losing 1 lb per week settings

Options
I have found that I have lost more weight quicker with my settings on one lb per week than the 2 lbs per week settings at 1200 calories. I am not complaining just wondering if anyone else has had the same result too?

Replies

• nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    yep. 2 lbs a week only works if you're really obese.
  • bluemoonvirgin
    bluemoonvirgin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip! My weight hasn't moved for a month now and its getting on my nerves - I'm going to change my settings IMMEDIATELY and see if that makes any difference :happy:
  • AMBERLY123
    Options
    I am eating UNDER my calories everyday and the trainers at my gym say I MUST increase my calories to keep from going into "storing mode". Kind of makes sense. That's probably your situation also. Your body is holding onto the fat when you eat too few calories.
  • Smithvalerie
    Smithvalerie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yep! Me too.
  • imasaf
    imasaf Posts: 8
    Options
    If eating more makes you lose more weight, it means you were prob eatting too few calories....
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    The settings are wonky for short folks like me, mfp gives me the same calorie goal for 1 or 2 lbs a week (1200) and shows I'll only lose 0.9lbs per week. So no different results for me, because the system doesn't change anything.:cry:
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm over 20st and 6ft tall, and on -2lbs a week, but when I start a plateau the first thing ill do is drop to -1lbs a week for 4 weeks to see if they helps - ill also eat more, but still good foods :o)
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    yup, i lost for awhile at 1200 cals, then sort of plateaued. I upped my cals to 1400, which MFP says is .6lbs per week loss, but i have been losing 1.5-2.5lbs per week since doing so.
  • lisaap77
    lisaap77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    yup same thing here. I think the 2lb/wk setting really only works for the morbid obese. I'm not complaining either. The 1lb/wk works for me and it's realistic. This is something I can do long term!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The settings are wonky for short folks like me, mfp gives me the same calorie goal for 1 or 2 lbs a week (1200) and shows I'll only lose 0.9lbs per week. So no different results for me, because the system doesn't change anything.:cry:

I am also short, (5'1") and current weight is 152.2 MFP had me at 1200 and i increased it recently to 1400. i feel better and am losing better!! :)
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that it was something to do with the height. All I know is that I feel much better and have lost about 4 lbs in 20 days which is quite good since I was slacking for a while and am currently back down to where I was. Good to know that if I start to plateau all I have to do is increase for a little while and that works fine for me..lol
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to 1lb a week and the calories are 1800 a day and I don't eat all my exercise calories depending on the day and how many calories I burn. I never really saw a difference even when i had it set to 2lbs a week, losing seems really slow for me anyway. :(
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    its very possible that your body was still in starvation mode when you selected 2 lb loss. once your metabolism is running at full speed there is no need to cut back more calories , you will only do more harm then good
  • undercovermother
    undercovermother Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ha! I just changed mine to 1lb per week and scored an extra 10 calories a day. WOOHOO! lol
  • dontdomornings92
    dontdomornings92 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The sites says that I need 1,730 calories to maintain my current weight, 1,230 to lose 1lbs a week and 1,200 to lose 2lbs a week. Needless to say I am quiet confused.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I changed my weekly goal from 1 lb to 0.5 lb when I was about 12 lb above my goal weight, and then to the recommended maintenance calories when I reach my goal weight. My rate of loss continued more or less unabated through both changes and didn't begin to level out until I was several pounds below goal. It was maybe a little slower some weeks, but not enough to matter, and those extra calories made a big difference in how I felt. I was annoyed when I realized I could have been eating more all along and didn't know it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Yep, true.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    The sites says that I need 1,730 calories to maintain my current weight, 1,230 to lose 1lbs a week and 1,200 to lose 2lbs a week. Needless to say I am quiet confused.

It doesn't give much of a difference between one and two pounds a week for you because this site will not put anyone on a calorie goal of under 1200.
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Me me me! I was trying 1400 or below and the weight did not want to shift. I am now on 1600 and the scale is moving quite fast to my surprise!!
  • rainbowroots
    Options
    where do i change how many lbs i want to lose a week? sorry, im quite new to the site