New runner looking for advice.

Options
Hi everyone. I have been on an uphill battle with this whole weight loss thing. New nursing grad as of this last December. I have an elliptical that I have been using, but it the winter weather is starting to melt away, (very slowly) the sun peeks out at me, and beckons me to come outside to play. Sooo... What better time to get out and start hitting the pavement.
I have found a great pair of running shoes and have lots of places to run, but I need some good advise to get started. I haven't done this in a very long time. Any good suggestions?

Replies

• sassika
    sassika Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i started a few weeks back as a total beginner( not did any running/ jogging for 20 years) and I use an itune app program like couch25k and started the program with my better half.

Even so its hard I do enjoy it and I can see how much I have progressed.
  • Loseweight1980
    Options
    Just start slowly. Very, very slowly, like waaay slower than you think you need to. Otherwise, you'll make it 3 minutes and want to die cause you can't breathe. It gets easier quickly if you're already in good shape, but running is just... hard for some people (me included) Good luck!!!
  • lucylou9701
    lucylou9701 Posts: 194
    Options
    just get out there and enjoy it! Also make sure you look up proper running posture otherwise you are going to get really sore :) start off slow and work your way up.... your still lapping everyone on the couch :P I just came home from an 8.5km run and it was awesome... good luck xoxoxox
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just start slowly. Very, very slowly, like waaay slower than you think you need to. Otherwise, you'll make it 3 minutes and want to die cause you can't breathe. It gets easier quickly if you're already in good shape, but running is just... hard for some people (me included) Good luck!!!

Agreed! Once I finally learned to take it slow as a matter of building health and fitness vs. trying to kill myself, I made progress.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the c25k program. It eases you into it with a combination of walking & running, gradually increasing the running time, and by the end of nine weeks, you can run a 5k without stopping. :smile: I've never been a runner - been working out with DVDs fairly consistently over the past couple of years, and I can walk circles around most people all day long - but running was a whole 'nother thing. I'm currently on week 7 of the c25k program and running 2.5 miles without stopping. I have had no injuries, not one issue with shin splints or anything! I've followed the program exactly and it's working well for me.

Search for it online, and if you have a smart phone, download one of the apps (there are quite a few, I have one by Zen Labs, it was free) and go for it!

Edited to add: Make sure you get some good stretches in before you start (each level starts with a 5 minute warm up walk, too), and stretch really well afterwards - I think that has helped me a ton in avoiding things like shin splints and just being overly sore.
  • megarrett87
    Options
    Make a playlist of your favorite songs to listen to, or try downloading a audiobook. You will get so caught up in listening to the book you will forget you are running!
  • gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I want to repeat what AmyRhubarb said.. I'm on week 8 of c25k and I also didn't experience any injuries.. Just don't give up.. Weeks 3 and 4 were really tough on me mentally and I wanted to quit.. But I kept running and repeating to myself "This is nothing, this is nothing!" Now i'm running 25 mins non stop.. and you really have to look back at what you accomplish..

I think running outside is way more of an accomplishment than running on a machine. The pavement is hard.. It's a tougher battle... but it is so much more rewarding!

Good Luck!
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! More runners!

First of all, I love C25K. Great way to get started.

Also, read "Born to Run." It is SO. FREAKING. MOTIVATING. I had to keep putting the book down because it made me want to get off the couch and RUN!

Lastly, not to harsh your vibe, but I ran and ran and ran and ran thinking that if I just kept upping my mileage, I would finally lose that stubborn weight! It didn't work. I highly recommend alternating running days with weight lifting days. Strongly recommend "New Rules of Lifting for Women." Once I started lifting heavy *kitten*, I started really gaining muscle and losing the fat (and it helped keep my knees and feet strong and stable for running!).

Welcome to the pavement!!!
  • Sassi50
    Sassi50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I suggest C25K....it gives you a scheduled, slow approach to running. You "learn" how to run properly. Take your time, repeat a week if you need to and pay attention to your breathing. But more than anything, get out there and enjoy. Don't stress if you can't go fast, or far....just realize that you are out there and not sitting on the sofa!!!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! More runners!

First of all, I love C25K. Great way to get started.

Also, read "Born to Run." It is SO. FREAKING. MOTIVATING. I had to keep putting the book down because it made me want to get off the couch and RUN!

Lastly, not to harsh your vibe, but I ran and ran and ran and ran thinking that if I just kept upping my mileage, I would finally lose that stubborn weight! It didn't work. I highly recommend alternating running days with weight lifting days. Strongly recommend "New Rules of Lifting for Women." Once I started lifting heavy *kitten*, I started really gaining muscle and losing the fat (and it helped keep my knees and feet strong and stable for running!).

Welcome to the pavement!!!
    I'm reading that book now! Checked it out from the library (and have renewed it three times! :tongue:) and am pretty much through all the reading, but need to figure out how I can do it at home. No room for a home gym here, and no cash for a gym membership at the moment. I have some dumbbells but my heaviest right now is only 10lbs. But I'm working on it!

Been using the weights with my DVD workouts for a couple of years, but decided to add the running because it's something I can do anywhere (hoping it will keep me from falling out of workout routines when on vacation or whatever) and just to prove to myself that I CAN do it! I'm content with the three days a week of running with the c25k program. I do my regular workouts six days a week, usually get an hour long walk with the hubs on the non-running days, and have one rest day.