Power food: Garbanzo beans (chickpeas)

Options
I was curious about their nutrional info and was very surprised at how nutritionally beneficial these little guys are. These definitely shoud be a staple in everyone's pantry!

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?dbid=58&tname=foodspice

Here's just a little bit of info contained at the link:

There's now direct evidence about garbanzo beans and appetite! Participants in a recent study reported more satisfaction with their diet when garbanzo beans were included, and they consumed fewer processed food snacks during test weeks in the study when garbanzo beans were consumed. They also consumed less food overall when the diet was supplemented with garbanzo beans.
Garbanzo beans (like most legumes) have long been valued for their fiber content. Two cups provide the entire Daily Value! But the research news on garbanzos and fiber has recently taken us one step further by suggesting that the fiber benefits of garbanzo beans may go beyond the fiber benefits of other foods. In a recent study, two groups of participants received about 28 grams of fiber per day. But the two groups were very different in terms of their food sources for fiber. One group received dietary fiber primarily from garbanzo beans. The other group obtained dietary fiber from entirely different sources. The garbanzo bean group had better blood fat regulation, including lower levels of LDL-cholesterol, total cholesterol, and triglycerides.

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I love it! Reading this as I'm eating my spinach salad with chickpeas on it :)
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I make hummus with them. Great food!
  • BriskaPacojame
    Options
    - Mashed a half cup and threw it on my sammich I'm enjoying right now :)
  • BeckyProctor
    BeckyProctor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just saw a recipe this morning where you can coat them in olive oil and spices OR honey and brown sugar and roast them for 30 to 40 minutes. Can't wait to try it.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    check out Chocolate Covered Katie's blog for an awesome chickpea DESSERT! (Genius Blondies is what she calls them I believe) You'd never know it was made with chickpeas. :) I love sneaky things like that.
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    I love them... tsb of olive oil.. black pepper, crushed red yummy
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I go crazy over them and eat them almost any way they come!
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Just saw a recipe this morning where you can coat them in olive oil and spices OR honey and brown sugar and roast them for 30 to 40 minutes. Can't wait to try it.

I roasted some for the first time last night night and they were really good!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump...To read again later!! :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • StephL0711
    StephL0711 Posts: 141
    Options
    mmm i had hummus and pita chips today, i noticed it fills me up for a good while. oh can someone give me a hummus recipe? i would love to make my own instead of buying the pre made stuff
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    So yummy!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

I roasted some for the first time last night night and they were really good!

Sounds awesome! I love chickpeas.
  • woopidydoo
    woopidydoo Posts: 79 Member
    Options

I do this all the time. I use McCormick's cajun seasoning. It's so good.
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    check out Chocolate Covered Katie's blog for an awesome chickpea DESSERT! (Genius Blondies is what she calls them I believe) You'd never know it was made with chickpeas. :) I love sneaky things like that.

Wow, that's pretty awesome, will check it out!
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ThinningDownChick
    ThinningDownChick Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If u blend them with some natural nut butter and then stir in cacao nibs it taste just like COOKIE DOUGH!!
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    yum...roasted chickpeas are my favorite snack!!! and sometimes dinner...then i can eat the whole can. :)
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    @StephL0711: Hummus is really easy to make. I haven't tried it with dried beans yet, but planning on it this weekend. Just take a can of garbanzos, drain it and reserve the liquid. Then, beat it with a hand mixer until smooth, mixing in tahini, lemon juice and garlic. You can experiment with how much of each of those. If you need more liquid to make it smooth, add back in some from the can. You can also try adding in different flavors that you like. (tahini is sesame seed paste. it might be near the peanut butter)
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I just had hummus 'deviled' eggs for my morning snack a bit ago...a little bit of hummus in the middle of the hard boiled egg rather than the yolk/mayo/seasoning mixture. Only 82 cals & 10g protein...yum yum! :happy:
  • StephL0711
    StephL0711 Posts: 141
    Options
    @ tappae
    thank you so much for the recipe, i hope i can find tahini in my grocery store.