weight. When your focused on losing weight, you're only looking the numbers and not what the number represents and so initially it may seem like you've achieved more by losing more weight...but in the long run you're actually doing yourself disservice.

Most people make the mistake of thinking that losing weight is equivalent to losing body fat. And unfortunately people also think doing cardio is the best method to lose weight which is why cardio has become synonymous with burning fat. For this reason, it's what most people resort to when they begin a fitness regimen, and sadly the false belief is further strengthened because almost everyone will see some weight loss using this approach in the beginning. To add fuel to the fire, when you incorporate strength training into your fitness regimen it's not uncommon to see weight gain at first...gasp! Although it's temporary, it's enough for many people (especially females) to abandon the whole idea of ever using strength training as a part of their fitness regimen. This is why whenever you go to any gym at peak hours, the cardio machines are all full! I'm sure everyone on the cardio machines are thinking: Cardio = Weight Loss = Fat Loss. If they only knew what was really happening: Cardio = Weight Loss = Fat Loss + Lean Muscle Loss.

At first glance the above equation doesn't seem like a big deal. So what if you lose some lean muscle mass...at least you're losing weight right? Although that may be (partially) true, especially if you're in the obese category where weight loss is important, there's a strong reason why losing lean muscle mass is not recommended, even if it means you'll lose more weight.

Having lean muscle mass isn't only for looking good, it's also been shown to greatly improve insulin sensitivity. Lack of insulin sensitivity not only causes you to gain weight and increase your body fat, but it also makes you susceptible to serious diseases such as Diabetes type 2, as well as other serious metabolic disorders. Poor diet, lack of exercise, lack of rest and stress combined with all the modern conveniences make for a perfect scenario for getting insulin insensitivity, which is why the rate of diabetes and obesity has exploded recently. This is why regaining your insulin sensitivity is even more important to ensure that your metabolic processes are working optimally so you can prevent serious metabolic disorders, effectively lose body fat and achieve optimal health.

The best way to achieve gains in lean muscle mass is performing compound movements using challenging loads to stimulate your muscles. The load should be heavy enough that you can perform between 6 - 12 reps without compromising form. You also want your body to be under tension for at least 20 seconds to as long as 120 seconds to maximize your muscle activation. (As a side note, lifting heavier challenging weights has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity as well.) Lastly, it's important that you perform the exercises with enough intensity to elicit fat burning hormones so you can build lean muscle and burning fat at the sametime.

Also, keep in mind that getting a lean and fit physique has more to do with losing body fat while maintaining (or gaining) lean muscle mass than losing weight. In fact, when you get to a relatively low fat body fat percentage such as 14 - 17% for men and 21- 24% for women, weight loss becomes somewhat irrelevant. You can lose fat and gain lean muscle at the same rate so your body weight actually doesn't change much at all, while still dramatically improving your physique.

So if you've been misled to believe that losing weight means losing fat, it's time you stopped focusing on the just losing weight. Although losing weight is part of the process, it should never be done while sacrificing your lean muscle mass. Shifting your focus on losing body fat while maintaining (or gaining) lean muscle mass is a more accurate measure of your health, fitness and of course your physique.

Replies

• nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    im researching this atm but have no idea where to start! great post though
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Amen Brother!!!
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Also, keep in mind that getting a lean and fit physique has more to do with losing body fat while maintaining (or gaining) lean muscle mass than losing weight. In fact, when you get to a relatively low fat body fat percentage such as 14 - 17% for men and 21- 24% for women, weight loss becomes somewhat irrelevant. You can lose fat and gain lean muscle at the same rate so your body weight actually doesn't change much at all, while still dramatically improving your physique.

I agreed up until here. It is actually quite difficult to gain lean muscle and lose fat at the same time. It is much more effecient to do bulk and cut cycles where during the bulk you eat at a caloric surplus and do everything you mentioned so most of your gain is lean muscle, the for the cut cycle you eat at a small deficit and do what you suggest to lose body fat while retaining lean muscle.

Unless you are new to working out or returning after an extended period of not lifting it is extremely difficult to have lean muscle gains while in a caloric deficit or while losing fat.
  • veronadeau
    Options
    So true great post!
  • ask4itall
    ask4itall Posts: 37
    Options
    Concur
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    bump
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Amen. Cardio endurance training lead to me being skinny fat. I'm correcting that over the next 6 months or so. The bad part is that I _believe_ if I'd just done weights and lite cardio over the last year I would have already achieved my goals.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I agreed up until here. It is actually quite difficult to gain lean muscle and lose fat at the same time. It is much more effecient to do bulk and cut cycles where during the bulk you eat at a caloric surplus and do everything you mentioned so most of your gain is lean muscle, the for the cut cycle you eat at a small deficit and do what you suggest to lose body fat while retaining lean muscle.

Unless you are new to working out or returning after an extended period of not lifting it is extremely difficult to have lean muscle gains while in a caloric deficit or while losing fat.
    [/quote]

Eric, thanks for pointing this out. I am returning to weight training and weight loss after having my second child at 36. It's been almost 1.5 years since I quit training due to being pregnant. I didn't know how weak I was until this week. I need to lose both body fat AND gain my muscle back and I'm having trouble finding the balance of food/cardio/strength training. I'm confused more than anything because there are SO many people out there with their own ideas. Your statement helped guide me a little more.
  • kathyhaf1
    kathyhaf1 Posts: 80
    Options
    I've been asking this same question on my wieght loss/ health journey. Lest we not forget that lean muscle also burns more calories at rest than fat does. But, you do need some cardio to keep your heart healthy.
  • OriginalWhatTheHelen
    OriginalWhatTheHelen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Women, please listen. Please lift. It's fun.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what is happening to me. I came in here with about 20-25 lbs I wanted to lose. Been at it 2 1/2 months....have always worked out, but about 2 weeks into mfp I started 30ds ... did 3 weeks, then went back to the gym and started lifting *heavy*. I've been at that for 4 week. In those 7 weeks, I only lost about 5 lbs., but I did lose 9 inches. My jeans are hanging on me and my body feels *much* stronger/leaner. I am totally addicted to heavy lifting now. I can certainly see how it will sculpt my body to a better form than just sticking with cardio/lighter weights. So, I'm one who did lose fat and gain lean muscle at the same time. Love it.
  • mcnibbleton
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post!
  • niccig101
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of cardio on days that i'm lifting
    and up to 60 minutes when it's a recovery day for my arms

here are a few things BESIDES cardio that i do

-9 different sets up PULL UPs
    -3 sets of DIPS
    -bicep curls with 25lbs
    -i work with 25lbs kettle bells to build up my obliques (penguins)
    -lat pull downs on 60lbs
    -regualr pull downs with 60lbs
    -rows with 60lbs

I have not done much leg liftting. mostly because all the good machines are taken when i am in the gym.
    so i use cardio as my leg builders (not the best idea, but its working for me so far)

i love to lift at the gym! especially in front of the guys! they look to intimidated seeing my biceps!
    so, you will impress a guy at the gym more with lifting instead of walking, running, and only doing ABS.
    The one trainer at my gym LOVES seeing women lifting, squatting, or whatever. he thinks it's awesome!
    so, if you're trying to pick up a date at the gym, you better get off those cardio machines!
    ha ha ha ha!
    LIFT! you wont look like a disgusting woman on steroids. if anything you will look more toned!
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Very well said!
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    Great post!
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Great post. I wish more women would lift heavy. It transforms your body and women DON'T look masculine if they lift heavy.
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    This is a great thread!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Experiencing this for myself and loving it! Just starting out so hoping to take advantage of the "beginner's advantage!" :happy:
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've started what I class as lifting weights, I've been doing the 30DS with 2 x 2.5kg dumbbells. I do this about 2-3 times a week and I also do 3 x 1 hour intense cardio.

My arms are killing and sometimes get the shakes! so i must be doing something, right?

I've just gained 4lbs in the last 10 days but lost inches.

where do I start with weights - at home? What weight is enough? I used to rsi in my wrists years ago and really don't want to over do it and aggrevate it again.

How much weight and how often is good to make a difference?

(Holiday in 9 weeks and want to be 2 dress sizes down - whether it shows in inches or weight on scale I don't care- but think inches are better as I would love to be toned - probably a very long way off for me).

Thanks. x