Anyone doing Ideal Protein diet?

Options
This question has probably been asked but I couldn't find the blog so...I just started today with the Ideal Protein diet. I have about 65 pounds to lose. Would love to know what people think of the diet. I've heard only good things so far. Any pitfalls to be aware of, etc?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hadn't heard of it until now but had a look at some of the info.

It looks like yet another high protein low carb diet, there are lots of them out there and they work for fairly quick weight loss. Having said that most "diets" ultimately fail and the dieter regains all or most of the weight shortly after finishing the program.

What you need to do (and I've learned this the hard way myself) is that you need to forget the word diet (except in the context of eating a healthy, balanced diet) and focus on making healthy choices in terms of food and, between eating fewer calories and moving more, create a small caloric deficit leading to slow fat loss. It takes patience and discipline but it can get you off the weight roller coaster that "diets" encourage.

Think about it this way, if all of these "wonder diets" really worked for long term healthier living these companies would soon be out of business - they have no incentive to get you healthier.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work long term in almost all cases. Better to adhere to a lifestyle you know you can do than diet for a couple months then go back to eating the way you like and gaining weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Eastmomma
    Options
    I'm doing IP right now and have tried most of the foods. In less than 2 weeks I lost inches and pounds and so far it is working. It was really hard (and still is at times) to go from eating whatever and not caring to limited food options, most of which are provided to you in packets. The foods are okay but it all depends on personal taste. If you do decide to do this diet, it is very strict and take all of your vitamins. Also, make sure you mix the packets with cold water or it will taste disgusting. Good luck in whatever you choose!
  • WorkInProgress33
    Options
    I am currently on the IP diet as well. I don't look at it as a diet because despite having limited options of foods I can eat, I meet with a dietician once a week (at weigh-in) and she adjusts my program for me. I only eat 3 of the IP or similar products/day. My dinner is usually a lean meat with veggies or a salad. I've lost about 23 pounds since December when I started this program.

I limit the products I get from IP because some of them are really gross (like the eggs). My breakfast is usually the vanilla or chocolate drink cartons along with hot tea and lemon juice. I am also at the gym daily. That has helped me keep off the weight that I have lost thus far.

Good luck on the program and with your weight loss goals!
  • Eastmomma
    Options
    I was told not to exercise while on the program because measurements, weight, and food intake could be affected. What do you do at the gym? I'm only taking in about 800 calories per day and feel really tired but it is getting better. Also any suggestions that helps get you through cravings?
  • sunflower0022
    sunflower0022 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for about 4 weeks. I have lost about 20 lbs, and lots of inches.
    I will say that this is easy to follow.. and yummy!!!
    I HATE diets, so when I tried this one out I actually liked the food. Although the puddings you made are not as good in my eyes. The soups, the chili, and everything else is very good.
    For breakfast I have 1 product
    lunch I have 1 product plus 2 cups veggies (they have a list)
    for supper I have meat and veggies
    for a snack is again 1 product.

I am NOT hungry... I have gotten lots of compliments on my skin and they see a difference in how I look.
    Plus,, I have energy!

I have 3 kids, and I am hugely over weight. If I can do this, anyone can.

My Dr approved it, it is basically what I would be eating if I had a gastric bypass. Which was an option for me.

You drink lots of water, and my menu can vary so much with all of the choices that I have. I still cook for the family what they want, but I eat what I need to.

I have about 700 calories a day... about 3 grams of sugar, about 12 grams of carbs,
    Even if the scale says I didn't lose as much as I think I should have... the measuring tape says I lost in inches!

Any questions just ask me!
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your weight loss, but eating less that 1,000 calories a day on the Ideal Protein plan would really be putting your body into the danger zone -- ESPECIALLY when you are doing heavy exercise. Even if you feel good, you can get sick FAST when you cut your calories too low.

Many doctors would not approve of a plan that relies so much on protein. Eating too high of a percentage of protein can put a lot of stress on your body. (See http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-protein-diets/AN00847 )

Just because a "doctor" created or recommended this diet, that does not necessarily mean it's safe. There are doctors that would do anything to make big money selling books, diet kits, etc that promise quick weight loss
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

The staff of MyFitnessPal is actively reviewing our stance on topics that recommend or promote dieting methods that run counter to our site's own weight-loss recommendations.

In the meantime, please make sure to refrain from attacking or insulting other users.

Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

Please note the following forum guideline:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

You may review the forum guidelines in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your understanding,
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.