What do you eat with peanut butter?

Options
I've been really hungry right before bed. My evening snack of a popsicle or piece of candy isn't cutting it plus I probably shouldn't be eating sweets every night anyway. I thought peanut butter may be a good evening snack that would keep me filled up. I'm trying to watch my carbs also, especially in the evening so don't want to make a sandwich. Other than celery, how else do you eat peanut butter.

I'm not opposed to just eating spoonfuls but me sitting in front of the tv with a spoon and jar of peanut butter is dangerous!

Replies

• almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I eat it every day on bread... Try it with Celery !!! I eat it like that also
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do eat just a spoonful - load the spoon and put the jar away before you head to the couch! :laugh: Last night I was hungry before bedtime, and I sliced up half an apple & dipped it in a healthy tablespoon of almond butter. Very tasty!
  • meglynerogers
    Options
    Fiber One makes multigrain bread that has 50 calories a slice and has 48% of the fiber you need for the day. Toast that up with the peanut butter and you'll have plenty of fiber and protein to keep you full.

(If you're just looking for protein, an egg is about 100 calories and is lots of protein. Scramble the yolk, pop that in the microwave for 45 seconds, and you've gotten a little extra protein)
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Apples, celery, toasted english muffin (sometimes with honey)
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter's so healthy but I would definitely advise to not eat it out of the jar in front of the tv, for that matter, never out of the jar. Portion control is vital and as healthy as peanut butter is, it also has a lot of fat (good fat but fat nonetheless). I have it with a banana or apple. Makes for a great night time snack.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, peanut butter is good on everything!

- on wheat toast
    - on a banana (cut lengthwise, smear a bit on and enjoy!)
    - on apple slices
    - on celery
    - on carrot slices
    - on rice cakes
    - on my finger

Yum!
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    Believe it or not I eat it with Petite Carrots.
  • mrsg0826
    mrsg0826 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think a spoonful is fine. I do that on occasion. Try just getting the spoonful & putting the jar up before you sit down that way you are not sitting with the jar to go back for seconds. Instead of celery try apple slices. Those are very good. Also, if you want a sandwich, try adding banana slices. Hope this helps.
  • emmamcc1981
    emmamcc1981 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    not sure where in the world you are, but in the UK we have a thing called Ryvita - it's kind of like a crackerbread type thing. only
    30-odd calories a slice. that's what i have anyway!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, peanut butter is good on everything!

- on wheat toast
    - on a banana (cut lengthwise, smear a bit on and enjoy!)
    - on apple slices
    - on celery
    - on carrot slices
    - on rice cakes
    - on my finger

Yum!

Perfect!

ONe more: add a tablespoon to hot chocolate. Liquid Reese's right there. (And if you want to make a healthier cocoa buy the unsweetened powder, add it to your favorite milk/milk substitute. Add a little vanilla, your favorite sweetener and mix thoroughly. (Or buy a minimally processed hot chocolate mix where you add milk.) It is about a 100 calorie treat without peanut butter with almond milk. 200 calories with a bit of peanut butter. You could reduce the cals with a sugar free sweetener. And the real cocoa powder has iron and fiber.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    apples - love apples dipped in peanut butter, sunflower butter, almond butter.

You may also want to try the yoplait light yogurts, only 100 calories. I buy the carrot cake and black forest cake flavors and freeze them. I take one out about 10 minutes before I want to eat it, to thaw just a wee bit and due to its being mostly frozen it will take anywhere from 20-30 minutes to eat it.

Great light snack and takes so long to eat it you won't be looking for anything else, as for me it wipes out the hunger and sweet cravings :smile:
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I eat a spoonful before going out for a walk.. but I suppose on fruit would taste great!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    What do I eat with peanut butter??? NUTELLA! lol
  • mammado11
    mammado11 Posts: 26
    Options
    Try adding it to oatmeal. I eat chocolate chip Quaker instant oatmeal with a couple TBL of peanut butter chips (like chocolate chips, but pb ones) its delicious! Might not be that "healthy" for you, but oatmeal is good for you my version is just more like a "dessert"
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    TACOS!!!!!!!!!!
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Nutrigrain Eggo waffle 70cals
    FAV snack
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    A little unsweetened cocoa powder mixed into it and then eat it with apples - Yum!
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I love it on my apples:smile:
  • NordenJenn
    Options
    what DON'T I eat with peanut butter!!! My favorite is graham crackers :-)
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Love it on bananas. Love it on Bagel Thins.

Try PB2 if you are looking to get your fix and cut calories.