Remembering that exercise isn't easy

Options
Since I am transitioning from a sedentary person to someone who exercises a few times a week (at least), I find myself forgetting that it is exercise, so it shouldn't be a breeze.

I've just barely started the C25K program, and last night as I am running (for only 1.5 minutes mind you) I was thinking "when will this get easy?". Quickly I reminded myself that it IS exercise, getting my heart rate up, and the point is to sweat and move my body in ways that I don't normally. Of course it's going to take some effort!

Just a thought I had last night, and I am sure I'm not the only one who forgets this!

From a former (and maybe still currently) lazy person.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Good for you for reframing your negative thought.

Congrats on starting the C25K. It's fun. It does get easier......
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Trust me, it does get easier over time and, believe it or not, if you run consistently and progress at a reasonable rate (sometimes it's hard to keep enthusiasm in check) you actually start to look forward to your runs!

I was a dedicated and highly accomplished couch potato for most of my adult life, if anybody had told me 5 years ago that I'd be able to run for more than 2 hrs without stopping (and actually enjoy it) I probably would have suggested that they had been smoking something.
  • meglynerogers
    Options
    Running takes time to get "easy" or be "fun" and, quite frankly, the first few weeks are the hardest! Doing C25K is a great way to get yourself running slowly and efficiently without hurting yourself. Before you know it, running will be fun and you'll be bounding through 5Ks and 10Ks, and half marathons like they're nothing!

Keep up the good work!
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just realize that running may never become fun for you. If, in a couple months it's not doing it for you, switch to something you enjoy, or experiment until you find something. I really hate most steady state cardio, so I do sprints and weight train. those are exercises I love to do and I've been steadily losing fat and becoming stronger.