I need people to weigh in with their thoughts, instead of po

Options
I don't feel like I'm completely discouraged, but I could definitely use some words of encouragement or at least some opinions.

I need to lose 72 more pounds before I reach my first GW. Since January 15, 2012, I've lost 22 pounds even. On most people you would see that difference. On me...I don't really see it. I do feel it in my clothes, however. A friend of mine, who only sees me every few weeks, said that I really don't look any different than I did at Christmas. That felt great to hear after all the work I'm putting in :/ In the back on my mind, I was reminded of 2007, when I visited relatives who saw me after I lost 50 pounds. They picked me up from the airport and mentioned how they didn't think they would recognize me after losing 50 pounds, but that I looked just the same.

So here's what I need an opinion/words of encouragement: I already know that depending on where you carry your weight it's going to vary about which part of your body slims down the most and how it will be dispersed. I guess I just feel frustrated that I can't see any difference yet and I feel like I should. Do I need to wait until I hit 50 pounds? 75 pounds?

Please share your thoughts!

Replies

• naseak
    naseak Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Not sure how tall you are, but if you are tall the weight generally doesn't show as quickly. I'm 5'11" and hae lost 23 lbs so far I doen't see adifference but 23 lbs on some one 5'1" would probably be more obvious.
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    First of all, who cares what people see! They will eventually. You are seeing the numbers decrease and the clothes getting looser, so try not to let others and the comments discourage or upset you. Patience! I can't tell you how many pounds it will take for you or others to notice, but I can say that it will happen if you keep working hard. <3
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    First of all, who cares what people see! They will eventually. You are seeing the numbers decrease and the clothes getting looser, so try not to let others and the comments discourage or upset you. Patience! I can't tell you how many pounds it will take for you or others to notice, but I can say that it will happen if you keep working hard. <3

I agree with this 100%
  • sullymanjohn
    Options
    I can't tell you how many pounds it will take for you or others to notice, but I can say that it will happen if you keep working hard. <3

Think I just fell in love with this quote. Well said!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    You will lose motivation if you are waiting for people to notice. It has to come from within you, and you can't hope for compliments.

Best thing to do is not make a big deal about your weight, your weight-loss, your food choices, your clothes, or anything related.

Keep it to yourself, and you will please yourself. You already lost 22 pounds since January! That's outstanding. You already know you're on the road to health. Keep it up!
  • popsical101
    Options
    Take ur measurements in cm its so encouraging wen u see them drop maybe u need to do some toning exercises to tighten it all up aswel u will soon see a difference then x x x
  • tamamommy
    tamamommy Posts: 73
    Options
    I know people will say who cares what others think, but we do care unfortunately. 22 pounds is A LOT of weight to lose so be proud of yourself and know that so many of us are in the same boat as you. If you are like me, I think about food all of the time and I swear I look at food and it attaches to my thighs. Try and focus on the inches, not the pounds necessarily. Make sure you celebrate your accomplishment, not dwell on the number on the scale or how much more you want to lose. Small steps. Keep up the good work!:happy:
  • demorest
    demorest Posts: 109
    Options
    I think your doing great, dont give no nevermind to other peoples comments. You have lost 22 lbs and can feel it in your clothes, I hope that alone would be making you feel better. Your on the right track and soon enough people will take notice!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting weights yet? That's what helps me. Cardio makes a smaller me but the same shape. Lifting changes my shape and people notice- and if they don't- then I know that I'm changing. I can see myself getting stronger every time I lift. It gives me another metric to measure my success by- and some days I really, really need that extra boost.
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    They must be filled with their own self loathing that they cannot be encouraging to you. (I just don't get people sometimes and their hurtful comments?) It is very hard and you are doing so well! Do it for YOU! You are the one that matters. We all want to hear it, but the words are so short lived compared to the feeling of accomplishment. Keep it up!!!
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what other people are seeing or noticing! Soon you will feel good about your accomplishments and your confidence will radiate. I use "my virtual model" to visualize what I look like at different weights (or you can google your height and weight and sometimes there will be photos) but honestly, it doesn't matter how you look, it's how you feel - and 22 lbs is AWESOME. keep it up!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Family can be some real "weiner's" sometimes.

They can probably totally see a difference but are just being butts about it.
  • ACASHMAMA
    ACASHMAMA Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 6 feet tall and have just lost almost 70 lbs (from 360 to 290). People are just now starting to notice, and I have finally gone down a size. I still have a long way to go, but it just goes to show that depending on YOUR body it may take awhile. Don't get discouraged and don't get caught up in what others say or don't say. You are doing the right thing for you health and if you keep doing the right things you will get the results you desire. Best of luck to you.
  • wanetam
    wanetam Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It took a long time for people to notice that I lost weight. I started off at 285 pounds, and I am about 5'8. I think people really noticed when I lost about 50. Remember, you are doing this for you, not for everyone else. Congrats on the weight loss so far, keep up the fantastic work : )
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It is so very hard what you are doing - and look what you did, you lost 22 pounds! Think about what objects weigh about 20 pounds and you lost all that! WOW! Be patient and soon the 22 pounds will be 30, 40 and then 50. You'll feel great and you will begin to notice and others will begin to notice. Keep up the hard work! You are on an amazing transformation!
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think your doing great, dont give no nevermind to other peoples comments. You have lost 22 lbs and can feel it in your clothes, I hope that alone would be making you feel better. Your on the right track and soon enough people will take notice!

For sure!
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Just know that you are doing for yourself. I have lost 28 pounds (a little more than half what I want to), and it took people until just the last week have people been asking me what I have been doing because I look good. This is from people I don't see all of the time.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You will lose motivation if you are waiting for people to notice. It has to come from within you, and you can't hope for compliments.

Best thing to do is not make a big deal about your weight, your weight-loss, your food choices, your clothes, or anything related.

Keep it to yourself, and you will please yourself. You already lost 22 pounds since January! That's outstanding. You already know you're on the road to health. Keep it up!

^^THIS. Years ago, I lost 50 pounds with 40 more to go. I had dropped several clothes sizes. An acquaintance I saw weekly at the time overheard a friend compliment me on my weight loss. The acquaintance asked me how much I had lost. I told her 50 pounds. She responded by saying "Really? You don't look any different." Grrrrrrrr...
  • rcramer7
    rcramer7 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    22lbs is awsome! If you don't think so put 22lbs of weights in backpack and carry it around for a day and ask again.
  • Healthy_Momma
    Healthy_Momma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can relate to how you're feeling. My 18 pound weight loss is not very noticeable, since I still have 60 + to lose, but I just keep chipping away at it. When I get discouraged, I try to visualize a healthy heart pumping away and remind myself of all the ways I have improved my health and overall well-being. You have it in you to accomplish great things. Reach for it and believe in yourself, no matter what anyone else says.