going up from 1200 calories per day what do people think?

Options

Replies

• Linda6580
    Linda6580 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    How do we find Dan's group ?
  • gleechick609
    Options

Please PM me for an invite!
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Please PM me for an invite!

I was going to PM you but then I got your invite......Thanks for sending it :smile:
  • KellyEdwards85
    KellyEdwards85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing. I've been at 1200 calories for 5 months now. I've pretty much got to my goal weight but i have recently considered eating around 1400-1450. I exercise 5 days a week. HOPEFULLY i wont start gaining weight. I've pretty much hit a plateau where i am now but i'm pretty happy with my weight but want to tone. Does nyone have any suggestions since i've been at 1200 calories for a while?
  • Focusonfifty
    Focusonfifty Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    There's a group called "Eat More To Weigh Less", it is filled with info that may be useful to you.
  • Focusonfifty
    Focusonfifty Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    well, if you're exercising you should be eating back your calories anyhow. Since MFP sets 1200 as the minimum NET calorie intake I'd bet you should be eating even MORE than 1400 calories when you take your workout into account (depending on what you're doing).
    true, plus I don't see how people actually "survive" off the MINIMUM.
  • marla_jones
    marla_jones Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Janineshaw
    Options
    i want to up my calories aswell but im worried i will gain as i only eat around 1200 a day whats the best way to do it without gaining what sort of things should i include in my diet xx
  • fuquatracey
    Options
    You will still lose weight. with the increase in food you may even feel more energetic & want to do more exercise. If you increase your calories go for lean protein, fruits or veggies and they will give your body fuel. I use all of the 1200 cal a day, I like to get in a hour and a half workout each day and 1200 calories is just not enough for being very active. Your weight loss shouldn't be affected by the additional calories if you keep your fitness up...Good Luck to YOU!!
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump - don't want to lose this thread :O)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i want to up my calories aswell but im worried i will gain as i only eat around 1200 a day whats the best way to do it without gaining what sort of things should i include in my diet xx

best way not to SEE a scale gain is to do it without increasing the mass of what you're eating in the slightest. Swap OUT things like cucumber and celery for snacks--your typical "Diet" staples--and replace it with carrots WITH hummus. You'll up the calories and get healthy fat in.

Add nuts, avocado, seeds, olive oil, and others sources of FAT because it's calorie dense and won't really change the bulk of your food much.

I personally think you should brace yourself for a 1-3 pound gain before you start losing and fill your day with whatever you truly WANT to eat that fits into your calories AFTER your nutritional needs are met. So, once you have enough protein and fat then just eat what you fancy--BUT more food = more mass (aka poop) and more weight on the scale for a little while.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing. I've been at 1200 calories for 5 months now. I've pretty much got to my goal weight but i have recently considered eating around 1400-1450. I exercise 5 days a week. HOPEFULLY i wont start gaining weight. I've pretty much hit a plateau where i am now but i'm pretty happy with my weight but want to tone. Does nyone have any suggestions since i've been at 1200 calories for a while?

well 1400-1450 calories is SURELY not maintenance. You should be maintaining on well over 1800-2000 calories with 5 days a week exercising (I'm making an assumption because looking at your profile picture you seem rather tall). Start by upping the fat and swapping out "diet" food for real food--hearty bread, more calorie dense veggies, nuts, seeds, olive oil, fatty fish.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    personally if your training that much then eat well, fuel that body and train hard.
    Its not just about dropping weight but transforming your body shape into the shape you desire and that lifestyle change that comes with the training and dropping those bad habits that took you off track in the beginning.
    Burning off loads of cals allows you to eat some of them back. Enjoy that perk, you earned it.
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    I hated only being limited to 1200 calories. I was always hungry and almost always binging after a week or so. It was a vicious cycle. After upping to 1400 calories, I not only lost more weight and wasn't hungry, I didn't binge!
  • smfrog1978
    smfrog1978 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • emelou6
    emelou6 Posts: 9
    Options
    I noticed when I was on the 1200 cals, I would lose for awhile, plateau and then wobble back and forth between about 5 lbs. If I splurged in the slightest I would immeadiatley gain! It was frusterating. Once I decided to increase my cals (I increased to 1485 via my BMR) I felt better, had more energy, and after the first week I started to lose weight steady. I weigh myself every morning and when I did the 1200 cals my weight was everywhere! I really love my diet now that I have increased them! If you are considering it I would friend "helloitsdan" He is the guru of setting your macros. He also has a group on here that is set up to help anyone who wants to increase your cals and lose weight. Hope this helps!

Dan is great. This is the site he gives all of us to run our numbers and he has a group, "Fuel the Machine!"
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
    Use the military body fat calculator and then the BMR calculator
    It will give you a chart of what to eat according to activity/fitness level
    Set MFP to that number, Protein and Fat to 30%

Macros work out to be 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, .45 grams of fat per lean body mass, carbs will fill in the rest.
    Adapting a strength routine is great too. Stronglifts 5x5 is awesome and New Rules of Lifting for Women is great too!
    Give yourself 2-4 weeks. Weigh and measure!

I have been on high calories since November. I am 5'5 1/2 eating 1850 - 2200 calories daily :happy:

thank you - this is great info!!!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Some folks have great success upping their calories, losing more weight than they did with a more restrictive goal.

But even if you're NOT one of those people, I'm personally of the opinion that it's better to eat a little more, feel a little more satisfied, and lose weight a little tiny bit slower... and be able to stay on plan over a longer period of time.

i agree. when i want to cut weight i eat 1600... maintenance 1900ish... and i am only 5'4" 125
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I seem to overeat still and have to work out super hard to get myself back on track but lately I've seen that if I eat 1400 calories and exercise for a bit it makes the weight melt off.