Replies

• Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Have you tried kettlebells?
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    People go about excercise the wrong way. Losing weight should come from diet first. Use exercise to maintain what muscle you have.
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    So then don't do cardio. You don't NEED to do cardio to lose weight. There are benefits to doing it, but if you hate it that much, just adhere to your macros and weight train. If you're not losing fat, re-evaluate the calories you get. Know your BMR, and how many calories you burn in your daily routine and just be smart about your caloric intake.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    There may be some type of cardio that you would enjoy. I play dek hockey (hockey on foot.. no skates, thank god haha) and do spin class, both of which I actually like. If you go to a gym, you can try a Zumba class or kickboxing or something like that. Perhaps you just need to find the right activity for you?

I do use the elliptical at my gym as well, which can be very dull. At least there are individual TVs on each piece of cardio equipment at my gym.. that way, I can just try to focus my attention on the show and make the time pass more quickly.
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You like lifting weights (not very common among the female population) that is awesome, you should incorporate what exercises you do so that it as an aerobic effect on your body. Then Circuit training is for you. for example: 2-3 rounds of this simple circuit all exercises to be performed on number of reps then move on to the next: 20 squats, 20 push ups, 20 dead lifts, 20 bent over rows, 20 shoulder press, 20 curls, and 20 dips. Take 2-3 min rest then repeat. done 3 times a week, you do not need cardio. Hopefully this helps.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    zumba baby!

or

go shopping. try on clothes, go store to store, but seriously, try to do it all fast. 3 hours of speed shopping should be a fun way to burn some calories. and skip the escalator, do the stairs. shop in one store upstairs, then one downstairs. 25 flights of stairs is pretty good cardio!
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Do what you enjoy. If you enjoy lifting weights, but hate cardio, don't do cardio. Any type of exercise is good for your body and your heart.
  • carolinenorthrup
    carolinenorthrup Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Start small - like really small! Start with 10 minutes of cardio, even 5 - whatever it takes to get you up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    You need to do cardio in order to efficiently burn fat. I would try and find some cardio that you like. You don't have to be stuck on a treadmill. Try a Zumba class or some of those wii of kinnect games, rollerblading, jumping rope, trampoline.....the sky is the limit!
    Well that's not entirely true. While cardio helps with respiratory system and burns fat when you do it on low intensity, your body efficiently burns fat at rest. That's why BMR and RMR are high compared to any cardio someone does for an hour or 2.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • izziebubble
    Options
    Go with your friends! It is SOOOO much easier to exercise with someone else, especially if you get a liiiittle bit competitive about it. :tongue:
    And do fitness classes - they're normally an hour and it means that you've got someone there to make sure you do it, and you cannot just walk out!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    The only workout you'll regret is the one you skipped.

Go to the park! It inspires me to see so many people running, walking with their spouse, friend or dog...fresh air and sunshine will make you feel good!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    What do you do when youd rather slide down a banister of razorblades and fall into a pool of lemon juice, then exercise?

Wait, but would you rather get cut up by the razorblades, fall into the pool of lemon juice and then be sprinkled w/ salt? OUCH!

I'm sure I can't provide motivation, but at some point, I was exhausted by the idea that I SHOULD exercise and found it easier to just do the darn exercise. There are times when I realize that it's time to stop thinking, time to start doing.
    Find something you like to do, of course. Took me almost 40 yrs to figure out that I like running, as long as I can run outside...

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

*catches quarter*
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is good. I see no problem.
    exactly.
    lift regularly.

if you dont do cardio...eat less.
  • Kailel
    Kailel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do my errands on foot, it's about an 11km round trip to go to WalMart... course not everyone lives that close to town, but really make it not about the exercise and make your goal getting to some place at the end. Walking around the mall would help too. Exercising for the exercising didn't used to do it for me either, but I feel like crap when I don't move, even if I feel like crap about having to move. xD
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    You should try Zumba! It's actually very fun and burns a lot of calories. I just went to my first class last Wednesday and can't wait to go again. Definitely consider it if you love dancing (like me, he he).:bigsmile:

^^THIS^^

Zumba Rocks! You have fun and get your heart rate up! But be warned your calves will hurt afterwards :laugh:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    just do it.

i used to hate exercise. then I joined the gym in january of last year, and have worked out 5-7 days a week every week ever since. it's become part of my routine. cardio and strength training. If I don't get in some form of exercise i feel like i haven't showered!!

sw 303.4 (1/1/11)
    cw 197.2 (down 106.2lbs)
    gw 160
  • JeannieP1234
    Options
    I HATE cardio also, I enjoy lifting weights way more. Personally my body is fairly strong and I just need to burn off some fat. Leaving me no choice but to do some cardio (which made me realize how out of shape I am other than strength) What I have discovered that works for me is to do the same thing at the same time everyday. If you get into a routine, it just becomes something you do everyday without even realizing it, like brushing your teeth. It sucks a lot at first, but just think, it only gets easier and your body benefits from it so much!
  • cbsmith14
    cbsmith14 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You should try Zumba! It's actually very fun and burns a lot of calories. I just went to my first class last Wednesday and can't wait to go again. Definitely consider it if you love dancing (like me, he he).:bigsmile:

You have to try and find something you don't hate. You may be shocked to find out that you don't hate hiking or spin class or strip aerobics or curves circuits... and when you find something you don't hate and see your self getting good at it, you might even start to like it!

I must say that I too LOVE zumba! I never thought that I'd feel so good working out but my energy is through the roof when I'm done.

Believe you me, I still have a lot of those days that I really-really-really-just-don't-wanna- you-can't-make-me-i-HATE-you! don't feel like working out but I try to suck it up and remember how good I'll feel.
    Something else I look forward to is I always give myself a treat with the calories I've earned working out... extra piece of chicken at dinner, or a 150 cal cone at Mc Donald’s. It all makes it worthwhile.

10311887.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    You like lifting weights (not very common among the female population) that is awesome, you should incorporate what exercises you do so that it as an aerobic effect on your body. Then Circuit training is for you. for example: 2-3 rounds of this simple circuit all exercises to be performed on number of reps then move on to the next: 20 squats, 20 push ups, 20 dead lifts, 20 bent over rows, 20 shoulder press, 20 curls, and 20 dips. Take 2-3 min rest then repeat. done 3 times a week, you do not need cardio. Hopefully this helps.

This!! I am the same...Hate cardio...Love the weights!! I can do the squats, push ups, etc....I just hate the things where I have to jump around....I am going to try the advice above for me!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cookieluvsya
    cookieluvsya Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    :wink: