What do you think of Slim Fast?

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
Good or Bad?

Why or Why not?

A friend of mine is drinking the low-carb one. I wonder if I should give it a whirl or not?

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast is a convenient way of Just Eating Fewer Calories(tm)
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Good or Bad?

Why or Why not?

A friend of mine is drinking the low-carb one. I wonder if I should give it a whirl or not?
    [/quote

The sugar content is high, better off having a protein shake with soya milk, much less sugar.
  • ojell
    Options
    Good or Bad?

Why or Why not?

[/quote

The sugar content is high, better off having a protein shake with soya milk, much less sugar.

The low carb bottles say 1 sugar
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I make one shake part of my breakfast during the work week. I find it's an easy thing to grab on the way to work, and after working out in the morning it's a good way to get some fluids back and some protein to recover. But the idea of the Slim Fast plan of just having one shake for breakfast and one for lunch? Not enough calories. It's just not enough food.
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather eat some actual food with the same calorie content than have a shake with the content. As my mouth and brain is more satisfied.

But if you want to go cold turkey to cut back your calories it could work - not the most balance diet though.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast is a convenient way of Just Eating Fewer Calories(tm)

Exactly. It creates a calorie deficit for you. So does MFP, except you get to eat real food and learn how to eat properly. Unless you plan on chugging Slim Fast for life, you have to learn how to eat sometime. Not to mention, Slim Fast is loaded with sugar and really isn't healthy at all. If one was hellbent on drinking their food, there are much better protein shake options available out there.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello, I did slim fast for a while but then I found a better shake for me.. its called atkins advantage shake and its much lower in sugars and carbs..plus I love the taste! but I know many people who drink slim fast shakes..its a personal choice and it depends on your health as well because I am a diabetic and the less sugar I have the better.
  • lucybell333
    Options
    Pros:
    - Quick convenient way of consuming calorie-controlled meals
    - Added vitamins/minerals

Cons:
    - Not "real" food, so not a way of re-educating eating habits
    - High in sugar
    - Processed
    - Not high enough in protein

I have used Slim Fast to lose weight - it's the only successful method I've found for me personally. However, I have reduced to one meal per day and plan to phase out completely soon - due to cons above.
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Not much. I like food to much. Besides that, when you're tired of the shakes you tend to put back on the weight you lost, and a few new friends!
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hello, I did slim fast for a while but then I found a better shake for me.. its called atkins advantage shake and its much lower in sugars and carbs..plus I love the taste! but I know many people who drink slim fast shakes..its a personal choice and it depends on your health as well because I am a diabetic and the less sugar I have the better.

I have tried Atkins Advantage chocolate with soya milk - its great tasting and really filling!!! AND LOW IN SUGAR!
  • sertcelik
    sertcelik Posts: 22
    Options
    If you dont have time to make breakfast, believe me it's better than eating fast food, but keep in mind it's a can full of chemicals.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    According to a nutritionist that I have seen, Slim Fast shakes really are not nutritious. She is the one that actually turned me on to MFP and suggested that I stop trying to use Slim Fast and eat real food instead. According to her, you have to learn to eat differently, not just drink shakes. :flowerforyou:
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    I usually do a Slim fast shake/bar in the morning as part of my breakfast. I don't usually have time for breakfast but really I just do any protein shake/bar in the morning, I don't discriminate against other brands :)
  • ojell
    Options
    Makes sense. :)

I've never done protein shakes or anything cause I don't like the flavor, but I tasted her slim fast yesterday and it actually tasted good. Like I said, it's the low carb one so there's only one sugar in it 4 carbs and 20 proteins. I thought it might be a good addition to help me get some more protein in my diet. I need to build my muscles back up. I think I've lost a lot of lean muscle. :(
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's never filled me up. I don't get how people could drink two of those and then a meal. I'd be starving. O__O
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 a day during the work week (breakfast and lunch)... mainly because it is cheap ($8.44 for a 12 pack of the Wal-mart brand) and easy. I don't have time to eat before I leave the house because I have to wait an hour after my thyroid meds to eat. I don't follow the slim fast plan at all ... they are just part of my calories for the day. It has saved me a lot of money and calories since I am no longer tempted to eat out for lunch.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i do the slim fast ( or walmart brand) for breakfast and lunch, top up with good snacks and a solid meal (lunch or supper) for the simple fact that it's what i've always known and otherwise i wouldn't eat anything or i binge. so far the nutritional values are helping me make better choices for the snacks and meals i do eat. HOWEVER, i do agree (and am working on) using it only to get body used to having something at meal times, observe values and learn what the heck i'm doing! this is a temp solution and unlike others that i know this should not be looked at for a lifetime food choice, there other options!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It has trans fats. That's the one thing I avoid at all costs.
  • MamaMonkey
    Options
    It's chemicals in a can with nutrition that is hard for your body to absorb. You can find much better alternatives:-)
  • AprilPayne24
    Options
    Sometimes I drink the Chocolate Shake in the morning for breakfast. When ice cold, the taste isn't too bad and it actually does fill me up for a while. I don't do it religiously but I am not against it.