Anyone with PCOS?

Options
Anyone with PCOS here? I was diagnosed 6 yrs ago, now finally taking Metformin.. been on it for a week.. starting with a half dose, and finding it's messing with my digestive system.. (to be subtle)

Anyone with PCOS and battling a lot of weight? (I have 200+ to lose)

Would love to hear from you - share support ...

Replies

• DK30096
    DK30096 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm getting tested for insulin resistance tomorrow. My OB thinks I may have PCOS don't have many of the symptoms just the possible insulin resistance but it would make sense with my difficulty losing weight. Good luck!
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There's a group on here called PCOS Cysters Losing Together...you should join! I've had PCOS for probably 5+ years now...theres a ton of us on this site...
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    BTW as far as the disgestive issues, no one told me but really to be on Metformin you NEED to be on a lo-carb diet. Carbs are what really screws with that drug being as it is a diabetic drug. Try doing the lo-carb and hopefully it'll help ya.....I was on it for 6 months, lost 60 lbs but was horribly sick the whole time...
  • alexclareclarke
    Options
    Hi, yep diagnosed 4 years ago, although never taken anything for it, most sites recommend a low go diet. Bizarrely I have been taking antic gal table for a nail infection (sorry if it is too much information) and since then my periods have become regular. Does anybody know if there is a proven link ?
  • wscoll47
    wscoll47 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have pcos had t for several yrs found out what helps me instead of perscription drugs are natural remedies i just started excercising more and i also joined a gym also one thing i have noticed is i dont eat alot of red meats my husband has been a great supporter for me so i would like to help someone else im not on here much but i will help as offten as i can
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have it too. I found that calories being equal (right now around 1400), if I eat a lot of carbs I lose nothing, but if I eat low carb the weight falls off. I don't take any medication for the PCOS, but the weight loss helps with the symptoms. It's not a fun condition!
  • amoslionhorse
    Options
    thanks everyone! i'll definitely look up the PCOS group.. i too have found that whenever I go low carb, I definitely see the pounds drop off. I am pre-diabetic with definitely insulin resistance. This is why the doc just prescribed the Metformin. I hope the flip flopping in my stomache goes away soon!
  • summer_m
    summer_m Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was told that I have PCOS when I was 16 (I am not 23) and I do believe I am more frustrated now then ever! However, I do take and have been taking metformin for many years. For me the first 2 weeks are the worst if I have been off of it for awhile. I get really sick and it just messes me up. However, after the first 2 weeks I feel back to normal on it! Hope this helps!
  • futmom
    futmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Was diagnosed about 7 yrs ago. Have been prescribed with the metformin, but like everyone else its not a fun med to be on. Especially the days I feel like eating any pasta, might as well put my work computer in the bathroom. Sorry, TMI. Mom of 2, had the hardest time getting that 2nd baby, but she is the greatest gift. Hoping that with exercise and a better diet I can stop taking meds and lose the weight I need to lose. Good luck you you all!
  • sren4th
    sren4th Posts: 23
    Options
    Hey,
    I too have PCO and take metFormin since 2007 now 850mg twice daily. It helps if you take it while you eat, but nothing with milk or any kind of dairy product. Plus if you have the "Muffin Top" problem I finally started losing this by really eating 4-5 small meal over the day and I put my food on a small plate so it looks more. Plus stay away from graps and after the workout don't eat any fruits it stops your metabolism and your workout was pretty much for "nothing". Hope this helps you a little bit.
  • sarammorgan
    Options
    There's a group on here called PCOS Cysters Losing Together...you should join! I've had PCOS for probably 5+ years now...theres a ton of us on this site...

I have seen this group mentioned many times, and every time I try to find it, I can't. I've even been given a link to it, and it just takes me to the message board. Is it a private group, do you have to be invited, or is maybe the "official" name something else? I'd love to join because everyone has good things to say about it.
  • fooferg
    fooferg Posts: 3
    Options
    I was diagnosed almost 9 years ago with PCOS and was confused with all the information different drs kept feeding me. I was on Metformin for almost a year and my body started to become immune to it and it quit working. A friend of mine recommended a PCOS reversal program made by Insulite Labs out of Boulder, Colorado, I ordered it the night she mentioned it, its expensive $100 per month BUT it helped me start my regular cycle in only 4 days, yep, 4 days. What makes it even better, I haven't had any major PMS like the throbbing ovaries or cramps, it truly has been a miracle system for me. I am on month number 2 now, the site recommends that you be on it for at least 6 months to ensure that it completely reverses the symptoms of this out of control disease. Here is the link for the site which has a TON of useful information:

http://pcos.insulitelabs.com/

Hope it works if you decide to try it!! :smile:

Jennifer
  • twiztid_princess
    Options
    Hi. I have been diagnosed with PCOS... I refuse to take metaformin and i refuse to be on birth control.. My my sugars go low if i'm not careful, so why would I want to be on a diabetic med... stupid docs... as I'm loosing weight and eating better, my symptoms are getting better. I have like 100lbs to loose and I will do it.. message me any time, i'm a good listening ear.
  • amoslionhorse
    Options

I have seen this group mentioned many times, and every time I try to find it, I can't. I've even been given a link to it, and it just takes me to the message board. Is it a private group, do you have to be invited, or is maybe the "official" name something else? I'd love to join because everyone has good things to say about it.

same here.. i tried to find this group as well.. would love to join... thank you!
  • amoslionhorse
    Options
    The metformin was prescribed to me because i am now pre-diabetic, and my insulin resistance is quite evident. I hope when I lose the weight, it will balance out, and i'll be able to be drug free - I hate taking stuff too, would much rather just live without them.. but they do help, from everything I've read and heard.

thanks for the tips re: pasta and carbs. I know that carbs really are something that make losing hard with PCOS, but didn't know about the interaction with the Metformin. Love this place and the support! :heart:
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have it! ....
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been doing whole grain foods in moderation... especially bread for my sandwich during the week while im at work.
  • amoslionhorse
    Options
    I've been doing whole grain foods in moderation... especially bread for my sandwich during the week while im at work.

Hi Amanda.. i too will be keeping in some good healthy carbs, as per my dietician's advice. I'm going to a Bariatric Educator, and even with PCOS, I agree with them that it's important for me to keep a healthy well balanced diet (I'm learning to do it... so not there yet!) including good carbs. It may take me longer to lose, but i need to do something i can maintain for life, yanno?